The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Series 2 is way better :) That's why I'm hoping series 3 will be even better.

Started watching Breaking Bad. Love it so far (two episodes in) :) Recommended.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 pm

Jynks wrote:Twilight is nothing like true blood.. but imo true blood is a total fail... though I stopped watching during season 1

girl in love with vampire? uh huh. nothing at all like twilight. girl can't decide on romantic relationship between vamp or wolf/vamp? nothing like twilight. vampires dedicated to preservation of human life in conflict with those who want to drink us dry? nothing like twilight. turning into total drama island? nothing like twilight.

it's a lot smarter than twilight, but they're of the same mold. true blood is turning into an r-rated twilight. fyi: the show is said to be aligning with the book for s3 in which sookie can't decide between erik and bill. fucking twilight!
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 pm

finally got round to reading all 6 issues of the 6part comic miniseries "Victorian Undead", basically Sherlock Holmes Vs. Zombies, pretty good story and cool artwork made it very enjoyable, if you can find it i suggest you check it out. i bought all 6 issues

maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby anarchoid on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:finally got round to reading all 6 issues of the 6part comic miniseries "Victorian Undead", basically Sherlock Holmes Vs. Zombies, pretty good story and cool artwork made it very enjoyable, if you can find it i suggest you check it out. i bought all 6 issues

i have in warez ;)

"- morning starbuck, whatdya hear?
- nothin' but the rain.
- Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 am

yeah that's the one, the only difference is mine has more chance of being worth something someday.... ok so nothing like superman #01 is lol but more then some downloaded one :P.... providing it hasn't decayed beyond all recognisation by then lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 am

maxpayne2409 wrote: providing it hasn't decayed beyond all recognisation by then lol

although quite fitting for a zombie comic.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:00 am

dinky wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote: providing it hasn't decayed beyond all recognisation by then lol

although quite fitting for a zombie comic.

yes indeedy, got another batch of this months latests coming this week too :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:57 am

digital comics suck ass... real comics are way way way better
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby anarchoid on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 am

Jynks wrote:digital comics suck ass... real comics are way way way better

before the Kinetoscope are invented, the peoples say this also abouth the films ;)

so you are on the way of the evolving ;)
"- morning starbuck, whatdya hear?
- nothin' but the rain.
- Grab your gun and bring the cat in."
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:26 pm

The only thing digital comics have over real comics are they have the advert pages removed, and they don't decay, but real comics are still better, i agree with jynks, it's like computer games on discs against digital download, i much prefer on disc because with digital download games you only get a limited amount of downloads of it, wheras with a disc you can reuse it as often as you want. Im of course referring to legit digital downloads there lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm

not sure how much sense that makes maxy. you can reread and create exact duplicates of digital comics (which have adverts removed!) infinitely and without doing damage to the material (read "pages" or "artwork"). if you're only interested in the comics (i.e., not a collector), then PDFs are the way to go. you see...they're FREE, and unless you're breaking into your local comics shop each week or picking boxes up that "fall" off shipping trucks, you're dropping a fair amount of money each month to keep up with your favorite serials, their special minis, and the plethora of oneshots and new limited series that every publisher churns out each month.

some people prefer to do things with physical copies. I do too. I can edit on a computer, but I much prefer to read and markup my stuff on a real piece of paper. that's not because it's inherently better (much slower, in fact, with the markup tools available on word processing programs). I *think* it's better because that's what I'm used to, and that's how I was *trained* to edit. people talk about feeling the texture of the page and being able to see the edges and this and that...they're fooling themselves. they're comfortable with the physical version because that's what they're conditioned to use. period.

now the physical version *can* be worth money. the illicit cyber copy will not be. and there are other trophy/sentimental reasons for "collecting" the "real thing." but please, don't sell bullshit about the superiority of the "real thing."
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm

well done dinky you completely failed to understand what i was saying and in turn just repeated everything i had already said but in a way that you thought you were saying the opposite of what i had said.

My real comics are still better was opinion rather then statement, i even agreed digital content can last forever and has no adverts, but if i'm paying money for something i want to actually have something i can hold and see, and the thing about only having a certain amount of uses was just a mention on digital download products relating to videogames, i don't know how it is on xbox etc but on ps3, any digital content you buy from the psn store, now including marvel comics, can only be redownloaded up to a certain amount of times set by the supplier, usually about 5 times, meaning over time if you delete it by accident or your hdd fails, you can only redownload them up to 5 times, then you have to rebuy it.
Whereas with a bought on disc physical copy so to speak, you can just reinstall them as many times as you wish, and copy the disc if the first starts getting damaged.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Max, stay off my side!! lol... I way way prefer digital downloads of games.. steam and d2d rule.

Still with comics... i mean you can touch real comics... the physical act of holding them and smelling them and they way they look is far beyond the experience you get with digital comics. Digital comics is how you test a series you haven't started or read a massive cross over that took place over 2 years that would cost a fortune to read.. stuff like that. But just like reading digital books is LAME to reading a real book,.. reading digital comics is lame... mostly the only people that read a lot of them are just cheap asses who can not afford jack as they do not work for a living.

As for adds.. they rule.. I recently re-read some of my older image comics... those funny add from 20+ years ago are just as fun to read as the comic itself lol... OMG the aweome POWER of intellavision!!!! I agree with Dinky though.. there is a physical aspect to memory that needs tactile sensation. Digital versions of books and comics will never have the same affect on you as real comics..
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Jynks wrote:Max, stay off my side!! lol... I way way prefer digital downloads of games.. steam and d2d rule.

Still with comics... i mean you can touch real comics... the physical act of holding them and smelling them and they way they look is far beyond the experience you get with digital comics. Digital comics is how you test a series you haven't started or read a massive cross over that took place over 2 years that would cost a fortune to read.. stuff like that. But just like reading digital books is LAME to reading a real book,.. reading digital comics is lame... mostly the only people that read a lot of them are just cheap asses who can not afford jack as they do not work for a living.

As for adds.. they rule.. I recently re-read some of my older image comics... those funny add from 20+ years ago are just as fun to read as the comic itself lol... OMG the aweome POWER of intellavision!!!! I agree with Dinky though.. there is a physical aspect to memory that needs tactile sensation. Digital versions of books and comics will never have the same affect on you as real comics..

i don't really use steam and have never used d2d so i don't really know how many times you can redownload the games from them, most of my (legit) digital game download experience is via consoles and you only get a limited amount of downlaods from them, before a repurchase is required. plus i am one of these people who likes to look at my collection and know that i own it in physical form. also the games are no cheaper as digital then they are physical, making all the arguments of digital being cheaper, completely pointless. I know you didn't say that but it is one of the arguments for digital download i hear a lot
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:36 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote: it's like computer games on discs against digital download, i much prefer on disc because with digital download games you only get a limited amount of downloads of it, wheras with a disc you can reuse it as often as you want. Im of course referring to legit digital downloads there lol

it's called fleshing out the issue. I obviously wasn't disagreeing with eveything you said since I repeated some of it. now...does on disc in your analog mean dvd? cuz...that's the only legal way to get mainstream comics anyway. does it refer to digital vs. paper? because, yo...see everything I wrote in the previous post. the rationale supported by your analogy quoted above does not apply.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:16 am

no, again you're missing the point, the "on disc" vs digital is regarding games/movies etc, on ps3 you can download marvel comics every month digitally, and in that respect i am saying i prefer paper over digital, the games/movies thing was just thrown in while i was on the subject
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 am

ah. the piss3. gotcha. that is foreign territory for me; funny that marvel would release comics and sneak it by the dealers. :? I already have a bd player.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:50 am

it might just be in the uk, i really don't know about in the states, i would guess it is bigger business over there then here, i've never once seen a comic store over here that really stocks in a huge range, i order all mine from Forbidden planet
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 am

comics are a dying business. it's almost impossible to make money off of them unless you only order issues that sell. back issues are a business loss. gotta have customers preorder/subscribe. but let's be real...a major percentage of customers just aren't of the "subscriber" mentality. property rentals and taxes are insane given the profit margin. it's a losing proposition to get into comics shops. what's really funny is the biggest mail order place went under about 10 years ago. (American Entertainment, iirc). iunno. we'll see what happens. I mean...comics are a major money maker for everything *but* comics. :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:28 am

wasn't marvel just owned by Disney?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to General