The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:38 pm

El Mariachi wrote:
that's because the lightsaber of Darth Vader (in the battle versus Obi Wan) was not coloured in the final print (right after Obi Wan is slaughtered and the doors close)

I've to check my DVDs to see if they coloured it now.

naw. it's part of americans' desire to be politically correct...erm...except for the asians trade federation guys and the black gungans and.... :twisted:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby bobbystills on Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:34 pm

tried to watch sky captin and tomorrow tomorrow world :twisted:
i made it about 1/2 way
it sucked really bad.
watching cd2 of the forgotton here in a minute still need to unwrap.
so far im kinda into it andi hope the ending does not suck :eatthis:

/edit
finished forgotten.
dark city rip off imo
the ending was a let down 4me :(
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:13 am

like the new av.

as a fan of dark city, I'm insulted that you associated it with that flaming nugget of alien turd that came hurtling down to earth under the name of The Forgotten</i>

/me shudders
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:32 am

dinky - Don't you mean 'hoke' in your sig?

Shawshank Redemtion ~2 times.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby bobbystills on Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:34 pm

mw2merc wrote:dinky - Don't you mean 'hoke' in your sig?

lol :D

fyi
http://www.merriamwebster.com/cgi-bin/d ... ey&x=0&y=0
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:57 pm

i watched alien3 extended last night and it makes the film so much better then the shitty cinema version, but saying that its still the worst of the series
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:51 pm

if your a blind, unappreicriative culture barbari... oh right yeah... :lol:
Worst is either AvP or Alien4 to anyone that appreciates cinema and not crap :wacky:

:mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:14 pm

should be "hokey," but I copy 'n' pasted from somewhere, and it was hokie. they both work, since it's closer to slang than standard written english, but "hoke" is definitely not good cuz it would be pronounced with a silent "e" on the end like "bloke." in the interest of posterity, imma leave it alone.

:P
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby bobbystills on Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:32 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:if your a blind, unappreicriative culture barbari... oh right yeah... :lol:
Worst is either AvP or Alien4 to anyone that appreciates cinema and not crap :wacky:

:mrgreen:

LOL

worst is definatly alien4.
and AvP imo is better than 3 and 4 put together :wink:

dinky wrote:
should be "hokey," but I copy 'n' pasted from somewhere, and it was hokie. they both work, since it's closer to slang than standard written english, but "hoke" is definitely not good cuz it would be pronounced with a silent "e" on the end like "bloke." in the interest of posterity, imma leave it alone.

:P
:drunk:
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:03 pm

@dink, maybe you should change it to "honkey tonk" :mrgreen:

@bobby, I can't agree with you about AvP, I thought that was dreadful, whereas Alien3 if anything was technically a really great asthetic and visual exercise, and an decent enough level of entertainment provider. Exteneded definitely anyways...
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby bobbystills on Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:07 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:@bobby, I can't agree with you about AvP, I thought that was dreadful, whereas Alien3 if anything was technically a really great asthetic and visual exercise, and an decent enough level of entertainment provider. Exteneded definitely anyways...

I agree it was a little 2 homoerotic
bobbystills
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby d0c on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:46 pm

i once saw a boring post with 650 replys, and wondered why ppl dont start a new one...
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:56 pm

@ d0c... what ya tryin to say :p

@ spud... ive not seen avp yet but i will just so i can have a good whinge about it, alien 3 extended was ok but it still doesnt technically make sense, i mean we see the queen in aliens and theres noway she couldve actually got onboard the ship to violate sigourney weaver (xenomorphs must be seriously desperate to violate ol' dog breath), shame about the dodgy effects too, is it me or do they look worse then aliens despite being about 5 or so years later
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:54 pm

yes. Aliens is much darker though. a lot easier to get away with FX (cgi or mechanical) against a dark background. the alien popping out of the ox is a little too "exposed" (ambient lighting) and the bit with ripley jumping into the fire is just plain stupid. but they did some nice close ups with the alien behind the doctor. and then there's the Bishop who bleeds red (is he human or not?). that strikes me as a gaff rather than anything else, and you'll see how they fuxor it even more in AvP. :matrix:

on the other hand, A3 was set in a backass penal colony, and all of their equipment is supposed to be a bit...old and dodgy, so I guess there's that argument too (although isn't it like 50-100 years later again, or am I jumping to A4?)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:46 am

Shaun of the Dead...finally. I was worried at the start. pretty boring, occasionally funny, but too drawn out. once shit starts happening though, funny fun funny all the way through. it's no army of darkness, but it's up there.

Shark Tale is just like it looks on the preview. (come to think of it, so is Shaun). anyway...I laughed a bit. could think of far more tedious ways to pass an hour and some change. loved the deniro bits. no comparison to shreks or toy stories though. oh! and there was a new Incredibles trailer that was killer. really anxious to see that one.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:21 pm

that strikes me as a gaff rather than anything else,

Gaff? It's in most versions of the script, and there's interviews with lance about it. It was done purposely the conversation is about Bishop lying (or not, whatever you believe), blah blah So it definitely wasn't a mistake.

or did you mean it was silly? I thought it was actually a neat trip, sending generic henchman for that bit wouldn't have been as good.

Changing that bloody stupid chest bursting scene from ripley alone was enough to knock number 3 up a notch :lol: *blam* :lol:

although isn't it like 50-100 years later again, or am I jumping to A4?)

Nope, its immediately after aliens. You can see the date on the computer a few times iirc.

Whilst on the subject, A4 and AvP forgot the important rule of the franchise... nothing is clean. It's the same thing that's wrong with the new star wars, everything looks brand new and that's just plain silly. (I mean outside the actual medical rooms in A4 of course)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:54 pm

AvP spoilers in here:

well...a gaff in the sense that it's an ill-conceived move. but yeah, that does make a lot more sense if it's within a year or so of the actual Bishop model we see in Aliens (of course, that makes it extremely stupid that the guy in A3 is a robot if they've got synthetics bleeding real blood now - then A4 it's white again - then AvP puts the motherfucker alive, human, and obliterated in 2004)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:00 pm

Well if you think about it, with the huge need the corporation has for the Alien for its weapon division, maybe they sent out a prototype?

I didn't mind.... but AvP is junk (spinoff showcase!), Mr Anderson has proven since the begining of his career he has no respect for the fans or established story of the franchises he bases his movies on. He probably hasn't even watched Alien all the way through ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:36 am

yeah, but then again, neither does George Lucas. which is just so sad, it's funny.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:38 am

Big Trouble in Little China - Fucking hillarious. Gotta love this one.
Captain Ron - Light hearted comedy. Always a good watch.

No not a KR fest, just happened to be the next in alpa order.

The Tuxedo - Not bad. Wasn't sure what to expect. Decent.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

PreviousNext

Return to General