The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:56 am

how do you feel about this statement: paul anderson makes bad movies that piss off fans of the franchises, but uwe boll makes him look like a savant.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:07 am

dinky wrote:how do you feel about this statement: paul anderson makes bad movies that piss off fans of the franchises, but uwe boll makes him look like a savant.

It makes my blood boil :matrix:

what i meant was, we've never read the comic and we liked the movie, if we had read the comic maybe the movie wouldn't've been as good, in the same way perhaps people who haven't seen alien or predator (i know its unlikely but still young 'uns today) might like paul anderson movies

with regards to Uwe Boll movies as he makes game movies its likely a lot of people have never played the source material, obviously in the case especially of Boll they like poorly constructed movies. Actually with regards to Boll he is proof that every theory has flaws
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:39 am

uh...I wasn't really trying to continue the V for Vendetta thing. more like it led me to the other question, and I'm still not sure I understand your reply. I thought I was asking whether anderson and boll are equally bad. I haven't actually seen a boll movie - although I did consider seeing alone in the dark cuz of slater and bloodrayne cuz it's vampires, but they're also 2 of the very few movies that I've NEVER heard/seen a positive review of.

:lol:

edit: latest entourage, deadwood, 4400.

4400 wasn't very good. others were fine. entourage was too quick. I could watch that show for hours. wish it was more than 30 mins.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am

ah i guess i misunderstood your misunderstanding of my question then :lol:

I'd probably say Boll is worse then anderson simply because Boll publcally refuses to accept how bad he is and makes a big fuss about ti whereas anderson just gets on with it and doesnt say a word... altho still makes crap
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:37 pm

I played through F.E.A.R which is now posted in the Game section. You need a decent PC to play it, but its worth it.

Another indication at the increasing artistic and storytelling of modern gaming. Its a nice game that blends a bit of scifi with some really fast paced action, good scripted enemies that show indications of basic tactics, and great visual style. Nice bmovie horror story. More reminisant of Japanese horror than american, but its a prime candidate for a movie

It impressed me so i bought it, largely for the "DVD extras", which is a prequel short movie, interviews, and documentaries. What with HL2: Episode 1 having full blown audio commentary, and the increasing amount of collector's box sets, its undeniable that gaming is taking over and becoming a more rounded entertainment business.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:54 pm

i tried F.E.A.R. but for some reason it just wouldn't load, even though the 1st time i installed it when ti first came out it worked fine and i enjoyed it

if i see a game i really want (like age of empires 3 for example) i will buy the collectors edition anyway, the aoe3 collectors edition was very worth the money, you got the game (duh!), a making of dvd, a huge hardback book of concept art and facts about teh game etc, the strategy guide, the soundtrack cd, a demo cd (to give friends to get them into the game), a giant A2 size full colour poster. I swear there was something else with it too but i forget now
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:37 pm

probably a) you didn't install the crack or b) your pc sucks major donkey balls :lol:

I got a PCI-Express Nvidia 6800 GT and an Athlon 64bit 4000+ and i can't play it on high settings. Its dusted a few weaker gpus (according to the fileheaven thread anyway), which along with Oblivion has probably got a few sales for ATI/Nvidia. Got to be a pretty powerful game to overheat and break a GPU :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:41 pm

i did install the crack and my computer does not suck donkey balls (its upgraded from the first time i played F.E.A.R.) its now got a pci-e card in and a athlon64bit 3700+

i dno, i'm sure i'll get over it, especially with the likes of MS Ship SImulator being released :lol: (ps: i'm not joking there really is one coming out :o )
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:31 am

AMD is building a processor plant in my area. 8)

I guess the gas/shipping prices kill the taiwan manufacturing values? anyway, as if I needed another reason to prefer amd.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 am

what kind of plant? tulip, daisy or the more traditional cpuas processoracilius?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:10 am

the latter. :D
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 pm

watched the last half hour of philidelphia</i>. seemed rather anti-climactic. think I prefered a fiew good men</i> and even the rain maker</i> possibly even that john travolta thing...a civil action</i>.

cinderella man</i>. it wasn't bad. it wasn't good either. I guess that makes it bad. but I didn't hate it. it was just blah. I'd rather watch rocky</i>...or rocky 2</i>...or rocky 4</i>...or an officer and a gentleman</i>. also too long.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:49 pm

dinky wrote:AMD is building a processor plant in my area. 8)

I guess the gas/shipping prices kill the taiwan manufacturing values? anyway, as if I needed another reason to prefer amd.

i think they get subsidies from your government for throwing jobs to US people. Ask your congressman about it and i'm sure he'll take you for a spin in his suspiciously new car.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:12 pm

:lol: oh yes. it goes without saying that any big business gets major tax (cut) incentives to locate to anyplace in the US. and the worst part of it all is that this kinda shit isn't just U. S. versus Mexico or Taiwan. It forces states to compete with states (and cities and counties within the states) to offer the sweetest deal cuz it means more jobs and more spending and more service jobs for the people with the more jobs and an and ad nauseum. but there are much easier ways for politicians to milk the system. these moves are more for popularity - and actually doing something positive at least for their own constituencies.

superman returns</i>. it does indeed pick-up where superman 2</i> left off. and that fact alone scared the shit out of me, cuz I actually hate the first donner movie and like its sequel but can only stew over the missed opportunities of it. what I absolutely hated about the reeves movies was how completely retarded lex luthor was. they took this great, twisted, megamillionaire genius villain and turned him into a walking punchline from ladyhawke</i>. don't even get me started on mario puzzo's poetry. let's just say that this was the first superman</i> movie EVER with a respectable approach to the main villain(s) - even superman 2</i> had the retarded ox who followed zod to go along with the bumbling lex. I think maybe that's why I like smallville</i>. for all it's cheesey, 7th heaven</i>-like moments, it doesn't TRY to make the bad guy a walking punch line. anyway, the plot was a neat way to bring superman</i> back for the 21st century. kind of like the play within the play. also lots of winks and homages to the donner movies, but thankfully the retarded poetry moment doesn't actually happen. the whole plot itself is a bit of a nod to the first movie. but don't worry, superman doesn't reverse the spin of the earth to go back in time (motherfucks! :evil: - sorry, that still irks me about the 1970s version).

the leads actually do quite well. I suspect bryan singer has one of those quentin tarantino foot fetishes. the guy who plays supes looks a lot</i> like a young tom cruise with a fuller frame. I actually prefer him to christopher reeves. but I think that has a lot to do with the cheesiness of the late 70s scripts and setting in general.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 am

i thought the new superman actor looked a bit like chris reeves actually, just with some sort of actual physique to fill the costume of superman
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:58 am

just watched the latest doctor who episode, what an episode it was too, i knew the cybermen were going to be in it (it was obvious weeks ago) but the twist at the end was wicked, can't wait for next week

they've been blatantly hinting about Rose leaving for weeks too so it came as no suprise that the ep started the way it did
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:21 am

I finally got round to seeing Night Watch and I really, really enjoyed it. It was a really refreshing change from hollywood blockbuster shit. I can say I thought i was excellent (even if the uk dvd sucks balls and the subs are shit). I enjoyed it so much that i went straight onto watching Day Watch which ups the budget and the effects to hollywood levels but once again I enjoyed it a damn sight than most us movies.

Waiting for the third in the series anxiously :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Night Watch and I really, really enjoyed it. It was a really refreshing change from hollywood blockbuster shit

naturally though as it's got popular the u.s have decided they can't miss out on this and are remaking it.... fags
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:47 pm

we're talking about the russian vampire thing, aren't we?

you know...it's quite possible that it was briefly screened in US theaters, and because americans didn't like it/watch it, it left theaters just as quickly. iunno if it's any good or not, haven't seen it. most reviews were negative - strictly b/c/d movie stuff and not any plot to speak of. just a bunch of action. the 3 or 4 similar reviews make me think people just didn't like it. in which case, it's prolly a good movie to remake for american audiences.
;)

I see just about any vampire/werewolf movie that comes out (even ones I don't know are supposed to be vampire movies - ultraviolet</i> :lol:), but haven't been able to get into the mood to watch a subbed russian vampire action/gore flick with no greater meaning to it - again, just what reviews said about it. oh, I'll get to it eventually, but it's a very particular mood. I didn't run out to see brotherhood of the wolf</i> either, and I loved that.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:39 pm

Its based on a series of best selling Russian books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0434 ... e&n=266239
then the first movie at amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... e&n=283926

I hear that there are 3 books by this famous Russian scifi writer, and then within each book are three parts. So in total there are in fact going to be 9 movies made, the first Night Watch is the first part of the first book.... i think.

IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/
6.4/10 (7,976 votes)

Short... its not for everyone. Americans have always been intolerant of "foreign" movies so i doubt this is any different. I think the idiots at fox have recut it and bundled it with a copy of "Buffy the vampire slayer" and that's just... bizarre. Whilst using the word bizarre i think that sums up the movie, its not an easy, straight narrative which is a thing that typically scares and confuses American audiences too, or at least how the studios perceive the american audiences.

I can't say that i found many negative reviews for night watch but i didn't look for any, in fact it went down rather well from all i heard and has had a steady stream of positive press/promotion.

More importantly than info:
http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules/shar ... ies&id=203
http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules/shar ... ies&id=202

Its the most successful Russian movie of all time, what ever that means.

I wouldn't say its high art, but its got a weird and wonderful non-linear kind of narrative, and a more european (even if it is russian) kind of humour mixed in. I'd rather watch another one of these than most hollywood action films. Reminds me a bit of good films by that french Alien 4 director, good being most of the other films he made apart from alien 4 :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General