The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby Jynks on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:09 pm

I went and saw it after reading dinks post and I have to say I totally agree... I thought the film was really fun.. just so stupid and ridiculous there is no way you can take it seriously.. had some humor... funny characters.. and just craziness .. all in all exactly what I believe a crappy action romp should be... I would recommend this to anyone that is a 80's action movie fan... Like all these moves the 3rd act is a little weak.. like after the introductions and all the fun stuff in the middle they get bogged down in trying to make an actual plot out of it lol.. still even with the weak last act.. it was still really fun. All the actors were perfect as well. I really hope we see more of that South African guy he is a real talented actor.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:52 pm

yeah. one thing I came away sensing but forgot to put in my review was that it seemed like the people who made this movie made it with care/admiration/love for the series. that's not always a good thing (Harry Potter 1-2, Return of the 5 Endkings), but it's easier to stomach philosophically than the rape of franchises (Transformers 1/2, Godzilla). That said, ROBIN HOOD would probably fit in the rapage category, as would burton's ALICE, and they were not bad movies.
:outsider:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:20 am

i think the king of all franchise rape has to go to Indiana Jones & The too long awaited crystal balls, or star wars, infact anything remotely connected to george "i'm fucking insane" lucas
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:42 am

agreed. but that's a different kind of rape. I mean...I felt raped by them, but that would be like tolkien following up the LotR with a prequel THE HOBBIT. or in keeping with the rape analogy: masochistic masturbation...maybe sitting on a dildo while masturbating with freddy kruger's glove on?

anyway...cross posted from FH, I just got back from this weekend's big release:

Toy Story 3 3D (2010)
Paid an extra $4 for the privilege of 3D because it was the only show at the time. And now I'm sure media and marketing analysts will use my ticket sale as fodder to their argument that everyone wants their movies in 3D. :? Nothing about the movie made use of 3D. The best 3D were the previews and real 3d and disney 3d intro screens. So I suspect this was one of those "converted" 3D movies. fuck you! - whoever "you" are. :evil:

Movie was good. well made. far more mature (read: adult friendly) than most of the stuff pixar has churned out in recent years. the story itself was fun, and I only realized it when I closed the garage that, from a plot perspective, they just rehashed TOY STORY 2. no complaints. nothing ground breaking either. solid movie. a lot of stuff in it that would go over my 5yo niece's head - not sure I could say that about UP or CARS...except maybe the house in UP, literally, but you get the idea.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 am

Watched the 2 leaked episodes of season 6 of Futurama... the real season 6.. not the cut up dvd films... some call it season 7.. w/e... New Futurama is the point. Anyway.. I quite liked it.. same as with Red Dwarf, when you really love a show and it comes back it is easy to pick problems in it. I do not think they have the same writing team as the originals so the show dosn't pop like it used to and also has the same problems as the dvds in that they self reference the original series a bit... witch is booring, as we have seen that and want new stuff. Still the show retains its charm I love and I'll be watching the rest of them. Also in ep2 you can get some idea of the lesser restrictions on the writers now they are not on Fox, on the down side though, you can see the production isn't as sleek, it simply dose not look as good.. mainly due to a lot less of that awesome cartoonish 3D animation. Still I love this show and have high hopes for teh sieres and hope it dose well so they just keep making it.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm

True Blood Series 3... good start to the new series, still not turning into a drama like I have always feared so its all looking good for this season. They could probably drop Tara as a character because she really is a whiney bitch. Looking foward to the next episode (and still completely unlike Twilight, sorry bub).

Going to grab series 6 of futurama, i've heard its pretty good and I'm keeping my expectations low.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:57 pm

i've not got round to watching the 2 eps of futurama season 6 yet, because i haven't got round to watching the final movie, and apparently ep1 continues on from that.

Saw teh 1st episode of The IT Crowd series 4 last night (waited for the tv cap, as the web rip was gash), and frankly it was quite a let down, i just felt it was trying too hard to be weird and geeky and ended up losing the humour.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:02 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:True Blood Series 3... good start to the new series, still not turning into a drama like I have always feared so its all looking good for this season. They could probably drop Tara as a character because she really is a whiney bitch. Looking foward to the next episode (and still completely unlike Twilight, sorry bub).

Going to grab series 6 of futurama, i've heard its pretty good and I'm keeping my expectations low.

right. that conversation between erik and sookie on the porch where, in paraphrasing han's words, "he [almost] expressed his true feelings for her" ... I guess you're right. it's not twilight per se. could just be similarly bad acting. :twisted:

agree about tara. jason's always fun to watch because he's a trainwreck. the whole sookie thing is just tiring. i'd rather the series stuck to the flashbacks or some more marieann shenanigans. beginning to agree with max that the actual vamp stuff turns retardedly melodramatic. there are already about 5 lestat's in this series. now eric's turning into one. oye.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:57 am

true blood isn't like twilight... but they are both crap. I do not know how people can sit though that mushy melodramatic crap. I personally find it so painful.. i just can not sit though even part of an episode. I grabbed ep one of season 3 to "try it out" ... lucky i had my vomit bags... seriously.. i had to turn it off pretty quickly.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby anarchoid on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

"- morning starbuck, whatdya hear?
- nothin' but the rain.
- Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 pm

has that guy on the bottom left just got some suprise buttsecks?

Also why is Norm from Cheers in the top right?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 pm

dinky, episode 3 finale. Drop the charade buddy... holy shit, nobody was not expecting that ending! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

"True Blood" gave a whole new meaning to the term "mind-blowing sex" Sunday night.

In the third episode of the HBO show, appropriately titled "It Hurts Me Too," a violent bout of sex climaxed in one lover's head being turned around 180 degrees.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... ces_w.html
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Jynks wrote:true blood isn't like twilight... but they are both crap. I do not know how people can sit though that mushy melodramatic crap. I personally find it so painful.. i just can not sit though even part of an episode. I grabbed ep one of season 3 to "try it out" ... lucky i had my vomit bags... seriously.. i had to turn it off pretty quickly.

yet you took the seance outside the cave seriously in AVATAR? :P
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:09 am

the dancing bit.. totally. Many people failed to see the connection between the ritual dance and the story .. it is one of the things that people chuckle about.. that most people that dis the movie do not even understand it.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:23 am

you've said that twice but you haven't actually explained it either time now.... :outsider:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:23 am

neck snapping, hard sex True Blood vs whiny pussy twilight vs silly dance avatar.
atm, I take True Blood :)

@the drama worries; it seems to be going the way of dark comedy more than drama atm so all is going well in season 3.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

watched ExTerminators http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1209378/ last night, i think i got it confused with another film, as this was some comedy about heather graham and other women who attend a anger management class as part of community service. I thought i had downloaded The Exterminator http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080707/

But i thought i'd give it a go just incase it turned out to be good... it didn't
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:47 am

cross post from FH:

Avatar: The Last Airbender 3D (2010)
It's a kids' movie. I knew this when I saw that it was produced by Nickelodian (childrens tv/entertainment network). Mind you, REN & STIMPY aired on Nic as well. But trust me, this movie a lot closer to SPONGE BOB or DORA than REN & STIMPY. What does that mean? Child and tween acting, for one thing. It was funny listening to some of the lines spoken as I could actually hear the line breaks in the script - mind you, these line breaks adhere to the margins of the page, not the semantics of the sentences. So you get - impossible pauses - in the middle of otherwise coherent - clauses. There are very few action scenes. Those that exist are quite nice for the most part...except it's a kids' movie, so nobody dies...or there's no real violence. This is all fine and dandy. You pretty much agree to such things when you buy a ticket to a kids' movie. So I can't really knock it for that. However, the entire movie is plot. plot plot plot. and then narration to cover plot that doesn't fit in the movie. There's just waaaay too much material to get into this movie. It also doesn't help that, now that I think about it, Shymalan has never handled characterization very well in any of his movies - they're all plot. It's just that the intrigues and spectacle of some of them (or the mysteries!) are compelling enough that you overlook the lack of any depth of character. On the other hand, the movie *looked* really good. There were a couple scenes early on that screamed green screen from the Hoth system, but the look and garb and some of the choreography were great. There were a couple adult actors I thought did well with what they has also (the two fire adults and the one water leader). Every single one of the teen/tween actors was a fail. Although - again - they all looked the part...quite magnificently, I thought.

I mock the other AVATAR movie often enough, but it's on another level from this. I don't know how it compares to the source material, but I'm interested enough to check it out. I anticipate something with a bit more teeth and a bit less...monotone line reading. I also expect not to have the majority of the story elided in a 2 sentence summary. This isn't terrible...if you consider it for what it is: a tweenie bopper production. As an adult hoping to see a real movie...I hate to say it, but I *think* (alas, cannot verify this) that you'll find more substantial material in the latest TWILIGHT fodder, also opening this week.

edit: THE GOLDEN COMPASS was a considerably better (albeit more expensive - iirc) production with a similar target audience and dealing with alternate realities/fantasy themes.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:31 am

avatar the last airbiscuit, boring
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General