The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Jynks on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:49 pm

28 days later blows. Farscape has its moments... <ducks>
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:54 pm

coming from a stargate fan, that don't amount to jack shit ;)

:mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Jynks wrote:28 days later blows.

I watched half of it on me dvr a while back - they had just gotten into the tunnel and the car stalled. but I wasn't very into it, and something else came up so I never bothered to finish and eventually deleted. but I figure if I'm going to give Brick a shot, 28 Days has to be a safer bet. Plus, I wanna get geared-up for Descent, but I'm not sure which version I wanna see.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:13 pm

watching the lost season 2 finale, watched both seasons in 4-5 days :o, people at work recommended it and while some parts are annoying the twists just keep u wanting to know about them enough to keep watching i guess, i would like to know whether they are on a real island or if they are all infact in purgatory

season 3 starts in october so gotta be ready :lol:

got 4 seasons of macgyver to watch after yay :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:34 am

Well i just come back from a piss up... but I watched Silent Hill earlier and it was enjoyable but the enjoyable bits came about of CLONING the game. I mean scene for scene, artwork for artwork cloning. The movie contributed nothing to its success as a horror, but it was a good film nethertheles because of the artwork of the game. Really good stuff.

I do not like the games but i love the art work.

Resident evil is a shit stain in the underpants of hollywood in comparison. A real shame since the actual source is waaaay above that status.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:45 am

yes resident evil is vastly superior to silent hill (games) i found the sh games a tad on the boring and pointless side myself, dlding dvdrip of silent hill now so i may watch it tomorrow

incidently you spell well for someone whose completely leathered spud
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:47 pm

yup, but as my drunken ranting alludes to, I really do rate the art work for Silent Hill, its probably better than RE despite the games being a tad laclustre next to RE games :) There's just a really dirty, hellish quality to the monsters.

Silent Hill gamewise, I did like the way they took the shittiness of the PSX and made it into a selling point... ie. the fog 2 centimeters infront of your face was not intended but its the only way they could hold a framerate :lol:

I've put up the best two rips of silent hill on the mainpage and in the release section. Unseen for people with crap setups (no QPEL or CQM) and Arcon's for people with a decent setup (CQN and QPEL)

incidently you spell well for someone whose completely leathered spud

I remain articulate to the last, a true english man. :lol:
White Russains... the impact The Big Lebowski has had on my health hasn't been postive. :googley:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:03 pm

i've been playing prey a lot yesterday, its pretty good but i dld it off newsgroups and i cant help but get the feeling its running at a horrible refreshrate and somehow feels all.... dirty and rip. Also something that annoys me in games (prey does this among others) when i set it to run at 1600x1200 it puts big black borders down the side of the screen as if the picture is offcentre or something, anyone know how to fix this without lowering the res i play the game at to 1024x768 (sickening)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:17 pm

I just do not think there are many good games anymore. I havn't played a game I have really liked for so long. I mean there are the games that are like in there zillionth form.. say 2D fighters like Capcom and SNK, or 3D ones like the Namco ones, first FPS, RTS.

All the game are so alike that i can not tell the diffrence between them most of the time. I am really waiting for a new big breakthough in computergame tech. Somthing as big as wolfenstien or somthing.

People are still trying that game spore is a good example of a cool looking game. And it shows me what I belive the next stage in game development is. AI / Script / some prtoggramming magic controled story/animation. I think in the future we will have procedual storylines, cutscenes etc etc. The truly interactive film will come and games like rez evil will be 100% random everytime you play.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:14 pm

i think maybe your being a tad critical there. Although i will admit there is one genre of game that has remained pretty much unchanged gameplay wise and that is fps games, essentially they are all alike from the first ever fps games like the original quake, doom etc all the way to modern day fps, the only thing that really changes is improved graphics, every now and again you get an fps that is a cut above the rest in storyline, graphics etc like halflife 2, farcry, prey and while fun to play essentially its the same old thing man with gun goes shooty shooty

third person shooters add a tad more in the gameplay stakes making some of them more like 3rd person graphical adventure shooters

RTS is varying with closer combat camera angles, further zooms, beter graphics, more intricate micro management and spanning single player and no 2 games alike multiplayer, although really the only significant rts games are age of empires series and rise of nations (i hate to say it but microsoft have that market well and truely covered with ensemble and bighuge games respectively)

Graphical adventure games (point & click or not) have always been a firm favourite of mine, every game has always been interesting and different (at least the first time u play) of course with modern graphical adventure games most are made with multiple endings and routes so they dont play the same all teh way, one of my favourites recently was Fahrenheit, i loved it. Some adventure games are just so great that even though you have played and completed them you can go back to them for the fun of them like Beneath A Steel Sky (BASS 2 is due out sometime next year i believe), Monkey Island, Simon The Sorcerer (let's pretend sts 3 doesn't exist shall we)

But i do see what you mean jynks a revolution in gaming is needed to freshen things up, the problem is of course companies don't like taking risks on something that might not take off. In it's day Resident Evil helped bring the whole survival horror genre into its own and its remained since, just as GTA brought...erm.. Crime 'Em Ups? :lol: into a subgenre

either way i hope to see some new ideas in gaming just as much as you, but i can be satisfied with a few current games, although nowadays i do usually stick with aoe3, and a couple of others, i dont game as much as i used to really
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:10 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:y
White Russains... the impact The Big Lebowski has had on my health hasn't been postive. :googley:
:rock:

first 3 eps of farscape s1. it's good, but you really have to look past a lot of terribly rubber-looking prosthetics. also, it looked like eryn was trying to assfuck the blue girl while she was "sharing the pain" of the ship.

I already know the "real" reason spud pimps this show though: there's an overt SW reference in every other ep:

"it reminds me of home - or dagoba"
"dagoba?"
"yeah, you know. where yoda lives"
"what's a yoda?"
"little green guy. trains warriors. you'd like him"
:lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:10 pm

i cant help but get the feeling its running at a horrible refreshrate and somehow feels all.... dirty and rip

Prey was very smooth for me, even on full whack. Its a modified Doom3/Quake4 engine so it looks nice but its not that demanding.

As for your resolution problem, sounds like a monitor issue to me. My tfts native resolution is 1600x1200 so i tend to play games at that. You need to adjust the controls on your monitor to 1600x1200, CRTs are pretty shitty at remembering their settings at different resolutions, i take it your desktop native is not 1600x1200?

@fps comments, its a streamlined genre, it started off simple and there's not really any place to go. But anyone claiming that wolfenstein 3d is like quake, which is like half-life which is like Goldeneye is being a tad naive. They are evolving but your not going to see big leaps in variation. I mean System Shock and Dues Ex went in a different direction too.

@adventure games... i prefer action adventure games as you can tell from my sig. Zelda kick started the genre, and then you got the hybridisation with RPG and classic pc based adventure games which has ended up with ranging titles from RE to GTA:SA. Tis my favourite genre.

@farscape, Well when you get to Crighton pretending to be a sheep in another one of his f*cked up plans @ S4 you'll see why people like Farscape very much. I think that's one of the main appeals, their plans suck balls. They always fail. Just refreshing to see something where its all a big f*ckup and there's no tachyon polarity reversal shit :lol:

Series 1 of farscape is quite different to the later one, it starts off kind of like any other scifi show. But you said you watched it before so you'll already know that. I'm not a big Zhaan fan (:wacky:), i think here character didn't really develop so she ends up being a tad annoying after a season or so.

I actually like the huge variation in prothetics and the gore, I mean it might be a tad rubbery here and there, but they actually look like aliens, and they vary hugely between the races both in size, scale, etc. And if there's face ooze then all the better. Scorpius (aka. Mr Flem) and the Scarrans look cool as cheese :)

Actually i guess that's another star wars thing, with over the top prosphetics you get that Cantina vibe :lol: I mean a hand puppet trading with a big spider.

Anyway I just watched, a wikki-wild-a-wikki-wild-wild-west. Sucks ass but its not as truely awful as i expected. But its not good... at all.

I run out of disc space and i want to complete the mission to mars (or red planet, i forget which is which) rip. Sod's law. I'll see if i can get my xbox to play the part file though.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:20 pm

i've been having a fiddle (oh er matron) with my settings and i've got prey running nicer now :) i don't know what my native monitor res is, but i always put it to 1600x1200 and i do that for all my games too, although yeah it is a crt monitor (samsung 21" something or other) i got it cheap as its a discontinued model, its actually my third as the first two went tits over arse :S, i think i'm getting close to battleling the keeper in prey, the bit in the pipes with all the gravity changers does get a tad annoying but i got passed it, right now im flying a ship while asteroids batter the landing bay
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:31 am

she does get annoying - like watching an episode of kung fu (one of a zillion stupid, overt references...or maybe ben browden or whatever his name is just has no acting ability whatever, but the lines fall terribly flat). I didn't see all of s1 cuz I know I didn't see but 10-14 eps, and there's more than that in the season. but between the "every ep is a new rubbery alien" thing and the "every ep is a new reference to an earth movie" (empire, titanic, good bad and ugly), and "everything in the show is a knock-off of one or another previous sci-fi series/movie" -- well, I think that's why I stopped watching. but it is also pretty neat. I get the feeling that when I watch red dwarf, I will find the "nothing works like it's supposed to" stuff you like in farscape will be overpowering. is it just me or does "tech girl" look an awful lot like that feline chick who shows-up later?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:48 pm

na, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0249319/
vs
http://imdb.com/name/nm0176895/
:)

BTW, have you got all the episodes lined up... the worst thing ever is waiting for the next Farscape episode to download when you get going. :matrix: I did have the intention of ripping the series @ AFR, but I don't have the bandwidth to do 4x ~22 episodes :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm

started space 1999 season 1, up to 1x04, so far the series isnt as good as i remember, really slow moving, altho i hear season 2 is faster moving, maybe thats what i saw when i was younger
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:36 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:BTW, have you got all the episodes lined up... the worst thing ever is waiting for the next Farscape episode to download when you get going. :matrix: I did have the intention of ripping the series @ AFR, but I don't have the bandwidth to do 4x ~22 episodes :(

yeah. that's why I'm watching it atm. veronica mars is coming down piecemeal. I didn't see an s4 for farscape though. is that what you're calling peacekeeper wars or something dif?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:53 pm

coming down like piecemeal???
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:28 pm

series 4 is a full series, the best series (since each series is better than the last). Peacekeeper wars replaces series 5.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:38 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:coming down like piecemeal???

one ep at a time, ergo -

piecemeal

piece·meal [pss ml]
adverb
1. gradually: little by little
2. in parts: in separate parts or fragments

adjective
done part by part: done in a disorganized or fragmentary way
His novel is a ragtag, piecemeal work.

[13th century. From piece + obsolete -meal “measure,�
dinky