The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:18 pm

so its not worth me seeing dog soldiers then?

Fuck yes it is, its awesome. Best british horror film for ages when it came out, miles better than 28days later. It's not grounbreaking, but its bloody good and friggin gorey. More british horror movies should be in this class.

Its my favourite werewolf movie probably, definitely in the top 3.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby mw2merc on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:18 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:so its not worth me seeing dog soldiers then?

Sure, watch it. Just so I'm not the only one disappointed in it.

maxpayne2409 wrote:and merc.... i think your asst mgr is..... a scottish git, i too also quote MPHG a lot, along with life of brian, the monty python team are comedy legends

Not sure about Scottish. Maybe I quote it alot cause I'm ~3/4 English too. :lol: MP/HG kicks tons of arse. I use the 'Help, help, I'm being represed!' at work alot, even though I'm not.

spudthedestroyer wrote:Fuck yes it is, its awesome. Best british horror film for ages when it came out, miles better than 28days later. It's not grounbreaking, but its bloody good and friggin gorey. More british horror movies should be in this class.

Its my favourite werewolf movie probably, definitely in the top 3.

I still disagree, but I'll dig up my vhs copy & watch it again so I can be more specific. I did like 28 Days Later, alot. I like the apocolyptic movies, like Omega Man and Damnation Alley.

Watched Better Off Dead again. Fucking good flick. 'Lane, I've been in highschool 7 years, I'm no dummy' - Charles DuMar
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:48 am

better off deads a cool film, john cusacks a great actor
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:40 pm

imo 28days later was crap next to Dog Soldiers :o

It was one of the best, no nonsense movies I'd seen in a long time. It was very simple, well acted, very british, very gorey, and very effective.

I'm really surprised you haven't seen it max, it went down a storm and got massive reviews/previews pretty much everywhere, most harloding the return to great british horror productions that we hadn't seen since the death of amicus.

As far as werewolf movies goes, its the Near Dark of werewolves.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:24 pm

i have dog soldiers somewhere, guess ill have to dig it out, i know what u mean about 28 days later tho, i was really really looking forward to seeing it, and i felt really let down by it, it was tolerable until tehy met those army guys in the mansion then it just went below the point of decency and was ubershit
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:50 pm

I'm watching 'Jacob's Ladder' at the moment :mrgreen:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:17 am

wat the smeg are you doing writing about it, that movie rules!

@ max, make sure you don't have the cut version of dog soldiers. Its very gorey and the us version had some problems, one was cut on the gore front, and the tvrip from the scifi channel had all the swearing removed.

The first link on the frontpage is verified as uncut :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:37 am

ah ive no idea if mines cut or uncut, i downloaded it ages ago when the dvd first came out, ill have to check the runtimes of it and the uncut to check, incidently another brit horror film i enjoyed was Deathwatch, which i believe has only jsut gone stateside a month or 2 ago?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:36 am

well its all in the tag, if you take a quick scout to the frontpage. One of them has "Cut?" next to it, that rip is cut. The top one (is it finale? I dunno) is uncut. If you get the bucky one, thats a tv rip with the swearing cut out.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:17 am

Finished watching Paycheck. It was OK, nothing great, but not crap either.

Caught Ace Ventura on TV. Not the whole thing, but I still love it.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:29 am

I might have said it already, but ace ventura I never liked much as far as Carey films go.

I watched The Day After Tomorrow.... not as bad as I expected, but still pretty smeg awful. lol @ the third world countries letting us in referring to mexico :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Blade Runner on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:07 am

mw2merc wrote:Finished watching Paycheck. It was OK, nothing great, but not crap either.

Bad Hairflick spoiled it for me :matrix:
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:46 am

u know spud im not very keen on ace ventura either, altho ill admit i did quite like bruce almighty (even tho morgan freeman was in it)

ive seen paycheck and despite the fact bong asslick was in it i thought ti was pretty ok, better then a lot of films to come out recently of course thats not saying much
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:05 pm

u know spud im not very keen on ace ventura either, altho ill admit i did quite like bruce almighty (even tho morgan freeman was in it)

Tuman Show was the best I saw him in but that was straight acting.

As far as his comedies go, I l thought The Mask and the multiple personality one, me, myself... were alright. I have nothing against Carey, and have nothing against Bruce Almighty. I just think Ace was a bit slim on the laughs and seems to be given too much credit as a comedy :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:11 pm

as far as straight acting for carrey goes i also enjoyed truman show, i have to admit he was in his element in me myself and rene zellweger, which was one of the reasons i watched in teh first place lol.

ace ventura 1 and 2 were certainly nothing too great, and i didnt see what was so good about dumb & dumber either, and i thought the cable guy was a bit crap really but with odd (litterally as well as figuratively) moments of funniness, like when he does the star trek kirk vs baddie fight music in teh mediavel restaurant place
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:34 pm

Damn... I would have thought you loved Carey films giving your (no offense) somewhat dodgy love for american comedy movies. They seem the same kind of ones to me, but good on you, I maybe able to redeem you yet (by that I mean brainwash of course :lol:)

Anyways, sarcasm aside, I watched Twins ( :o ), Mad Max 3 ( :cry: ), and after all that crap.... Roman Polanski's Fearless Vampire Slayers! I'd totally fogotten how awesome that film was.

Incidently, they were all on tv, don't think for a second I went out of my way to get a copy of those first two monstrosities, I just hadn't seen the first one since the 80s and Mad Max 3... well, ever (although I knew it would be terrible... just not that terrible). I mean Mad Max 2 has that ace lorry chase scene in it, so I thought perhaps some decent action.... but oh no, we get mongols strapped to elastic instead :-o (Mel Gibson of course being the biggest mongol)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:21 pm

:?

can never tell which mad max people are referring to. there's that highly aussie one. then road warrior. then beyond thunderdome. then maybe something with kids living in a canyon??? is that right?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:42 pm

@ dinky - Mad max is mad max, mad max 2 is the road warrior, mad max 3 is beyond thunderdome, until next year thats all the mad max that exists

@ spud - thats what you get for putting tina turner in a film, and with regards to twins..... it couldve been worse..... it couldve been *GULP* Junior :-o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:13 am

can never tell which mad max people are referring to. there's that highly aussie one. then road warrior. then beyond thunderdome. then maybe something with kids living in a canyon??? is that right?

lol, they are all really aussie. Maxpayne is right, except he's speaking from a european standpoint, I believe in the states, it went mad max2, mad max 3, theatrically, mad max 1 didn't make it over there till after Road Warrior launched, which is why its called road warrior. In the correct order:

There's the one that still pretty 'normal' as far as technology goes, just called Mad Max. There's roads, people not wearing stupid outfits, proper police (of which Mad Max is one).... then a gang of some discription kill his wife and child (drive over him on the road :lol: )... I forget what exactly happens in this... I can't remember it very well.

The second, or to americans, the first (you silly people :lol: ), was Mad Max 2, or known to the people that can't count (MPAA execs) Mad Max: The Road Warrior. This is the one with the guy in the chopper, with that really cool camera of Mel Gibsons, head poking out of the chopper, looking down on him and the ground. Its also the one with the mongol kid with the boomarang that sticks in that chick-lads head. There's like a city where they have an oil drill. Basically, they trick mel and make him think he's driving a tanker full of oil, whilst the rest of them leg it in buses with all the oil. We then get an excessive chase scene and crash. The chase scene in this is actually very respectable, really good bit of action scene.

Now the third piece of shit is the one with tina...f*cking... turner, the chopper guy back for reasons beyond me, and those kids with the crayons (omg, the only thing worse than tina turner is a mongoloid kid telling a idiot kids story with a stupid aussie accent), it also has the midget and the speff cellotaped together. and Mel and the mongol (or is that the mongol and the other mongol?) fighting on bungee ropes. Add into the mix an utterly crap train scene and we have ourselves a contended for the imdb bottom films ;)

max, :lol: I think they should replace capital punishment in texas with repeat viewing of Junior.... okay call me extreme if you will, but you have to be hard on these criminals :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:22 am

Until next year

Oh dear.... I don't like the sound of that :-o

/me checks imdb

Akirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaa................ Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345292/

oh dear, oh dear, from the writer/director of all the other mad maxs... oh and Babe: Pig in the City :cry:

oh and to break from this crap, I watched Brainstorm on TCM
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General