The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:04 am

watched The Outer Limits (1995) - 1x01 - Sandkings was better then i remembered it, beau bridges played the main guy, Kress, and his dad Lloyd Bridges played his dad (and i think beaus son played his son) but everytime Lloyd was on screen i just couldnt stop expecting him to say "looks like i picked the wrong week to quit amphetimines" and other such comedy lines from airplane :lol:

oh and as i know spud so adoringly loves the Bourne Movies more then anything in the whole world (1 was ok but 2 really really was boring) found this on imdb news

IMDB wrote:Greengrass To Helm 'Bourne Ultimatum'
Hollywood movie-maker Paul Greengrass has signed up to direct Matt Damon in The Bourne Ultimatum - the third installment of the action franchise. Speaking at Monday night's Empire Awards in London, the director, who also helmed The Bourne Supremacy after The Bourne Identity director Doug Liman pulled out, insisted The Bourne Ultimatum will be bigger and better than its predecessors in every way. He says, "We've got a script and we're underway. It's a new story, completely different from the novel. It was written by Tony Gilroy and Tom Stoppard. It's going to have all the excitement you'd expect from a Bourne film and all the intensity you'd expect from a Bourne story. I can't wait - it's just going to be f**king fantastic. It's going to rock. That's honestly what it's going to do. What direction? We'll have a better car chase, have more exciting action, more intensity and just generally be a f**king classy film. I think Matt Damon's looking forward to it like I am. It's going to be an absolute laugh."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0440963/

oh and i heard on lincs fm earlier..... i think you should all sit down this news is a devastating blow to taste everywhere good or bad it is that bad its worse then bad taste......

Dallas - The Movie starring jennifer lopez and john travolta..... WHY?????? :matrix: :matrix:

the series wasnt even that good, this is where we all wake up to find out its all been a dream and a good films just walking out the shower instead... right? :o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:01 am

Dallas remake with JLo

:lol: this is one of those days where I REALLY miss the rofl emoticon. :lol:

on another note...watched big love</i>, the new hbo series about the guy with 3 wives. it's not supposed to be a shot at mormons or anything, but it really is like watching that 60 Minutes</i> episode where the guy lives in a buncha trailers, home schools his kids and has sex with wives (some of them under 18 - he was arrested shortly after the 60 Minutes</i> ep was taped). the actual family isn't trailer park per se, but they come from a "clan" that is. it's fuct. it's not all that interesting either. I'd MUCH rather be watching season 3 of carnivale</i>. dead like me</i> was also more interesting. bill paxton shows a lot of range though. that was impressive. I only remember him in genre roles.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:19 pm

I've been watching shit loads of Farscape and, although my confidence about it was battered a bit when a year or so after seeing it I started re\watching Babylon 5 and other decent scifi shows, like BSG; after rewatching farscape again, I find my doubts totally unfounded I still easily find it the best scifi tv show i've ever seen on pretty much every single front.

Farscape is by far the best scifi show i've ever seen, I understand people don't like it and often its for the very reasons i love it, and I think I know why. Its because the characters consistantly do the wrong thing, tis one of the most prominant features of the show, they screw up badly. Hardly any of their plans work first time, and when they do, a lot of people end up dying. They always screw up and end up being chased, the characters are by far the most interesting and unique in all of scifidom, even the extras are great. Visually its most certainly the most asphetically pleasing scifi tv series i've seen, I know people don't like it on this count but i think its one of the strongest qualities myself, making the show unique and appealing, they go way over the top and to be honest it works a damn sight better because of it, where the aliens actually look exotic and alien; warts, gore and all. As they are big, weird and wonderful, it allows for the stories to play of that way in the standalone episodes.

Speaking of gore, there's more blood and killing than i remember, it makes me wonder if i saw censored episodes first time round (I understand it was cut on scifi).

Watching through it all you can see how/why the series worked so damn well, character play and continual-consistant story threads.

An example of how unique it is can be found in pretty much every episode, I had forgotten about some of the stuff the characters do that put them apart from any other show. ie. where they hold down pilot and chop off one of his arms for currency.

The show is consistantly good, and gets better each series. I can only point to a couple of poorer episodes over the four series. The show also has a consistantly moving arc, there's lots of standalone episodes, but they are strongly moulded into character building exercises and there's lots of 2\3 part episodes, which are extremely high on adrenaline. By the end of series 4, its all building up ("previously on farscape" gets longer and longer) and the 'final' episode just pisses you off so much when you consider that was going to be. Seriously annoyed me to the point i started going around looking for farscape news, luckily we got the mini-series but even when it reaches a complete state... you still need more.

Even though it reached a great end with the miniseries (and if you haven't seen it, i'd still recommend watching through all the series and seeing it), I'd pay for for more farscape again that's for damn sure. I just bought the entire series 1 and need to acquire 2-4 too now. The price is still £40-50 but its worth it for me.

I'd throw away any show if it meant more farscape, even shows i love to bits are irrelevant in a trade off for me.

So my favourite show ranking, farscape moves to below red dwarf in number two slot. Its extremely close, and a lot of that comes down to mentally blocking series 7 and 8 of dwarf, and some of the poorer episodes and being a long time fan and context. If i don't farscape would be really close.

In other show news, i watched the new family guy which is as good as to be expected from that show. I also watched sopranos but somehow felt kind of detatched from the show, lots of talking and banter i just didn't find relevant but then i can see they are just setting up the current layout of the family after the arrest and you can see the introduction of characters and tensions that are going to play out. I enjoyed it, but I don't know, I think i'm growing away from it like you sometimes get with shows when they get to that many seasons long and don't change so much.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:13 pm

watched latest family guy, i think its latest anyway... i take thee quagmire... or have i fallen behind? due to americas retardo schedules so that you can't follow things consistently

also watched latest scrubs eps aswell, and more married with children season 3 now, stupid dvds used some stupid crappy cover version for the music instead of the original frank sinatra one presumably due to not wanting/being able to pay the extortionate license fees for the songs rights

watched Postman Pats Banging Day Out aswell, very very funny, tv31.com or something like that took episodes of postman pat and slapped them together and redubbed over it to make pat appear like some sort of gangland debt collector who deals drugs and kid pron for the reverend at the church, very funny stuff

also caught up on the 2nd half of drawn together season 2, the scene in "The Lemon-AIDS Walk" episode where captain hero is on steroids so runs off to a place where he meets other cartoons who were once addicted to steroids and other enhancement drugs was hilarious, popeye, he-man etc etc were all in there and popeye dies of aids so captain hero vows to win a charity walk for popeye
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:51 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:I think i'm growing away from it like you sometimes get with shows when they get to that many seasons long and don't change so much.
I definitely understand that sentiment (and the long-ass hiatus didn't help matters), but there's such a dearth of shows (that I like) on right now. I catch the occasional rerun of entourage and enjoy it. big love isn't filling th shoes of...any other hbo drama. even smallville is in rerunville, so I can't get my weekly dose of pulp. caught aquateen hunger force and family guy the other night. they're always pretty decent but never in any kind "make time to sit down and soak it in" sort of way. now BSG is gone. I was even fine with following deadwood. but that hasn't come back with the sopranos either. guess I'll finally get around to checking out my name is earl.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:18 pm

my name is earl is okay, but quite frankly, with everything else on its no where near good enough for me to keep up with it.

My brother has me downloading house episode... damn what happened to Hugh Laurie's accent? :lol: I half expect him to go into Blackadder 4 mode.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:19 am

i was gonna watch house simply because of hugh laurie in blackadder... then i read a description fo house and the desire to watch it left me like stomach contents after a heavy session of drinking mixed with moshing and too much garlic sauce on too many chips... way too many

btw spud do u know if there is a uk equivalent of tvshowsondvd.com? coz im fed up of seeing good shows coming out in america only for a couple to make it over here and a gazillion years later
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:40 am

not to my knowledge, maybe you should register and make one?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:46 am

my name is earl is okay, but quite frankly, with everything else on its no where near good enough for me to keep up with it.

That show is crap I think.... if you are after a hillarious white trash tv show.. check out trailer Park boys.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:09 am

he's already checked it out i believe, as he told me to check it out lol

@spud, i am registered at tvshowsondvd.com but tbh i wouldnt know where to start at making one, getting release details, insider info etc
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:19 am

well making the site is easy, insider info you just gotta talk to people, sign up on forums, email dvd companies, email studios, ask to be put on subscription lists, browse lots of sites/magazines.

The usual info-network building techniques, most/all dvd magazines have lists in the front of them, but you just need to email the dvd making people themselves.

@jynks, i wouldn't say its crap, its just not much more than okay and i probably don't like it enough to watch any more (earl that is).

Trailer Park Boys is funny though, although i think its vastly overrated, as most north american shows seem to be that display an ounce of humour. Its not like its a place completely starved of comedy, but there's too much over compensation for the vat of crap in syndication imo, so I reserve the usage of hilarious :lol:

Shows like Bottom or Red Dwarf are hilarious to me. I smiled on the odd occasion at TPB but i can't remember laughing out loud at it and it was quite tame some times, its way better than my name is earl obviously. That said, my name is earl is a completely different kind of show, its more of a traditional light sitcom than the docu-trash tbp, and is much worse of course.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:17 am

bottom & red dwarf are indeed very excellent and hilarious, as is the young ones but thats really more a precursor to bottom in a lot of ways, i always thought Coupling was a really funny show, lots of laugh out loud moments, although certainly not as good as aforementioned programs
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:41 pm

never seen coupling for more than a minute, not my cup of tea.

For me, bottom was just young ones without the unfunny people and no dreadful popbands playing for a large part of the episodes
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:48 pm

but what about such great young ones quotes like

"I was walking a dog, and this bloke, he comes to me and says, "Nice day, innit?" But it wasn't. It wasn't a nice day. It was a little bit cloudy. Which makes him very sar-carstic. So acting as if nothing would happen, I took his head, right, put it in me mouth, right, acting dead casual-like, clamped me teeth, and BIT HIS HEAD OFF!! Cause I hate people being sar-carstic."

"Beep beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep beep, I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear. "

"All right. Now, shut up. [pause] Come on, get up Neil, there's a lot of work to be done. Neil? Neil?!..... Oh, God! Oh, God, I've killed a hippie! I've killed a hippie, and now I'll have to pay. Oh, God. Vyvyan's bound to tell on me, and I'll get sent to prison and raped in the shower by Mr. Big who's in with the warders. Oh! Burn the corpse! Burn the corpse. [rik tries to light Neil with a match, but he won't catch fire] Burn! Burn! Oh, trust Neil to be all soggy! Burn!"

"Oh dear. This calls for a very special blend of psychology ... and EXTREME VIOLENCE!"

"There's an atom bomb in front of the refrigerator."

classics
classics
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:57 pm

yeah but everyshow has classic quotes, see my sig for one :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:27 pm

yeah many bothan spies is a good quote :wacky:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:35 pm

ARGH speilberg stop it

now when worlds collide is getting a remake http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455856/

crapness expected as the original is excellent
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:49 pm

I think this movie is going to b good... Spielberg has a pretty good record for making decent flicks...
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:49 pm

Crichton: "Boy, was Spielberg ever wrong. Close Encounters, my ass."
:wacky:

I dunno about that one, depends what approach he takes. I wouldn't count against him, there's more chance it will be good than with most directors :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Jynks wrote:I think this movie is going to b good... Spielberg has a pretty good record for making decent flicks...

hello.... schindlers list, yawnsville

still i guess your right with it could be worse....it could be george lucas, in recent years hes lost the plot more and more, lol good job when worlds collide was never made into a game or we might get dr boll doing it :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General