The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby MyK on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:32 am

dinky wrote:casanova</i>. fun little flick. nothing special. pretty much dangerous beauty</i> done for laughs.

Reminded me I had a copy of it on hard disk so I watched it, too. It was OK but nothing special I guess. I laughed my lungs out when that fat guy and his "new" lady were a bit heavy load on a boat :lol:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:50 pm

sienna miller makes a much better supporting character, preferably with multiple nude scenes. ;)

almost done with gummi bears. finished d2 and got pretty far into d3.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:26 pm

forget sienna miller, i saw the most gorgeous lass on tv last night on an old episode fo Never MInd The Buzzcocks (uk comedy music quiz)... Katie Mulea
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby MyK on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:55 pm

"Broken Trail (2-part mini)" Call me a softy for all I care but there were moments in it that made my eyes moist. It's a wonderful little mini series that doesn't bother much with upper meanings and such lame stuff critics would like. It's just incredibly life-like and direct, even poetic at moments with great story (based on true events), exceptional photography and - at times - a suitable slow pace. It's a movie for all generations and both genders. Watch it with your loved one and if neither of you is a robot there's much chance you'll both like it!
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MyK on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 pm

@maxpayne
Yes, sir! That's one cutie that Katie Melua :D
She was born on 16th of September, 1984 in Georgia USSR, which makes her just about the right age for me. WAF WAF! :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:27 pm

OMG she's 2 years younger then me... i was born on 24th sept 1982, there you go then, what a link, she should be mine lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:32 am

looks cute, no doubt. but I've no idea who she is (yes, I read max's first post on her).

just got back from rocky balboa</i>. must say, I really enjoyed it. much less about the fight than about coping with time...life...that kinda thing. but...well...it struck a chord for me.

Spoiler:
it's very much like the first rocky movie in many ways. but, of course, where the first movie was forward looking, this one is nostalgic.

there is, of course, some cheese. and a ridiculous (at times, anyway) training montage. and it's not like it busts out a whole plateful of pulp fiction or the godfather quoteables, but it has its witty moments. solid movie overall. nothing special. but solid.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:14 pm

rocky makes me feel sick with its shitness
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:42 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:rocky makes me feel sick with its shitness

"If irony was made of strawberries... we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies about now"
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
maxpayne2409 wrote:rocky makes me feel sick with its shitness

"If irony was made of strawberries... we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies about now"

:rofl:

it's funny...
cuz it's true. :wacky:

watched bend it like beckham</i>, the first ep of tailspin</i>, and caught the last boy scout</i> on one of the movie channels.

bend it</i> was surprisingly pretty good. and I don't wanna sound too gay</i> here (I acknowledge there's gonna be some snickering), but wtf are all the girls practicing (A) in their game uniforms, and (B) wearing only sports bras? I understand that drama demands a certain aesthetic (maybe "stylized" but certainly idealized) realism as opposed to practical or REAL realism, but wtf? do English girls do that? (as well as practice most of the time w/o shin guards?)

tailspin</i> is SO much better than darkwing duck</i>. DD is actually pretty smart, but the eps are all over the place and the supporting characters/villains are especially a crapshoot.

last boy scout</i> and AoD</i> need to go toe-to-toe for movie with continually best lines. throw princess bride</i> and holy grail</i> into the mix as well. godfather</i>'s quotable but...the others transcend. :twisted: oh yeah, can't forget lebowski</i>. that belongs in the competition as well.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:01 pm

i'm suprised keira knightley even needs to bother with a bra at all

and its not that i hate rocky on its own, i just hate boxing, its so fucking boring, if i was into that kinda stuff i'd just go out and leather someone myself, but it doesn't really do it for me

DD and talespin are pretty good

as for other good quotable movies you can't forget dirty harry
Dirty Harry Calaghan wrote:but, being that this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean orff, you gotta ask yourself one question..... do i feel lucky.... well do ya, punk?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby MyK on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:32 pm

@Dinky: "Dr. Strangelove", "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", "Kinsey", "All About My Mother" and "Catch-22" are just a few that come to mind and are packed with great lines (some extremely hilarious), too. Other than these it's kinda hard for me to remember movies that are packed with great quotable lines that are funny on their own and not situation dependent. Perhaps "Coffee And Cigarettes" and "Life Of Brian" could be included in the mix, also. Not such a tight pack of funny lines, arguably, but still have their moments :mrgreen:

Watching "Lantana" now and it's kinda morbid so far so I had to pause it for a while to recuperate. Never watched it before so I'm relaying on some good reviews I read this won't spoil my day. Since hope and trust are main themes of it so far I hope my trust in those reviews wasn't all for nothing :?
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby MyK on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:58 pm

Forgot to mention I met an overwhelmingly cute young lass last night that I swear was the spitting image of young Gwyneth Paltrow. Or have I had a glass of wine too many :o Anyway, I was trying to be cute so much I made her laugh eventually so we exchanged PNs and her name wasn't Gwyneth at all (at least so she said) :D So I won't mind at all if you succeed with that Katie Melua, maxpayne :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:42 am

mmm...iunno. I could pretty much live my entire life speaking only quotes from the movies I mentioned plus SW & simpsons. it would annoy the hell out of my family. but I do that anyway. not that the movies you mention don't have great lines in themselves. but I find you're just replacing lebowski with fear & loathing or grail with brian (except grail is really more quotable). strangelove is, oddly enough, too obscure, I think. same for c-22.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:52 am

"Kinsey", "All About My Mother" and "Catch-22 are some i've never really heard of, although catch-22 sounds familiar but i can't place it, but i agree with you dink, a lot of them are way too obscure to be quotable ever

i find airplane quotable in parts, for instance at work we always say "and don't call me shirley" constantly
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Dinky wrote:last boy scout and AoD need to go toe-to-toe for movie with continually best lines. throw princess bride and holy grail into the mix as well. godfather's quotable but...the others transcend. Twisted Evil oh yeah, can't forget lebowski. that belongs in the competition as well.

MyK wrote:"Dr. Strangelove", "Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas", "Kinsey", "All About My Mother" and "Catch-22"

OMG how can you leave out starwars as one ofthe most quoteable movies of all time...

SHAME ON YOU BOTH

I would also like to Add.... Aliens, The Shinning, Life of Brian.. man this could go on forever mabey we can start a best quote thread instead and just quote awsome quotes :)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:10 pm

@Jynks
OMG how can you leave out starwars

:oops:
Aliens, The Shinning, Life of Brian

Aliens yes (my fav: Hudson: Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man? Vasquez: No, have you?), dunno about The Shining though, I've forgotten most of it (maybe you're referring to those bartender scenes?), LoB was mentioned before
mabey we can start a best quote thread instead and just quote awsome quotes

Great idea IMO, you do the honors, Jynks :D

"History of the World: Part I": [Comicus]: The only thing we don't have a god for is premature ejaculation - but I hear that that's coming quickly.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:56 pm

i don't think that many people really 1. found history of the world part 1 funny, and 2. can quote it :lol:, and as far as i remember the only well known shining quote is the obvious "HEEEERES JOHNNY" quite
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 pm

and that line they stole from the simpsons: no tv and no beer make homer something something. :wacky:

I did mention SW. ;) the original list was about movies that are like one extended quote. aliens was kick ass and great some great lines, but like godfather, there's a lot more dialogue in there that isn't quotable. AoD, PB, Last BS, and Lebowski are nothing but "lines." everything westly or anyone else says is a joke in PB. Same with ash in AoD and both joe & jimmy in Last BS. Lebowski was a more iffy inclusion because only at most half of lebowski's dialogue is really a "line," but walter and the nihilsts are all lines.

all three SW movies definitely belong in a quotes thread, but like godfather and aliens, everything isn't a "line." SW is particularly popular so it gets quoted. holy grail is a nice compilation of "lines" as well. clearly, what I'm calling "lines" (distinct from quotes) is geared toward comedy and hint-hint wink-wink stuff. anyway, that's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it. :wacky:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:33 pm

but dink, pretty much everything bruce campbell says in anything is a "line" :wacky: , infact i bet if u met him in real life all everything he says is lines :lol: .

Which reminds me i've downloaded Jack of All Trades season 1 and 2 dvdrips got to watch them sometime
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General