The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:50 pm

crossworlds, hmm i think ive seen that, although i may be mistaking it for screamers which is still utter shit so it really makes no difference
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:39 pm

aha superman 3 is ace... its not in the slightest but its still ace :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Barry Norman eat your heart out, we have a new reviewer in town, "Well this film is fucking shit and i hate it, but its's still ace, spud review 2006"
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:56 pm

well that's essentially what Jonathan Ross did to Film anyway :lol:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/film2005/fil ... 2005.shtml
Actually, he did better than the oscars :lol: Don't know how the crap he can choose serenity of sin city though :)

But then what do you expect from a guy that starred in Pervirella :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:05 pm

wibble wibble vis film is 3 wibbly eggs out of 5 wibble..... and a half :googley:
i've never seen firefly and i don't really have an urge to either, from what people have told me its more of a western, and i'm not a big fan of westerns so.....
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:27 pm

its buffy in space despite what people say. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

As a western it would be a shit one, no... its a scifi. They act like cowboys, but then that's very common in scifi, and not just in galaxina or westworld, but the whole final frontier motif.

dinky will pimp out firefly better than i can, i didn't rate it obviously. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 am

:lol: I actually didn't like the series the first time around. watching on dvd was another experience though. very good series. certainly more worthy than most shit that gets renewed. iunno why the networks ever bother with genre shows. by definition, they aren't mainstream. :lol:

anyway, watch the serenity movie. it's a lot more buffy-in-space than firefly, but it's also a quicker way to gauge whether you'd like the series or not.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 am

firefly has one of the best rouge charicters ever. Him, Han, Indy and Jack. A very, very cool charicter. Ruthless, breaks the rules, even crule... but has a strong moral center. A real "chaotic good charicter to use the old D&D terms. very fun to watch.

@spud. Not a western in sapce? Come on in one ep they are transporting stolen cattle :P

I personaly didn't like the movie to much. I loved the series. I heard rumors that there is going to be a telly 2 part movie on the scifi network set after the film. With plans to renew the serires based on view numbers (like they did with battlestar)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:14 am

movie moves faster and has more action. max ought to like it more. ;)

finishing jedi as I type. yoda just died. :(
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:55 am

hmm maybe ill give serenity a chance then see what its like
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:52 pm

@jynks, no its space with western. Scifi is the first and foremost thing about it, just like Galaxiana and West World, hell its not even as westerny as west world. I'd hardly say if you don't like westerns you wouldn't like firefly. I would say if you like westerns you might not like firefly, its a piss poor western.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:38 pm

:lol:

its major underlying themes are canonical scifi. but space western seems like a fair categorization, which just refers to the formalized setting or the container rather than content.

as for the series, if you couldn't tolerate the muppets 'n' whatnot on farscape, you're prolly not going to be able to look past the westernish window dressing of firefly either. well...at least that was my impression of the series. it's toned-down a bit in the movie serenity though, partly to skew to a wider audience (I'd imagine) and partly to emphasize the distopian and civilized/savage themes of the major story arc.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:18 pm

I still don't understand how anyone can "hate westerns". Its like saying you hate books... not what kind of books, just books. :lol:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly rules....

"The circle is now complete..."
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:56 pm

I'm not a big fan of westerns, i like the good, the bad, & the ugly, but thanks to the likes of pussy boy john wayne & clint eastwood it puts u off westerns with their shitness
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:12 pm

erm...wasn't clint the lead in most of the "good" westerns?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:43 pm

i dont like clint eastwood he pisses me off, only films i like him in are the ones with that ape in aswell or whatever it is, orangatan or something, which i know are universally referred to by his fans as his worst movies :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:44 pm

dinky wrote:erm...wasn't clint the lead in most of the "good" westerns?

Totaly. Even after the Sergio Leone films with are simply the best westerns ever made (imo). The Good the bad and The Ugly, Fist full of Dollars, a few dollars more, Clint went of fto make a load of "top" westerns. Pale Rider, Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, The outlaw Josey Wales..... every one of these films is a classsic and a freakn leader in the gener.

John Wane is no more a "western" star as "The Lone ranger" is. I mean he was in western movies, but when I think of westerns it isn't the crap Americian iconography from the 50-60. It is the gritty 70's+ flicks.

Also what about the Dirty Harry movies? Clint Eastwood is da man!!! (well one of em anyways)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:36 pm

dinky wrote:erm...wasn't clint the lead in most of the "good" westerns?

yes, all three of them :wacky:

Even after the Sergio Leone films with are simply the best westerns ever made <s>(imo)</s>.

You don't need imo, i don't think anyone could come up with any arguement against that one. Even his "bad" ones are better than most other westerns.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:35 pm

all this talk has inspired me to pick-up a copy of the man with no name collection. 8)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:35 pm

yesterday, I queued torrents for 28 Days Later, Farscape s1, s2, s3, Space Above & Beyond, Red Dwarf S1.

at the same time, I queued individual eps of Veronica Mars s2 on the mule. Well here I am 12 hours later, and when the FIRST VM episode (350mb) is about to finish (all others are paused, so there's 220+ sources), 28 Days Later, Farscape s1, and half of both s2 & s3 are completed. I mean, I knew BT was hella fast just by the rare times I've used it, but that's pretty insane ratio. (of course, it will take me forever to get my share ratio up to snuff at 25 kb/s :lol:).

it figures that VM s2 is the one series I'm time-sensitive eager to see (before s3 starts broadcasting). couldn't find a nice bag-o-seasons like the other rips though. :?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General