The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:33 pm

I'm on a course (from work) for WebLogic 8.1 now, using a real flakey unsecure wifi connection in my hotel to connect here. If I expected them to know how to do it, they would have my passwords by now :lol:

I brought my laptop and I put some movies, a dvd in the drive and put on heros and jericho episodes to watch. Instructed my brother to download the nzbs for all the tv series i usually download since i wasn't sure if i'd have the net.

@dinky, argos is a shitty catalogue store that's completely going under, its "big" as in everyone knows what it is and are watching it crash and burn. The internet has pretty much knocked its profits into the red :)

In all honesty, it really shouldn't exist in the modern world. Prices are too high, service is poor, etc. Its a remnant of high street catalogue stores.

K-Mart is just a supermarket that's more general and without as much emphasis on food. The english equivalent is something like Wilkinsons, which is cheap crap. Walmart would be crushed by Tescos, they couldn't put up an ants fart next to the original supermarket. Walmart owns ASDA, but asda is being beaten in the market by the all powerful Tesco and then sainsburys. Not sure how the other supermarkets like Morrisons line up in the pecking order but they are the same kind of store.

DIY store is BNQ, electrical stores are Currys and Dixons (actually the same company), and the consumer pc outlet monstrosity is PC World. Office supplies is Staples.

That's about all the big industrial estate/shopping estate stores (what at they called, the ones that are just big stores out of town rather than high street type shops?)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

i believe shopping centres is the word your looking for spud, like meadowhall, yorkshire outlet, trafford centre etc.

Yes argos is going under, although the management claim we have sold more this year then ever before haha yeah right, service is pretty shit because most of the time we really can't be arsed to fart about getting yet another burberry chav cap for a customer, while at the same time watching the gypsys who live on the caravan park near my store stealing toasters and phones and trying to run every scam under the sun.

I agree the prices are way too high at argos, and do you know how much discount staff get? 10 fucking measley %, yet at homebase (both part of the GUS family) we get 20%, figures, which would explain why for the 5 years on and off ive worked there ive bought about 4 things from there, mostly just credit for my phone.

As far as supermarkets go personally i use Asda and sainsburys, sainsburys by preference but if i need something quickly i just nip to asda as it's closer and open 24/7 unlike sainsburys. Morrisons (in scunthorpe at least) is a shit hole that should fall into ashby decoy (a lake made out of a landfill site that was dug and never used) tesco are ok but in scunny its actually quite expensive and hardly stocks anything useful unless you fancy a nice 700 pair of tights (dinky relax). We have an iceland which isnt bad if your down that way and just need 2 or 3 essentials like cheese spread or crumpets or something.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:59 pm

pretty persuasion. pretty decent satire until it kinda suddenly tries to be tragic for the last 5 mins. pretty entertaining for the satire (usually about stereotyping) or if you have a schoolgirl fetish. lots of what I'd call "real actors" in it.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:01 pm

just ordered Life On Mars series 1 on dvd, started watching spuds favourite ever program that he can't live without..... MacGyver season 2 :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:10 am

L4yer Cake</i>. not as good as it could have been. felt like lock, stock</i> or snatch</i>, 'cept it didn't feature jason statham and was not, therefore, as good. needed more sex scenes with sienna miller too. aight but disappointing (friend was highly recommending it, so I had pretty high expectations - and it started very well...for hour or so).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:29 am

i believe shopping centres is the word your looking for spud, like meadowhall, yorkshire outlet, trafford centre etc.

No, those are just "malls" with many shops under one roof.

I'm talking about the huge, single building = single store warehouse like superstores that are on a business parks at the edge of town. Like pc world
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:49 am

ah like Macro type places, where you can buy almost anything at a low price in bulk and then add on tax
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:32 am

latest veronica mars</i>. was good. nothing special.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:33 am

kinda how i felt about lost 301
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:27 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:ah like Macro type places, where you can buy almost anything at a low price in bulk and then add on tax

er no, macro is in one of those building but no, I didn't mean a wholesale store.

But i checked a road sign, its called a retail park when there are several massive building, and the shops are called superstores (usually PC World, Currys/Dixons, Homebase, etc.). Highstreet stores are called retail outlets, macro like places are wholesale outlets. An indoor shopping dealie is a shopping center (or mall if your a yank). Stores with clothes to all sorts are department stores.

I don't know what a megastore is though, i think its just a big superstore :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:54 pm

the only time i've ever seen a megastore are virgin megastore's i can't say i've ever seen any others. Also what is it with people who think the laws of driving don't apply on retail parks :lol:

god here in scunthorpe they built the smallest shopping centre ish thing and named it "Southgate mall", amusingly it opened just after gareth southgate missed his penalty in that worldcup whenever it was, but it's not a mall, its a pile of shit and in no way american, it contains such wank shops as binns/uptons, clarks shoes, iceland and about 8 smelly perfume shops that make you feel like you've accidently wandered into a trial for a new chemical weapon and plonked right inbetween... a baker's
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:13 pm

the laws of evolution don't even apply in scunthorpe :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:15 pm

that's true actually, unfortunately we have the second highest level of chavs in the country, after hull of course :(
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:52 am

latest smallville</i>. I'm not particularly attrated to kristen kreuk (lana). she's nice and all, but she don't really get me going (I'm a kiera knightly or scarlett johansson lad). anyway, she looked REALLY good dressed-up as cleopatra. the episode itself was bleah. I don't see how "enemy of the week from the phantom zone" is anyway superior to the "meteor freak of the week" pattern that everyone supposedly hated from s1 and s2.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Truba on Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 am

das schloss 1997
great for those who like kafkas work :beerchug:
Woe be unto him who opens one of the seven gateways to hell, because through that gateway evil will invade the world.
Truba
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:00 pm

i don't like kristin kreuk either dinky, shes butt ugly with her marty feldman eyes, erica durance is hot tho, and alison mack isnt bad either. but season 6 just has been crap so far, i remember in season 1 the creators said they wouldnt ever implement the whole super breath thing coz fans hate it.... hmm looks like they ran out of ideas so included it in season 6

watched lates south park, hilarious but a cop out at the end, and latest robot chicken, funny shit
which reminds me, i need to find a new emule mod, as v9 of morph xt is fucking shit, the search works about as well as a mexican and finds about as much as a broken metal detector
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:55 pm

I don't like morph. it doesn't deal well with lowid at all (and my ip ends in a 0 = lowid), so I'm essentially banned from servers & server searches. on the other hand, I'm incredibly lazy.

:?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm

ah i see, it worked fine until the lame devs decided ooh if you want to search you have to upgrade to a 47c client or something gay like that, now it can't find a white whale on a black background, its really suffered
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:31 am

I've been battling on with the new shows, Jericho and Heros.

IMO Jericho is losing its appeal, i really wasn't that gripped and infact switched on my laptop part way through. Too much dramay crap, not enough plot. Heros however is clearly the best of the new shows, the Japanese people are awesome and the subbing works really well. I'm not sure about some of the characters, like the mirror woman, but I like the overall feel of the series. Even though it is clearly an xmen knock off, its still retaining merit. The editing I like, with the episodes popping up with "chapter 3:" which rolls off the screen... very simple, but i think it just adds to it. I like the mind reading cop character, the flying guys need to get a move on. The phycic is cool, the teleporter guy is cool. Last episode ending was enjoyable too, with the wolverine girl waking up on the autopsy table :lol:

Robot Chicken is entertaining as usual, i haven't felt the need to watch Lost yet (I got back yesterday afternoon) so i get the feeling its loosing its appeal, which to be fair is only maybe 10mins an episode anyway.

I've downloaded (or got someone to do it for me :lol: ) Nacho Libre so i might watch that later. But i've got a non-scene version of BSG and despite my worrying about the new series I think they might have pulled off the radical plot change. The former presidents character seriously pisses me off, Adama Papa needs to seriously loose his mustache and Adama the younger is hilarious in his fat suit. But overall, i think its quite good. There's a Iraq-feel to the whole thing, makes BSGs terrorist connotations very strong again, like the cylons are amongst us motif. Except now, its shifted perspective, its the cylons occupying the colonies, using far superior forces... there was also the feeling the the hidden cylon terrorists was more of a Al Quaeda thing, but if you interpret it (probably overinterpret it), the Cylons would actually be the Americans now :lol: I think its silly to microinterpret it though, its the broader messages and connotations i think that make the series better for it, but i doubt they are meant to be overly deep. There were key bits in the series that parrallel all the events of recent history, the wall of photos for people looking for survivors in series 1 stands out as the obvious linkage to the pictures around new york, or after any disaster actually.

South Park episode was great, Stone and Parker are clearly 'men of the people' ("People? ...or sheeple?" :lol:) and all the episodes are current issues, seems they are just as pissed off at these morons making conspiracy theories as everyone else. "oh... yeah... i'm getting a clue in my pants too" :lol:

So BSG, i'm happy to say, is enjoyable. Heros is enjoyable (kudos, a new show at last!). South Park is excellent, Robot Chicken too :) I'd have to pick American Dad too for the "still got it" category.

The list of shows i think are struggling, Lost (clearly, although there's people i think are in serious denial :lol: ), Jericho, Family Guy

Shows that are pretty much dead, Simpsons. Talk about jumping the shark.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:45 pm

yeah i have to say i watched the first 2 season of lost in the summer in 4 days as id never seen it before so gave it a go, but now season 3 is on i dno i have downloaded all the eps that have currently been screened but i just can't really be bothered to watch it. Same goes for smallville in a way, but while i have downloaded and watched season 6 so far it jsut doesn't have the same supermanny thing it maybe had before, perhaps it's because lana went from annoying schoolgirl to seriously fucking annoying ultrabitch and the whole "lionel luthor as surrogate johnathan kent character" is kind of annoying, and lex has got annoying too, i guess maybe its just getting annoying :lol:

haven't tried heroes yet but might do, american dad is still cool and robot chicken and south park is as good if not better then ever, i prefer the later seasons to the earlier ones, i've got such a raging clue, my raging clue is pointing to the left, although i did think the ending of that was a sell out, j sut like with the ending of the passion of the jew ep. But i guess if they didn't sell out and followed through to the ending that the eps were setting up they wouldn't be on air much longer.

Watched Drwn together 3x01 - was pretty funny, a good start to the new season, most likely due to the weakest character (Spanky ham) and they kept foxxy down to a minimum aswell which is good, captain hero alwways makes me laugh with his weird view on everything
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General