The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:52 pm

saying it's a british remake of the abyss is all well and good, but you should point out it's a tv series rather then a movie remake ;-)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:20 pm

deep? balls deep in bbc pap! Just can't watch anything they produce anymore, its all this new wave of Robin Crud/merlin/doctor who internationalised dren.

I assume its no different?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 pm

i thought the deep was itv to be honest, that's how much attention i've been paying to it:lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:35 pm

Yesterday saw an a Old Classic

"- morning starbuck, whatdya hear?
- nothin' but the rain.
- Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby anarchoid on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 pm

Eureka Seven

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:22 pm

I've been considering EUREKA SEVEN for a while but haven't gotten around to it. is it any good?

I have 4 or 5 more episodes to go in THE THIRD. It's pretty good. needs to be longer to flesh out all the various ideas that it bounces around. but it's good. enough action to keep things interesting.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:deep? balls deep in bbc pap!

I lol'd.. a LOT.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby anarchoid on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Strike Back

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Inception

Like a better matrix (remnants of a plot, multi-layered, actual lead, tighter action sequences) and actually more inline with Dark City, key note from me was good overlaying of multiple events (Peter Jackson take note :lol:)... very suspenseful and well directed. Enjoyed it , don't think it will stand up to repeat viewings, we'll see, but I recommend the movie as its quite an experience. One of the better movies I've seen at cinema this year. Didn't spot the answer for the ending but a friend who went on imdb let me in on the missing bit, you won't feel cheated as you'd have to be really observant.

Toy Story 3

Pixar, you own. Seriously, you own. Good film.

Class of Nuke 'em High

Cheesy crap I've seen many times before, but the lead lass is hot (although her eyes almost fall out of her head in several scenes)

Prince of Persia

Its a bit like Pirates of the Carribean crossed with The Mummy, and better than the latter anyway. Honestly, its not terrible and its probably the best film based on a computer game (not that that's saying anything). As well as being Prince of Persia, it rips off Assassin's Creed very visibily in scenes. Could do with a lot more street running, which is by far the best thing in the movie, and less cgi pap (snakes, etc.)

ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm

oh my god, i scarcely believe my eyes, 4 films that you like Spud, that i also intend on seeing, well i've seen class of nuke 'em high, but the rest i want to see, got prince of persia to watch tonight.

I've heard a lot of people complain about Inception, claiming the plot is all over the place and really hard to follow, and requires 2 or 3 viewings to really understand what's going on, but the people who have said that aren't really the target audience for this kind of film. One of them paid to go see House of Wax remake just to see how bad Paris Hilton was, so their opinion counted for nothing.

Movies i have watched in this last week or so are

Adventureland
Deep In The Valley
Eyeborgs
Predator
The Titfield Thunderbolt
Buying The Cow
Angels With Dirty Faces
Babe
Naked Gun 1
Naked Gun 2 1/2

have seen them all before apart from Adventureland and Eyeborgs, Eyeborgs was a pretty decent concept, it wasn't mentally taxing but neither was it ridiculously dumb either, the ending was different to how i was expecting it to go.

Adventureland was recommended by a friend and to be fair it was an average way to fill 1h45mins

TV Wise i've been watching

The Real Ghostbusters
Deadliest Warrior
Random Discovery/nat geo documentarys about space, time, the unexplained etc
Last edited by maxpayne2409 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Oh tv,

True Blood, no cliff hanger up to the quality of the spine ripper, but not bad. Wish they'd knock of the Sopranos style gayness.

~Futurama, enjoying them... good stuff. Going to stop expecting crapness now, so far the series is really good; a show finally came back from the cancellation and wasn't totally shit (sorry family guy fans)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:49 pm

yeah i'm loving the new series of futurama, it's some top quality tv, family guy seemed to go with the "we were a bit wacky and random before, so now we have to be even more wacky and random, and to hell with the plot"

My favourite new futurama ep has to be the late phillip j fry though, where farnsworth, fry and bender travel forward in time
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Dont judge me!

Malcolm in the middle

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby anarchoid on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:13 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:yeah i'm loving the new series of futurama, it's some top quality tv, family guy seemed to go with the "we were a bit wacky and random before, so now we have to be even more wacky and random, and to hell with the plot"

My favourite new futurama ep has to be the late phillip j fry though, where farnsworth, fry and bender travel forward in time

I like that too ;)

Pow! We took care of the time travel paradox.
- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:23 pm

I've heard a lot of people complain Inception, claiming the plot is all over the place and really hard to follow, and requires 2 or 3 viewings to really understand what's going on, but the people who have said that aren't really the target audience for this kind of film. One of them paid to go see House of Wax remake just to see how bad Paris Hilton was, so their opinion counted for nothing.

Na, its pretty straight forward. The ending is up in the air, unless you are extremely observant, to the point where you are scanning the film for clues rather than watching the movie. kudos if anyone spotted it.

As long as you aren't a retard you are fine. i watched the film and the guy next to me said "so they are in a dream?", right after the guy on screen explained that. That guy probably doesn't get it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:37 pm

still haven't seen INCEPTION. prolly gonna watch an HD rip at this point (i.e., when I do see it).

finished watching THE THIRD (anime). previous opinion about it stands.

liked TRUE BLOOD for the most part. liked that they had producers/writers on afterward to analyze it a bit. didn't pick up SOPRANOS style gayness - not sure what you mean there. but then again, I loved SOPRANOS.

new season of WEEDS and that new C-something series are on DVR along with ADVENTURELAND.

caught I LOVE YOU, MAN on HBO the other night and laughed quite a lot. decided I really like that movie.

that is all. dinky ouuuuut.

PS - except for the first MUMMY being a fun movie, couldn't agree more on spud's assessment of PRINCE OF PERSIA.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:20 pm

still haven't seen INCEPTION. prolly gonna watch an HD rip at this point (i.e., when I do see it).

I think you'll like it, you got a decent setup? The overlapping events are very 'high impact', i'd recommend a good big tv/project and surround sound.

Then again, you did like Troy... errr, for the costumes right? :fruity:

PS - except for the first MUMMY being a fun movie

You think it was a fun movie? Didn't like the mummy, but the shit sequels might have blended into one big horrible mess in my mind.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:46 pm

dinky wrote:caught I LOVE YOU, MAN on HBO the other night and laughed quite a lot. decided I really like that movie.

I've seen that too and quite enjoyed it.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:

I think you'll like it, you got a decent setup? The overlapping events are very 'high impact', i'd recommend a good big tv/project and surround sound.

Then again, you did like Troy... errr, for the costumes right? :fruity:

PS - except for the first MUMMY being a fun movie

You think it was a fun movie? Didn't like the mummy, but the shit sequels might have blended into one big horrible mess in my mind.

wardrobe and scenery of TROY was historically/archaeologically accurate. I liked it in that scholarly sense. the movie was grating.

yeah. 1080p projector, 7.1 surround. The screen's as big as the room dimensions allow. :twisted:

First MUMMY was refreshing and fun. it reminded me of the glory days of indiana jones. never as good as indy...but a nice little hearkening back. like..."indy's our model. we know we're never gonna be indy. but here's our indy homage." direct. action. simple plot. I was dreadfully disappointed by the sequel. complete trash. nonsensical and unfunny, pointless tangents and intrigues. didn't bother to watch the third.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby anarchoid on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:06 am

Carriers

- nothin' but the rain.
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

PreviousNext