The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:31 pm

I don't think the pop references were toned down that much, and a lot of them are great. I dunno, let me count to ten mippippippi and think about that. I think they might have eased off slightly, but I think Browder developed Crichton expertly enough to make them seem very natural by s3. You should see what SG1 has done, he's working with no character. i think they just put him back in to capture Farscape fans.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:09 pm

let me count to ten mippippippi

:lol: :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:30 pm

re: pop-culture references - the hit:miss ratio is a lot better for each season.

there's always going to be some duds. but they're sewn much more carefully into rest of the dialogue. like...I would say 1/4 actually hit the mark in s1, and 2/4 really annoyed me. now...I'd say 2/4 hit the mark and 2/4 don't evoke disgust reaction (mild irritant to no reaction either way). and if I had to speculate, I would say it's primarily because the tenor of the show has changed quite drastically. it basically went from a lame attempt at AoD of the sci-fi genre to something more like BSG (in tone). and the irony in that statement? I'm saying this only 1 or 2 eps removed from the looney tunes ep.

:lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:
let me count to ten mippippippi

:lol: :lol:

That's a quote from a disposable yet cool episode of Farscape (I dunno if you've seen it since I figured you didn't like it along with dinkster).

D'argo asks Crichton how he's supposed to know how much time has passed, so Crichton tells him to count Mississippis :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 am

ah i see, yes i do fit in that same camp as dinky, i gave season 1 a full go...again, still didn't grip me, ungrippable, totally none smegging gripped
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm

addendum:

mississippi line was great. I was commenting more on his direct references to stuff like madonna, star trek, star wars, michael jackson.

should finish s3 tonight. no yankees game. :evil2:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:34 pm

a few eps into farscape s4. I've seen the scorpy dog trick before. don't think I stuck-out the whole ep though. I also remember tuning-in to see one of the scorpy-in-crichton's-head eps and tuning-out again. bleah. so is this peacekeeper admiral chick actually sebation? cuz she don't look it, but I didn't quite follow the conccubine sex slave thing. she doesn't look sebation (actually looks like t'pal from enterprise</i>) and there's that sweat gland thing that is non-standard.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:34 pm

the covenant</i>. well...I didn't wanna wait 1.5 hrs to see hollywood land</i> and an hour to see monster house 3d</i>. so it was covenant</i>. tame. very tame. reminded me of the extreme apathy I felt with final destination</i>. iunno. some people liked it (it spawned a franchise). but I felt like they were both tv pilots/movies that didn't get the full series treatment. and if they did, they'd have been just like roswell</i> or point pleasant</i>.

it was directed by renny harlin. not that that's here or there. I just thought it comical to see how badly he got bumped on the hollywood chain at this point. pity milla jovich's hubby hasn't experienced a similar dirth of options.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:38 pm

renny harlin directed cliffhanger....'nuff saidwatched the last 2 eps of X-men cartoon season 5, that's it no more X-Men cartoon goodness, although for some reason about halfway through season 5 is when the animation takes a HUGE dive, as if they had been told they were getting cancelled so they decided to just not really give a shit about the rest of the eps.
The finale (Graduation Day) was a huge let down aswell, and felt rushed and pointless, someone attacks Xavier, hes dead by human medicine but llandra (alien) 's medicine can cure him, but to do that magneto has to help instead of destroying mankind, etc etc blah blah blah, xavier comes round for a while says goodbye and thankyou to his x-men (and women) and then goes back to Llandra's planet forever, a real letdown of a 5season long for the most part well made and entertaining series.

what to start now though, i like to have a 45mins-1hour show on the go and a 30minish show on the go at the same time, but i can't decide what to watch next so i will throw it open to public opinion (well spud and dinky as you are the only other 2 ppl other then me who actually seem to bother with this thread)
25-30mins

Sledge Hammer season 1+2
Avenger Penguins Series 1+2
goodnight sweetheart series 2-5
brass eye
knowing me knowing you+yule (30mins) (followed by i'm alan partridge)
A.L.F. season 3
Married With Children Season 5
Captain Scarlet (Original)

45mins-hour

Macgyver season 2-5
voyage to the bottom of the sea season 1
land of the giants season 1
adventures of brisco county jr
knight rider season 4
life on mars
lois & clark season 1-3
survivors series 3
moonlighting season 1-3

i have a feeling i know which 45-1 show spud will choose for one reason in particular
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:56 am

that reminds me: the blonde chick on the covenant</i> looked a lot like christina applegate. a little more filled-out in the face. umm...married would be my choice. ;)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:44 am

and which 45min-1hour show?

ps: christina applegates hot
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:58 am

brisco, you f00l. that's not even a question. :razz:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 am

see that's what i thought spud would say too, for the obvious reason its got the god of awesomeness in it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:09 am

I ordered the angels cheap on dvd because the downloads were just stalled. I'm on Disc 3 through Series 3 and going to watch some more :)

@max, how about watching Farscape since all your 45min shows are terrible. Or you could watch something like Green Wing which is an hourish. Or Carnivale.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:27 am

just confirming your overwhelming lack of taste there eh spud

with a possible exception of greenwing, as i haven't seen it, it's the one with all the famous brit comedians isn't it?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:08 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:just confirming your overwhelming lack of taste there eh spud

with a possible exception of greenwing, as i haven't seen it, it's the one with all the famous brit comedians isn't it?

wow :o

Sledge Hammer season 1+2
A.L.F. season 3

45mins-hour

Macgyver season 2-5
knight rider season 4
life on mars
lois & clark season 1-3
survivors series 3
moonlighting season 1-3

Python? 2001: A Space Travesty? Eurotrip?

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:27 am

those are movies they don't count, and fyi i didn't like python, it had gayboy wesley crusher in it and as we all know wil wheaton is just a shit on the world, and on repeat viewings space 2001 ast wasn't as good as i first thought, by as good i mean it was pretty bad, but eurotrip still rules for the hasselhoff cameo alone
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:38 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:those are movies they don't count, and fyi i didn't like python, it had gayboy wesley crusher in it and as we all know wil wheaton is just a shit on the world, and on repeat viewings space 2001 ast wasn't as good as i first thought, by as good i mean it was pretty bad, but eurotrip still rules for the hasselhoff cameo alone

I repeat:

:o

Sledge Hammer season 1+2
A.L.F. season 3

45mins-hour

Macgyver season 2-5
knight rider season 4
life on mars
lois & clark season 1-3
survivors series 3
moonlighting season 1-3

and you talk about bad taste? :lol: :mrgreen:

If there could be any more irony, it would involve Michael Ironside lifting iron whilst doing the ironing. :wacky:

Is it just me, or is this thread just us three trying to take the piss out of each other?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:22 pm

Is it just me, or is this thread just us three trying to take the piss out of each other?

that pretty much sums it up yeah, although replace us 3 with us 2 mostly taking the piss out of dinky :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:54 pm

nah. I mean...yeah. but you catch a lot of shit too. I tend to make fun of myself too though. so that tips the scales in my favor. :lol:

watched through ep10 of farscape s5. so far, it's easily the second worst season. it's moving very slowly. "tormented space" just sounds stupid (like it should be in space balls</i> not a show that's supposed to be taking itself seriously). they did their mario + zelda ep where crichton's trapped in a video game. feels like the series is just spinning its wheels. there was the die hard ep with a scarren in it. that gave some hope to getting back on track. iunno. s2 was like this too. have to expect it will pick-up for the three-parter beginning at ep 19.

"flying through wormholes ain't like dusting crops boy..." this thing really does pay (especial) homage to SW.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General