The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:06 pm

watched Wayne's World last wednesday. Wayne's World is so much cooler than Austin Powers :D

Probably going to watch B5: Call to Arms tonight. Then its just the Crusade series and "To Live and Die in Starlight" in the B5 spectrum and I'll have seen em all. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby El Mariachi on Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:04 pm

Chronicles of Riddick, I hope they release a longer DVD version.
I liked the fact they had more than one planet location, it has a few space battles.
Basicly I found this a very interesting sequel and will buy it on DVD.

only minor bad thing I found was the Lord Marshal. I didn't like the character, the idea of the half-dead thing and they way the movie ends.
It smells like another sequel.

Yesterday I watched Laws of Attraction... but after an hour I went to bed. My girl finished it.
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:14 pm

i thought the chronicles of riddick was supposed to be a prequel??
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:38 pm

I know I'm going to be thinking wtf through the whole of that movie. I mean the first one I actually think is a nice film, even with Vin Diesal in it, who is ... well he can't even speak properally. When I heard there was a sequel, I thought, that will be a neat, another horror film... but it seems really cheesy, and not in a Flash Gordon way :o

I thought it was a sequel myself, but I haven't seen or gone out of my way to read anything about it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:26 pm

tCoR is the sequel to PB:

Pitch Black (2000)
Also Known As:
Chronicles of Riddick: Pitch Black, The (2000) (USA) (DVD box title)
Nightfall (1998) (USA) (working title)

Chronicles of Riddick, The (2004)
Also Known As:
Pitch Black 2 (2002) (USA) (working title)
Pitch Black 2: Chronicles of Riddick (2002) (USA) (working title)
Riddick (2002) (USA) (working title)
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:50 pm

hehe, that's just imdb listing production titles, that don't mean dick, those are working titles. Prequels are normally called the original + 1 until a name is chosen. Even then, sometimes the increments are kept after launch, for example, Exorcist 4 is a prequel :)

Unless you know its a sequel or something, but imdb working titles don't really mean anything :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:11 pm

i quite enjoyed pitch black but not because vin deisel was in it as hes crap, so by my defininition so will CoR, i heard somewhere that CoR is meant to tell the tale of riddick before he is caught and made the prisoner we see in pitch black, especially as theyre supposed to be making a pitch black 2 at some point aswell, personally my fave character in pitch black was the captain chick
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Blade Runner on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:20 pm

I was pissed off that Claudia Black got nibbled so early on, she would have been a better fiesty lead that the other tarty bird.
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm assuming that your definition of sequel is opposed to prequel here.

it's a sequel. it takes place after pitch black. it follows the surviving characters from pitch black. it's straight sci-fi. the only horror is the names they used. it has nothing whatever to do with the beasties in pitch black and riddick's eyes don't have any particular significance to the plot. ergo, any title that includes "pitch black" in it is totally, utterly and completely out of place.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:30 pm

no i said i read somwhere it was a prequel, and in since when does hollywood need a reason to make titles stick to what makes sense? putting pitch black in the title would prolly make it more instantly recognisable to ppl who arent huge movie lovers
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:55 pm

dinky wrote:I'm assuming that your definition of sequel is opposed to prequel here.

since prequel means written after but taking place chronologically earlier in the given world/mythology...

dinky wrote:it's a sequel. it takes place after pitch black. it follows the surviving characters from pitch black.

changing the subject and confirming spud's speculation...

dinky wrote: it's straight sci-fi. the only horror is the names they used.

in this case, despite being hollywood, the decision not to name the sequel</i> "pitch black" is fairly obvious:
dinky wrote:it has nothing whatever to do with the beasties in pitch black and riddick's eyes don't have any particular significance to the plot. ergo, any title that includes "pitch black" in it is totally, utterly and completely out of place.

it's not unprecedented. far more successful hollywood franchises have used a similar formula: aliens and empire/jedi coming immediately to mind. and let us not forget Army of Darkness. I would also include the first four kevin smith movies on the list as well, but after having seen jersey girl, I'm trying to avoid he who shall not be named as much as possible.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:30 pm

you mean kevin smith? is that it dinky your trying to avoid the name kevin smith? is kevin smith the name your trying to avoid because of kevin smith being kevin smith and making a sucky kevin smith movie using his name of kevin smith???

just checking :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:51 pm

:o

:matrix: :matrix: :matrix:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby El Mariachi on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:27 pm

Did you guys watch the cartoon of Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury

http://imdb.com/title/tt0407658/

"A bridge of the gap between 'Pitch Black' and 'Chronicles of Riddick' to give more insight into Riddick as a character. Vin Diesel is the voice and likeness of Riddick. Created by Peter Chung who is also noted with 'The Animatrix' & 'MTV's Aeon Flux'. This is a sci-fi adventure that takes Riddick, Jack, and Imam on a death-defying confrontation with an intergalactic bounty hunter."

I didn't watch it yet...
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:28 pm

Watched B5 - Call to Arms. How the budget had increased on that one! Really enjoyed that movie. Noticed that Candyman was in there too :) Also got round to watching the first two episodes of Crusade too.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Blade Runner on Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:31 pm

Crusade eh Image
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby mw2merc on Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:31 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:hehe, that's just imdb listing production titles, that don't mean dick, those are working titles. Prequels are normally called the original + 1 until a name is chosen. Even then, sometimes the increments are kept after launch, for example, Exorcist 4 is a prequel :)

Unless you know its a sequel or something, but imdb working titles don't really mean anything :)

I don't understand how ANYONE could have seen both PB & tCoR & not know that the 2nd movie is the sequel. Seeing that there were 3 people to survive PB, & both the other 2 are in tCoR & OLDER, and seeing there's NO time travel involved ... Not including the main character states several times how they were invovled before.

dinky wrote:I'm assuming that your definition of sequel is opposed to prequel here.

it's a sequel. it takes place after pitch black. it follows the surviving characters from pitch black. it's straight sci-fi. the only horror is the names they used. it has nothing whatever to do with the beasties in pitch black and riddick's eyes don't have any particular significance to the plot. ergo, any title that includes "pitch black" in it is totally, utterly and completely out of place.

True except the eyes. They do have significance as he got them while/after being in prision/s. Don't remember which & don't have it to watch to review. But that's where the title comes from as one prisions he mentioned had no light.

"In order to survive inside of the maximum security prisons where he’s spent most of his life, Riddick’s eyes have undergone a surgical shine job that allows him to see in the dark." - http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=2&c=1073

maxpayne2409 wrote:you mean kevin smith? is that it dinky your trying to avoid the name kevin smith? is kevin smith the name your trying to avoid because of kevin smith being kevin smith and making a sucky kevin smith movie using his name of kevin smith???

just checking :lol:

Somehow I thought he meant Ben Affleck. You did mean Ben Affleck didn't you? Cause most the time I can't stand Ben Affleck. What a putz Ben Affleck is.

Heh heh heh! :twisted:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:18 pm

I don't understand how ANYONE could have seen both PB & tCoR & not know that the 2nd movie is the sequel. Seeing that there were 3 people to survive PB, & both the other 2 are in tCoR & OLDER, and seeing there's NO time travel involved ... Not including the main character states several times how they were invovled before.

I think the point has been well missed, max said "supposed to be a prequel", which sounds to me like he hasn't even seen it. If he has, posting working titles won't change that since they don't mean anything they merely indicate that no title had been chosen during production ;)

What you should have done is what El Mariachi did, and post some summary mentioning the fact pitch black happened before CoR.

Damn, maybe I should see it :lol: I mean if everyones talking about it, it must have at least some value to it...
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:42 pm

mw2merc wrote:

True except the eyes. They do have significance as he got them while/after being in prision/s. Don't remember which & don't have it to watch to review. But that's where the title comes from as one prisions he mentioned had no light.

"In order to survive inside of the maximum security prisons where he’s spent most of his life, Riddick’s eyes have undergone a surgical shine job that allows him to see in the dark." - http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=2&c=1073

that was pitch black. in chronnicles, there's no particular significance. (other than the fact that he is the same character from the previous movie). the girl gets into prision in order to get the same thing and it never happens, but that's a side story. chronnicles isn't about what's-her-face going to prison to get his eyes, and his eyes don't fit into and further the plot in the way that they convienetly do against the creepies in pitch black. it's about riddick squaring off with necromongers.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:03 am

lol necro-mongers? I have to see this movie now, what are the females called? Necro-mingers? :lol:

Sounds like a Flash Gordon style cheese fest :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General