The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:23 am

fuck me... i dissappear for a while and you start talking about gummi bears? :lol:
Joke, i don't want to be crucified again :)

I notice the harry potter mention, the best one is the one with the Back to the Future 2 stuff in it. First one is philsophers, which looks good and the music is great if its very tame and the acting isn't really up to snuff, second one is... now is that the one with the snake? Acting is a bit better, sets look a bit better. Third one is the one with Gary oldman right? That one is the best easily. The next one looks good, but i don't recall it being nearly as good since its all over the place... starts with a football match (or in some camp or something) then its flickering left, right and centre but with no character development.

As far as kids films go over the past several years, Lemmony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events was easily the best that i recall.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby MyK on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:58 am

fuck me... i dissappear for a while and you start talking about gummi bears?

and
then its flickering left, right and centre but with no character development.

Thanks for the laughs :) :) :) , made my morning suffering more tolerable ;) Yep, the third HP incarnation was watchable, the fourth should be incinerated and never mentioned again.

:producers: :eatthis:
"The products suck! There's no sex in them anymore!" (Steve Jobs)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Finaly got a round to watching A Scanner Darkly. I was really happy with it. While it fails the boo n a few ways it dose excell in a few others. Like Do Android dream of Electric sheep the book form wich this is based is a LOT more involved and serious, the movie is more based on than about what the book is about.

Still the drug phycosis in the movie is as good as I have ever seen. Definatly a tripy film one I would have been very into when i was a student and doign my own drugs back then. I would strongly recommend this flick. I have been thinking of adding it to my phycedelic Movies list at dead-donkey.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby MyK on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:49 pm

"Space Truckers" - What to say, what to say? It was watchable, at some points (o)(o) even zoomable ;)
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:18 pm

is space truckers the one with clint eastwood in?

watched Porkys earlier, it was 10 massively times shitter then i remembered it, going downstairs to watch Santa Claus - The Movie, i remember enjoying it as a kid :)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby MyK on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:46 pm

is space truckers the one with clint eastwood in?

That would be "Space Cowboys" ;) (IMDB: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0186566/)
"Space Truckers": viewtopic.php?t=2867

EDIT: Verdammt! Can't find my copy of "Space Cowboys". Was hoping I could do a new release here. There seem to be only either dual audio or Italian releases on the net-- Not quite good enough for HQ release of a 130 mins movie-- and the "GuRu" 2CD release is all in red. I liked that flick so much I could kill whoever took that DVD and never returned it! :evil:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:fuck me... i dissappear for a while and you start talking about gummi bears? :lol:
Joke, i don't want to be crucified again :)

As far as kids films go over the past several years, Lemmony Snickets Series of Unfortunate Events was easily the best that i recall.

as a general rule, I hate everything about disney. but they made some really really excellent kids cartoons in the late 80s and 90s. and I know this cuz now I turn on the tv and see pokemon, yugioh(sp?), dragon ballz, transformers armada et al., and sponge bob square pants, and I think "my GAWD. this is the dumbest fecking retarded shit I've ever seen. you're better off watching sesame street or barney or hell, even pinwheel."

yes, the 4th harry potter was all over the place. but it was less annoying than the first two (whose whole purpose was to show you in live action every little item from the books - no, I haven't - but has nothing new to add or subtract or even think about the series whatsoever). 4th wasn't much better. don't get me wrong. but the simple fact that they're more grown up and going to balls and whatnot and characters are actually dying all makes it more interesting, imo. ok. sorry. giving these things way too much attention.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:17 am

i agree dinky, pretty much most of all the modern day kids stuff is lame ass dinkshit (like dogshit but more skeletal :lol: ), amusingly the kids stuff these days that is half decent is remakes or new versions of old cartoons like TMNT, biker mice from mars etc

Just finished watching Santa Claus the movie, and it occurs to me that while it was ok most christmas films are simply just better when your a little kid, with the obvious exception of Home Alone 1 & A Christmas Story
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby MyK on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:42 pm

"The Host"-- WOW!!! Impressed me big time. All's there- drama, suspense, horror, comedy, great acting, incredible CGIs, beautiful camera work, and the story line never gets broken just so it'd be more politically correct or to please investors. Can't even remember ATM when was the last time I had such a great time watching so hugely multi-genre movie. If ever! I'd recommend this movie to anyone not just sci-fi & horror genre fans-- A true gem of a movie, just don't do what I did and try to synchronize subtitles that just won't fit (there should be plenty of such that'll fit like a charm on any release around) because it'll ruin you a few surprises. :thumbsup:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:15 am

van wilder: the rise of taj</i>. I enjoyed it. I mean...it passed the time. it wasn't great. the same basic copy of the first that I was expecting. couldn't get a good time for showings of tenacious D: the pick of destiny</i>. :?

anyway, I'm sure no one here would like it, so bleah.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:07 am

man just watched batman and Robin.. that has got to be the worst movie I think i have ever seen.... omg.. everybody freeze
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:24 pm

iunno. catwoman and ultraviolet were awfully bad as well.

latest ep of smallville</i>. the previews after the ep (I think it was a composite "preview" for the rest of the season rather than next ep, but iunno) showed the JLA. looked like flash, aquaman, green arrow, clark (don't remember martian manhunter but I would assume he was there also). and I'm not sure even sure if this was the same preview, but I remember something like Frozone (samuel l. jackson's character from the incredibles). I sure hope it wasn't steel (who is just kinda lame and I don't wanna see reimagined anywhere :lol:)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:12 pm

Couldn't sleep last night, so I had a movie fest of my own. If you don't feel like reading all the guano I'll dump all over this page, feel free to skip to the next post-

1) "Marooned"- 2hrs and then some of rather boring stuck in space stuff. I was rather disappointed. The technical details were impressive to say the least, but for that I could visit NASA/ESA pages and browse through even more impressive and up to date stuff that exceed in most parts what was back then - when this movie was shot - a sci-fi. The director was, simply put, overrun by all the technical aspects that needed addressing so the story would hold any water, that the basic dramatization suffered big time. Way too predictable for the "what could really happen one day" "disaster in space" movie. For tech freaks and insomniacs only!

2) "Torchwood, EP8"- My favorite part so far and it brings the potential to elegantly lose some of the main problems in it- Capt. Jack Harkness' constant and mostly totally inappropriate smirk and Gwen Cooper's over-exaggerated seriousness and emotional break-downs. Who knows, perhaps writers had a little crush between them in minds? God, I hope not, I wouldn't write it here if I did! It's more mature oriented series anyways so why not go with a really rough sex scene instead of some canoodling? C'mon guys, let us show you have balls and not :pakopako:

3) "Heroes, EP11"- This part explains a lot what actually happened beforehand and produces even more pieces of a puzzle to be put together in a next few episodes. Nice show, just hope it doesn't get all "Lost".

4) "Screamers"- Well, I never screamed and returned to Earth safely. This was my second time watching this movie and I can't help thinking what it could have been if it was shot on a better budget. Is it just me or does anybody else think the lead role in this flick was made for "Ed Harris"?

5) "The Black Dahlia"- This one finally put me to sleep so I can't tell if it was any good. It must have had really dark scenes in it because I didn't turn the screen off and it never bothered me until it switched off on a timer.

So there you have it, you can stop fast-scrolling the mouse wheel now.

:beerchug:

P.S.: Next time you have trouble sleeping watch 3 eps of "BSG" in a row. You'll fall asleep within minutes and even have trouble getting up the next day- your brain will hurt so much. Reminds me of some pyramid scams that were all based on the principle of brain-washing. Which reminds me-- Don't they play "the pyramid" in it? :lol:
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Truba on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:16 am

wow man you are the boss

back in the old days of doing nothing i was able to see 4 movies per day :mrgreen:

but today i watch 1 movie in 4 days :outsider: :googley:

a just saw In the mood for love :beerchug: i know its not SF but its great...
Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world.
Truba
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby dinky on Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:34 am

MyK wrote:P.S.: Next time you have trouble sleeping watch 3 eps of "BSG" in a row. You'll fall asleep within minutes and even have trouble getting up the next day- your brain will hurt so much. Reminds me of some pyramid scams that were all based on the principle of brain-washing. Which reminds me-- Don't they play "the pyramid" in it? :lol:

blasphemer!
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:26 am

dinky wrote:latest ep of smallville</i>. the previews after the ep (I think it was a composite "preview" for the rest of the season rather than next ep, but iunno) showed the JLA. looked like flash, aquaman, green arrow, clark (don't remember martian manhunter but I would assume he was there also). and I'm not sure even sure if this was the same preview, but I remember something like Frozone (samuel l. jackson's character from the incredibles). I sure hope it wasn't steel (who is just kinda lame and I don't wanna see reimagined anywhere :lol:)

Smallville back on?? Awsome. The JLA is going to be Flash, Aquaman, Superman, Cyborg and Manhunter. Wounder Woman and Batman will not be showing up.

Pity, wounder woman rules. I really hope they get that right when the movie is done. Need to be a proper WW story. No, crims in city crap.... I want a proper WW story, full of the greek gods, interstella and dimentional travel, her arch emeny Hades, dragons and all that kind of stuff. but I seriously do not think they will do it in the film. I have read a quote from that guy that did Firefly (he is writing WW movie) that he has nvr read a ww comic and dose not intend to so not to ruin his personal take on the charicter... witch reads to me as he prob has based everything off a few pictures he has seen.. not a good thing.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:59 pm

it pains me to agree with spud here, but that prolly means buffy 3. :lol:

green arrow was DEFINITELY part of the superhero pack marching at night (kinda like the signature shot from resivoir dogs). not that that makes him part of the jla or any jla spinoff. there were other cuts from the preview that seem to suggest lois knows who he is and is ok with it <--spoiler
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby MyK on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Jynks wrote:
I have read a quote from that guy that did Firefly (he is writing WW movie) that he has nvr read a ww comic and dose not intend to so not to ruin his personal take on the charicter

Is that Joss Whedon or some other dude that also wrote some episodes of the series?

dinky wrote:
blasphemer!

You're kidding, right? Don't get me wrong-- I do watch BSG, just think that "G" in it is important and without it it's all BS :googley: Do like the basic plot just can't suffer all the side plots that are in there IMO because they (Sci-Fi Channel) don't have better selling products (or enough of them) and will stretch it for as long as they can. What the hell was that previous episode all about anyway? "Rocky XXX in space"? Not to mention "BSG Webisodes"-- WTF!!! :outsider: Quote from BSG: -"How much further?" -"Farther" :mrgreen:

Watching "The State Within" now. Eps 1-3 were IMHO excellent, just glad I'm wathing them on PC because I have no interest watchig two gay men kissing :skip: Can't wait till the rest of them DL.
MyK
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:53 am

yes, it's whedon.

no, I'm not kidding. the only disappointment from the ep had to do with the magnitude of the "revelation" regarding the rift between apollo and starbuck. this entire season has been top notch. best show on tv.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:46 am

I agree, but that boxing ep suxed balls. And I can not belive they killed off Kat, they only other chick in the show that was decent imo. I fuckn hate starbuck, I so wanted to have Kat kick her ass and become CAG over her... oh well.

Yar, forgot to mention Green Arrow.. he is 100% in there.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to General