The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Jynks on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:54 am

maxpayne2409 wrote::lol: your asking us all here if we find discomfort in obscene sex scenes hahahahahahahahahahaha

roflmao
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:20 pm

:lol:

"drama" to max apparently means "chick flick."
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 pm

well when someone mentions drama pride and prejudice type shit is the first thing i think of
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:40 pm

yeah...that's actually a comedy of manners. :P

modern genres/forms/categories are all fuct these days, but drama roughly corresponds to "tragedy," meaning "serious" rather than absurd, as opposed to "comedy," where I would lump satire & parody.

action is essentially mindless drama that blurs the distinction between serious (tragic - not necessarily denoting sad, mind you) and comic. and some of the most effective action movies are effective primarily as comedies (usually buddy comedies). anyway, most of the recent crop of comic book adaptations, I would argue, are dramas (thinking of first 2 x-men, spideys, superman returns - hulk tries to be, daredevil tries...compare to fantastic four, which doesn't try and fits more the historical definition of comedy).

other genre distinctions work across comedy and drama as well: e.g., LotR is fantasy and drama. Dungeons & Dragons (the thing with one of the waynes brothers) is closer to comedy. And Princess Bride is full-on fantasy comedy. Same lack of distinctions in sci-fi: Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is obviously comedy. Alien & Event Horizon are horror. Battlestar Galactica is drama.

'course, these things are inevitably subjective. I'd never consider clockwork orange drama - more like satire. but there's as strong an argument for one or the other. anyway, at the end of the day, I could see you not liking anything I considered drama - at least not for the aspects that denote it as such.

:lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Wikipedia: It is a Greek word meaning "action",... :mrgreen: Seriously, it does not define much else than its structure. One of the simplest explanations I found on Google goes: "A literary composition, usually in dialogue form, that centers on the actions of charcters.". Perhaps you've been doing great injustice to the genre so far just because you had pride and prejudice? Pun intended (for the laughs) - but no disrespect! Perhaps you should consider viewing some theater plays in the near future, 'coz some of those I've seen were so action-packed even serious on-stage injuries were involved (e.g. "Indian wants Bronx"). One does have to admit though, there's also the other end of the spectra (e.g. "Peer Gint"). :googley: Cheers!
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:25 pm

smallville was new again this week. watched that. new BSG is the 21st. same for veronica mars. 24, I haven't watched yet. dl'd the first 4 eps though. anyway, they're all new now (or in a week).

think that's it.

re: drama. there's a difference from the generic mode terminolgy (more or less governed by the term mimesis today) that myk's defining and the genre term used at award shows and video stores. in which case, drama replaces "tragedy" and usually means serious/realistic fiction & non-fictionish stuff as opposed to comedy, but wherein a more specific genre distinction is not made (such as docu, foreign, sci-fi, horror, action, fantasy, children's, animated, etc.). it's a mess cuz all movies fit multiple genres, but there's a distinction between drama as genre and drama as mode. :2cents:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 pm

yeah the video shop description of "drama" is what i normally go by, aka boring crap for the over 40s, or women usually containing the likes of danielle steele books turned into movies, and so on and so forth
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm

erm...goodfellas and the departed and the recent alfie remake and seven and american beauty (although america bird thinks AB is comedy). they're are all usually in the drama section as well. (as opposed to the action, comedy, sci-fi 7 fantasy, horror, children's, animated, independent, or foreign sections). I would expect clockwork to be in sci-fi though (it's your standard distopian fantasy/allegory). anyway, the drama genre is a hell of a lot larger than just chick flicks & independent films.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:13 am

clockwork orange is under scifi in my local videoshop, not in blockbuster, but in the smaller local video shop it is
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby MyK on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:33 am

there's a difference from the generic mode terminolgy (more or less governed by the term mimesis today) that myk's defining ...

OK, my knowledge of English language is way too modest for me to be able to define anything... all I'm doing here is stating my opinion the best that I can (obviously in some cases insufficient). I do try though, so bare with me... Just saying that my opinion could actually be a definition of sorts is a great compliment, Dinky, so thanks for that :D I do understand pretty much everything spoken/written in English, however expressing myself - well ,you know what calibers I'm trying to satisfy :lol: I'll keep trying, thought - you guys here are pretty much the best chance I get in practicing my English. And that was a compliment (to all of ya - Max, Spud, Dinky, Jynks, Blade,... ya'll)! Thanks & looking forward to debate with you all... *doesn't end here*
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:35 am

watched latest smallville, is it jsut me or does tori spelling get uglier with each tv appearance?, some comedy moments in the ep tho namely the "green arrow" scene (dinky will probably know which i mean)

Also glad you enjoy your time here myk
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:43 pm

:lol: sorry. not bashing you, myk. just trying to highlight the different uses of the word because "drama can be everything" (i.e., drama is action in the wider sense) really isn't how it's used within film-speak. anyway, that whole convo is stale now.

I saw stomp the yard</i> at the cineplex last night cuz I didn't wanna wait around another hour+ for a better movie to start. the movie itself was ok. the audience was fucking annoying. it wasn't just a couple people either. all these fecking obnoxious (ghetto?) girls were oohing and aahing and having loudass conversations about how sexy some guy was every time they did a close-up. usually at a movie, you get that for like a second or two. but the fuckers kept going for maybe 30 seconds. I missed a lot of dialog in the movie. pissed me off. I thought the worst time to see a movie was something animated on a saturday afternoon when all the kiddies come and cry through the damn thing. well this was far worse. a theater full of complete fecking idiots. I go to premiere nights all the time, so it wasn't the time either. it was the fecking crowd.

edit: tricia helfer (caprica six from BSG) did a topless playboy shoot for feb 2007. torrent is on cheggit (id 26027) if'n anyone be interested.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:22 pm

rome</i> s2 e1. great stuff. LOVED the last 5-10 minutes. everything else was predictable but good.

saving 24</i> for tomorrow when I can watch the first 4 eps back-to-back.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:32 am

IMDB: "Tides of War" (2005) (TV) a.k.a. "USS Poseidon: Phantom Below": It was awful! I can understand how certain people lack the understanding of the basic physics and are not distracted as much as I was with such things as clear vision shots when sub operates in depths of 500 feet, depth charges making big splashes on the surface upon explosion even though they were detonated some 200 ft below, firing tomahawk missiles from that same depth, and not being able to detect obviously large and moving water displacement in range not further away than, say, a few miles. I can understand that. Not all are aware that under 300 ft you don't get any light at all from above even in clear waters on a clear sunny day, let alone yellow sea that has its name for a reason, that there are things called surface tension, pressure, buoyancy, cavitation,... I can get that, really. But what I don't get is what they (the makers of this ridiculous movie) thought would their target audience be :? It has volumes of technical nonsense, no studs or hooters, and the story's been done like a gazillion times before. Interested yet?
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:04 am

:lol: that was a great riff, myk.

watched first 2 eps of 24</i>.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:59 pm

watched latest eps of shows american dad etc, and watched the time travellers from 1976, was ok, obv a pilot for an irwin allen show that never became
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:04 pm

everything else was predictable but good.

Yeah, i saw ceaser dying from a mile off last season... :wacky: :lol:

I enjoyed the rome episode too, but then i had no real doubt it would be anything less than enjoyable based on the first series.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:25 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:but then i had no real doubt it would be anything less than enjoyable based on the first series.

so you're saying you thought it would suck. :P
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:27 pm

i believe he's saying he knew it would be very enjoyable as he enjoyed the first series
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:44 pm

i believe he was trying to take a dig at series 1
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to General