The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby dinky on Wed May 05, 2010 10:27 pm

well...maybe not on a technicality. didn't lucas pretty much fund his tripartite celebration of stupidity himself (or via lucasfilm?) iirc, FOX basically paid him for the right to stick their name on the front of the reel. :lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm

meh believe what you like.. but man.. you guys are so out of touch. Like I didn't like the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Still I would be a pig headed idiot if I couldn't recognize it for what it is, regardless of my own taste. Saying Avatar was rubbish.. just shows that you have NO idea about films, modern films should say, or modern audiences.. You guys sound like some old bag sitting in her rocking chair wanking on about how rock'nroll isn't music or how in her day a puppet and a bit of fishing line was better than blah blah blah cgi. Seriously ... take a look at films like this again.. with critical eyes.. not eyes of jaded old curmudgeons, cause man you guys are OUT of touch it is just laughable.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed May 05, 2010 11:01 pm

i think you're missing the point, we're saying avatar isn't the saviour of humanity that every is making it out to be, storywise it's just an old tired played out a million times in other movies/books etc hack script, Hell it even rips off the smurfs "load of blue guys being pissed off by a human
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 am

lol. smurfs is a stretch maxy.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Thu May 06, 2010 8:18 am

dinky wrote:lol. smurfs is a stretch maxy.

He is quoting south park. The Dances with Smurfs episode.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 06, 2010 12:47 pm

;-) jynks got it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Thu May 06, 2010 2:39 pm

sniff* I watch and play a lot of media lol
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu May 06, 2010 11:48 pm

ah. think I stopped watching SP...shite...10 years ago? after the (first?) movie.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 06, 2010 11:50 pm

the only movie as far as i'm aware, the series did have a bit of a lull for a while but the last few seasons have been awesome
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri May 07, 2010 6:53 am

meh. I don't dislike it. but something about it...I find off putting. iunno. I want to say it's a bit too crude, but I love FAMILY GUY and ROBOT CHICKEN, so iunno...those aren't exactly "high art" as it were.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 pm

ROBIN HOOD (2010)
2 things: 1) I wouldn't call this "Robin Hood" anymore than I'd call O, BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? the ODYSSEY. but it is a nice action epic without completely retarded logic in the political intrigues and motivations dept. 2) I'm pretty sure they're planning a sequel (this is more of a BATMAN BEGINS type of reinvention), and as I said in 1) he's not actually "Robin Hood" (insofar as I recognize him) at any point throughout the movie save...well...the denouement. :?

bottom line: decent movie. good action. reasonable intrigues for a mostly action movie. not robin hood.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 15, 2010 3:50 pm

dinky wrote:meh. I don't dislike it. but something about it...I find off putting. iunno. I want to say it's a bit too crude, but I love FAMILY GUY and ROBOT CHICKEN, so iunno...those aren't exactly "high art" as it were.

South Park owns both family guy (last episode was pathetically shit btw), and Robot Chicken (hit and miss :( ). South Park film came out after series 1 iirc, the early series (shock/'immature' humour) of south park are radically different to the middle seasons (largely characterised) which in turn are radically different in style to the later series (politicalised).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

i prefer the later seasons of south park overall, but i can easily watch any
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat May 15, 2010 4:46 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
dinky wrote:meh. I don't dislike it. but something about it...I find off putting. iunno. I want to say it's a bit too crude, but I love FAMILY GUY and ROBOT CHICKEN, so iunno...those aren't exactly "high art" as it were.

South Park owns both family guy (last episode was pathetically shit btw), and Robot Chicken (hit and miss :( ). South Park film came out after series 1 iirc, the early series (shock/'immature' humour) of south park are radically different to the middle seasons (largely characterised) which in turn are radically different in style to the later series (politicalised).

yeah. I've seen eps here and there that friends direct me to "you gotta see this" like the rape of indiana jones.

I don't sit with baited breath waiting for family guy or robot chicken either, mind you. it's syndication and when I happen to see it on. trying to think if there's a single straight up comedy that I regularly plan to watch or record/dl...coming up blank.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 16, 2010 12:01 pm

For me robot chicken is better than Family guy. if you introduce someone you can't show them series one though, its too lightly filled although there's a couple of decent sketches.

Robot Chicken Star Wars special is far better than the Family Guy ones :)

Current Shows I watch:
America Dad (better than Family Guy a lot of the time)
Family Guy (Shit, mostly watching because I started)
Fringe (Bit hit and miss, but I like it)
House (meh)
Lost (Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better now than it used to be, S1 == shit, S2 == still shit, from the episode with Desmond time travelling its been substantially better)
The Simpsons (Rubbish now)
South Park (Brilliant)
True Blood (Starting back up, its so close to the mark on turning into a shit drama but so far its been rather entertaining. Would like to see more gore, sex and violence mind)

Just downloaded "The Thick of It" which is a funny british politic comedy from a few years back, funny stuff and some quality swearing.

I've been told "Breaking Bad" is supposed to be good so I might pick that up.

I'm using:
http://myepisodes.com/views.php
to track my shows.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 16, 2010 7:12 pm

i honestly wouldn't have pegged you as a true blood watcher spud.

Btw where did you get the thick of it from? please say newsgroups :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 am

vampires = horror. spud = horrific. it fits. ;)

I've heard great things about BREAKING BAD as well. haven't seen it yet. premise looks like fun though.

saw new ROBIN HOOD movie. not sure if I already reviewed here. thought I did. it was decent. not really what I would call robin hood. but a decent movie in itself. enjoyed iron man 2 more. wish IM2 was as long as RH.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:27 am

dinky wrote:saw new ROBIN HOOD movie. not sure if I already reviewed here. thought I did. it was decent. not really what I would call robin hood. but a decent movie in itself. enjoyed iron man 2 more. wish IM2 was as long as RH.

dinky wrote:ROBIN HOOD (2010)
2 things: 1) I wouldn't call this "Robin Hood" anymore than I'd call O, BROTHER WHERE ART THOU? the ODYSSEY. but it is a nice action epic without completely retarded logic in the political intrigues and motivations dept. 2) I'm pretty sure they're planning a sequel (this is more of a BATMAN BEGINS type of reinvention), and as I said in 1) he's not actually "Robin Hood" (insofar as I recognize him) at any point throughout the movie save...well...the denouement. :?

bottom line: decent movie. good action. reasonable intrigues for a mostly action movie. not robin hood.

yes you did lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed May 19, 2010 6:53 am

m'yeah. knew I did it for FH. wasn't sure about SFHHAH.

about to watch ep 57 of FMA Brotherhood (anime)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Mon May 24, 2010 1:34 am

Shrek Forever After (2010)
I liked it. better than the third. not significantly different from second.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General