The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:52 am

yeah i didn't get the whole grown up isabel deal either, it seemed a really stupid idea, i did like the whole war thing that was starting up, let me guess they stopped that and completely pretend like it didn't happen?, incidently was that guy with the beard supposed to be Jordan Collier back from the dead?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:04 pm

I thought it was supposed to be him, but iunno. the lawyer guy looked at a pic on his desk and said something like "make sure he doesn't go anywhere near sean." the war thing is the only good part about s3 so far. everything about isabelle annoys me. even when there is some sci-fi stuff with the little girl who sees the future, I thought it just looked...uninteresting. like gee, must have taken a genius to come-up with that plot "twist."

speaking of which, saw you, me & dupree</i> yesterday. disposable, formulaic comedy. I liked it. laughed a bit. some 90s nostalgia that cracked me up.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:40 pm

just watched the first 2 eps of season 3 (the new world) and it was really suckingly crap, this is a rare thing for me to do but it actually took me 4 sittings to actually complete it, as i kept turning it off

i think i maybe dlded a bad cap of it too as it was both eps combined and kept repeating scenes towards the end, and went out of sync towards the end too, which really did nothing to keep my attention when it was already taking all my time to be attentive to it anyway.

Also i see what you mean about Isabelle, every scene with her in and just her in general sucks, they should've left her as a baby, at least she had the whole "what will she become" angle going. The whole grow her up really fast and age lily to death was a really stupid plotline. I'm guessing possibly the original Lily actress had an argument or something?, that's what ti seemed like anyway, she made a hurried departure from the series and they rushed to replace
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:50 pm

:lol: that was my initial thought as well. the dvd extras from s2 said that billy boyd (jordan collier) could only film half a season cuz he had a commitment to sail around the world or something, so that's why he was killed. so could be anything. but I SO much prefer the threat of the super-child than them actually trying to show it (especially on a second rate cable tv channel that could never even afford to do it right if by some miracle they came across a servicable plot & script).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:43 am

ah i see, sailing around the world... well at least they came up with an original excuse :lol:

just watched the 2 parter (Gone) 3x04 & 05 it was definately better then the first couple eps by miles, although one thing thats bothered me right from the beginning, something that contradicts the entire story

in the beginning they think they were abducted by aliens right? and then later reveal they are from earth in the future.... so if they abducted the 4400 to the future then why would they shoot them through space in 1x01 to return them to earth?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:20 am

mmm...dramatic effect? iunno. I guess the 2 parter is the one where the little girl gets kidnapped? I haven't seen the second part of that. I was kind of annoyed by the first part. I mean, either the future is full of incredibly fucking retarded people or this is the most ill-conceived plot devise ever (telling everyone that the abductions are from the future - and being sincere about that fact...and then turning the future humans into monsters). and here I thought the girlfriend who goes on mental vacations was the stupidest recurring character/plot device of the series.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:23 am

i watched the original superman which i've not seen for like 15 years, much different to what i remember, infact i thought most of it was superman 2. Very long movie.

Its funny, watching spiderman afterwards, i have to say, i prefered the original superman by miles.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 am

spud that's because the first 45mins or so of superman 2 is infact a recap of superman 1, so technically it is half of superman 2 aswell :lol:

but yeah i like superman with reeve too, his clark kent fits perfectly with the character, alhough i swear if i hear that song lois sings in supes 2 once more... just once :matrix:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:10 am

oh and dinky, i found out why Laura Allen (Lily) left, apparently it was a business decision (but they would say that i guess), apparently though the script writers had a story arc where she aged anyway but it was meant to end differently.

I believe it was similar circumstances for Chad Faust (Kyle) leaving too, but at least the wrote him out in a decent way

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=36546
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:37 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:spud that's because the first 45mins or so of superman 2 is infact a recap of superman 1, so technically it is half of superman 2 aswell :lol:

Lol, really... damn so my memory wasn't as messed up as a i thought. Superman is like nearly 3 hours long. That was suprising, and i don't remember half of it.... what the hell was with those krypton prisoners if they weren't even going to show up in the movie? I guess they just decided "fuck it" and had the sequel planned from the beginning.

As far as comparison to modern super hero films, to be honest, superman is better than a lot of them. Its a bit silly, and there's random and rather weak saves barring the helicopter and the lava thing, but Superman was a lot cooler than i remember. I even liked the whole portrayal of clarke kent too... he plays up the fool, but he's not at all.

but yeah i like superman with reeve too, his clark kent fits perfectly with the character, alhough i swear if i hear that song lois sings in supes 2 once more... just once :matrix:

I remember reading about superman a while back that sums up superman the hero.

Unlike every other major super hero out there, Superman is the only one who's real persona is Superman, and he makes up Clarke Kent as a disguise, whereas other super heros make up there posona to hide their real identity (ie Bruce Wayne -> Batman, etc. but Superman -> Clarke Kent). There was an article about it I remember reading, which tried to argue he was the best superhero and the most unique one, despite superman being the butt of jokes and being misjudged.

ps. if i read that here, my bad.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:41 am

Then again on the other hand, stuff like Smallville is pretty much the "Can you read my mind?" bit from Superman on the Corn-o-meter, no wonder people think superman is gay! :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:27 pm

but what about lame spin offs like Krypto the superdog for starters, makes me sick just thinking about it

also superman 1 and 2 were filmed back to back, like matrix 2 and 3, and pirates/caribbean 2 and 3, but production ran out of money before 2 was completed and it ended up in hiatus for a but then superman 1 came out and the money it made (due to being ace) got superman 2 finished, and hence the inclusion of the phantom zone in supes 1
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:22 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
As far as comparison to modern super hero films, to be honest, superman is better than a lot of them. Its a bit silly, and there's random and rather weak saves barring the helicopter and the lava thing, but Superman was a lot cooler than i remember. I even liked the whole portrayal of clarke kent too... he plays up the fool, but he's not at all.

no way. no how. not even close. the original superman was complete and utter shit. the only good parts of it were basically preludes to superman 2 (and the clark youth parts were fine). it was incredibly bad. plot alone makes the first spidey far far superior.

edit: whoops, conflated the two posts...

spudthedestroyer wrote:Its funny, watching spiderman afterwards, i have to say, i prefered the original superman by miles.

I guess I'll let that pass since preference is a lot more indiosyncratic. but are you sure you don't just like superman more? cuz I still cannot conceive the two movies on the same plane. (although bryan singer would seem to side with you on the merits of the 70s supes)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:54 pm

dinky wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:

no way. no how. not even close. the original superman was complete and utter shit. the only good parts of it were basically preludes to superman 2 (and the clark youth parts were fine). it was incredibly bad. plot alone makes the first spidey far far superior.

erm the prelude was the whole moviesurely if they were written and filmed back to back ;)

Anyway, well it is better than a lot of modern comic book movies, its not hard, and its not hard for it to be. Obviously Sin City won't be on that list and i guess not Batman Begins, but shit ranging from Dark Man (a stink fest from Spiderman's director) to Catwoman... please, superman is way better as cheesy and flawed as it is. It was no way near as shit as I remembered it, it just jumped umpteen movies up the comic book list :lol:

But using Spiderman as a major counter point? it isn't even particularly good, not when there's batman begins or sin city on the list of refutal candidates, and the sequel is even worse than the first spiderman (which i also watched recently). You mention Bryan Singer, who has done so much shit and i hate a lot of his movies, but at least he scraped together a better comic book movie with xmen than Sam Raimi (who really doesn't have any excuses since he is the guy behind the excellent Evil Dead II). That is, even if xmen was no where near as good as it good and should have been under better direction (but better than other certain directors, like the adismal third xmen movie which made my list of films i won't watch for well over 15 years if ever :lol: ).

edit: whoops, conflated the two posts...

spudthedestroyer wrote:Its funny, watching spiderman afterwards, i have to say, i prefered the original superman by miles.

I guess I'll let that pass since preference is a lot more <s>indiosyncratic</s> idiosyncratic.. but are you sure you don't just like superman more? cuz I still cannot conceive the two movies on the same plane. (although bryan singer would seem to side with you on the merits of the 70s supes)

Well i did watch spiderman right after so it was actually direct reaction comparison; essentially it was a 'new' oldie vs an 'old' newbie, but I did prefer the original superman, despite it being crap. I was suprised but it allows you to see the rapid decline of hollywood, even with big budget nonsence. The message is there's at least slight value to oldie shite than there is modern shite I suppose, and it is more than nostalgia. Seemed more original, unique and a risky production, and far less predicatable. The script was poor, but the dialogue was actually okay in places, as was the characterisation. Spiderman's characterisation is pretty lousy and the dialogue is all soundbyte so there's no real improvement there. Spiderman's improvements are only really in pacing and newer techniques and editing, its a modern film but i don't think that makes it a better film. Superman doesn't really fit into a nice singular film and max stating it was meant to be two films makes that make sense. Superman is far too long and corny, spiderman was far too retarded and corny. Heads or tails really.

What amazes me was the acting, we are talking about superman for pete's sake; yes the god damn acting was better in superman. Okay maybe we shouldn't include William Defoe in that? :lol: I was completely flabbergasted, I'd always pictured superman as this big piece of shit movie and that's probably why i'd avoided it for 15 years. But then with whats on display in spiderman that's not really hard (someone kill Aunt May, Peter Prick and Kirsten Dunst please :lol:), in contrast i'd only seen spiderman a while ago and now i don't want to watch that shit for 15 years now. I guess its put me off as much as superman did in the first palce when i was younger :lol:

Maybe it was the detatchment from newness that let me evaluate spiderman differently, and found that it was just as empty and crappy as the next movie. Superman is cheesy as shit, but at least Christopher Reaves was entertaining, as was the characterisation :wacky:

But then again, superman is pretty gay... :lol: I won't be buying that shit on dvd or anything.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 pm

But then again, superman is pretty gay... I won't be buying that shit on dvd or anything

so this wasn't you i saw in HMV buying superman 1-4, supergirl, Krypto the superdog, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman & superboy then?

:lol: :lol: sorry could'nt resist
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

no i was the guy dressed in pink, with the ripped vest and nipple clamps buying Sex in the City, Queer as Folk, "The OC" and Smallville. :wacky:

edit: christ there's four superman films? :o I knew there was the 3, didn't know there was four. :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:00 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:erm the prelude was the whole moviesurely if they were written and filmed back to back ;)

lemme put it like this: the major conflict in superman was retarded. not comic book silly. just plain ole retarded. it was bad. and there is nothing nearly so bad in spider-man as the utter shit monologue lois doles-out while supes flies her around. everything remotely merit-worthy from superman properly belongs to superman 2 (the krypton scene, the landing on earth, the snippets of clark growing-up). why? because there's no fecking story in the first movie! there's a walking punchline of a lex luthor and the dumbest fucking time travel scene in the history of hollywood.

Anyway, well it is better than a lot of modern comic book movies, its not hard, and its not hard for it to be.

hence the edit. catwoman and electra are two of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen.

But using Spiderman as a major counter point? it isn't even particularly good, not when there's batman begins or sin city on the list of refutal candidates

no, it's not. you're right. the others are far better (as are spidey 2 and x2). but I thought you were directly singling-out spider-man (which you confirm that you were later-on anyway), not catwoman or darkman. ffs, at least spidey's origin story/movie was a servicable plot.

Superman doesn't really fit into a nice singular film and max stating it was meant to be two films makes that make sense.

only because they made the lex-earthquake shit the focus of the first movie instead of the general zod thread that they firmly established at the beginning of the first PoS movie.

What amazes me was the acting, we are talking about superman for pete's sake; yes the god damn acting was better in superman. Okay maybe we shouldn't include William Defoe in that? :lol: I was completely flabbergasted, I'd always pictured superman as this big piece of shit movie and that's probably why i'd avoided it for 15 years. But then with whats on display in spiderman that's not really hard (someone kill Aunt May, Peter Prick and Kirsten Dunst please :lol:), in contrast i'd only seen spiderman a while ago and now i don't want to watch that shit for 15 years now. I guess its put me off as much as superman did in the first palce when i was younger :lol:

I don't care if spider-man was acted with popsicle sticks and a cardboard backing. the fact that it's a legitimate story alone makes it superior to that shitty first superman movie, which I'm disgusted with myself for ever liking.

But then again, superman is pretty gay... :lol: I won't be buying that shit on dvd or anything.

I'm a collector. I might just buy the superman stuff. I already have the sam raimi collection. :twisted:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:12 pm

I think you might be overstressing Spider Man's story there :mrgreen: But it did have one, but then I would rather watch a mess like David Lynch's Dune than a movie with no real art direction or originality. And Lynch's dune was a real f*ckup too :lol:

As for collecting, christ, didn't sam raimi do that gay ass bassball movie with kevin costner? You bought that? :o

Damn, maybe we need a "who's got the least shitty dvd collection" thread :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:23 pm

I'd win i'd win :Dand yeah supes 3 was the wankoff tossface of a movie with robert vaughn as the baddy and richard pryor

supes 4 was the quest for peace where supes throws all the nukes into the sun and lex uses that to create.... NUCLEAR MAN or something equally as gay
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:07 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:As for collecting, christ, didn't sam raimi do that gay ass bassball movie with kevin costner? You bought that? :o

hmm...no. haven't come across it yet. or darkman, for that matter. but if those are the worst movies he ever does (actully, just the darkman stuff - for love of the game is a solid movie), I'd say that's one hell of a damn good career.

I think A Simple Plan is underrated (I much prefer it to Fargo) and The Gift was a very good southern gothic movie. both The Gift and For Love of the Game are pieces of americana though, so I'm surprised when anyone outside of that cultural heritage appreciates them.

anywho...latest entourage</i> and deadwood</i>. entourage</i> was excellent once again. priceless line: E's girl and her friend drunk dial him, and say that the friend wants to have a threesome with them. of course E discusses it with his crew, and Turtle drops this priceless nugget: "shit, E. I'm whacking-off to your girl tonight." :lol:

I was rolling. ah. good times. good times.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General