The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:37 pm

hey i can watch films with heart to, im not some sort of unfeeling monster :lol: .... well not all the time :googley:

almost completed watching Voyagers! and watched the first episode of Johnny & The Bomb the other day, watched latest 2 scrubs eps last night too, completely forgot new smallville would eb out by now, watched latest surface aswell, one of my favourite if not overall favourite of kings would be the langoliers
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:15 pm

is that vampirey things on a plane in ww2?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:37 pm

what the langoliers? no, its about a group of people on a passenger jet that are asleep and when they wake up everyone else has gone so they land and everywhere is deserted, they find out theyve slipped into the space back to the day before where the langoliers are destroying it to create tomorrow and the passengers are in a race against time to find a way back to tomorrow and survival, really good
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:37 am

spud i seem to think u were asking if anyone knew if masters of horror had been renwed for a second series? i read this today

Showtime Renews Masters Of Horror

Showtime announced that it has ordered a second season of IDT Entertainment's critically acclaimed anthology series Masters of Horror. IDT will produce 13 new one-hour episodes of the series, whose segments are directed by prominent filmmakers in the horror genre. The second season will premiere in the fall.

The first season featured episodes by Dario Argento (Suspiria), John Carpenter (Halloween), Don Coscarelli (Phantasm), Joe Dante (Gremlins) and Lucky McKee (May), among others.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Watched Underworld: Clichévolution. Was okay but totally mindless... the best bit was Kate Beckinsale's chebs. Large sets and much more gore than the first, but crap story and standard hollywood set piece action which weren't really that good (more bling than substance). Rear chasecam shots of Kate were a saving grace. I wouldn't bother paying to see it.

@max, not me gov... i already knew its been renewed (posted it in the masters thread a while back). Your thinking of someone else... to be honest, Masters isn't even that good imo.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:42 pm

oh right, damn who was it then? :o oh well im sure they'll get over it whoever it was :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Doom:
SpudtheDestroyer wrote:As for the film.

Pathetic, some people say its the best game -> film but I don't think this is in the least bit true. As far as I recall Resident evil, as crap as it was, was a far better film than this.

What they had when starting this movie was a very decent wealth of art work , solid atmosphere and basic plot premise established by Doom3. However, they totally threw all of this in the bin, made it about squads of people (which is so stupid, Doom is about a lone marine vs demons) clearing rooms and then a bit of pseudo science. Doom3 was an ideal template, there were really brilliant locations and the lightin was superb... here it was just dark, the lighting was no where near as effective as in the game. The monsters were generally big turds (except for the wheelchair one, but in the game it looks a hell of a lot better).

This movie should have been lit much better, the sets should have been a lot grubbier, the monsters should have been a lot gorier, the actors should have been far fewer, at least the good guy ones, and ultimately like the games, the ultimate finalé should have been a Gigeresque hell dimension. Rather than a slow motion schuffle.

The fps bit is so lame, not that there's atmosphere to ruin but if there was it would have. Very stupid, slow and feels really shabby. The uber rock vs bit was just stupid it fealt like some cheap crappy movie by some mtv director... but I guess it is so that's hardly surprising.

The only really satisfying feeling you get from this movie is the feeling that with the budget you could have made a way better film. Another game franchise ass raped.

So in response to PCA, no not really, its another game->movie fuckup that fails to capture the appealing parts of the games (and the games are boring, lets not forget that, but even boring games have good aspects of art work and atmosphere and whilst i wasn't a fan of doom3 for example, i appreciated the atmosphere).

It is watchable, don't get me wrong, but i feel that the director/writers failed to grasp both the basic concepts of the games, and treated it like most hollywood garbage rather than as making a film for people to enjoy.

I stand by the opinion that movies that lie solely on making people jump aren't horror, you can make people jump just by splicing in a kitten... a horror film uses imagery, acting, and atmosphere to frighten the audience, this is more like a crummy scifi action. Some people enjoy this, but i think its just cheap.

Watched Silent Running. I still don't think this film is 'complete' it seems like a great start to a bigger movie, but it just doesn't seem to be a complete movie in itself, I always expect something more to happen when he's alone but instead it just ends. The soundtrack is terrible :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:51 pm

The soundtrack is terrible

Not as bad as LadyHawlk!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:00 pm

watched latest smallville, it was a bit of a cop out really, like dinky said, the episode it was obvious someone was getting set up to die, personally i couldntve cared less if it had been any number of characters (except lois and chloe who still need to do a lesbian hardcore fuck scene :lol: )

i think doom wouldve been better if it had been filmed like doom 1 with nice blocky pixels, and of course NO ROCK :matrix:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:44 pm

ducktales s1 d3
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:24 pm

I watched From Hell. Its not a good movie to any degree, its very comic book in some parts, but the ultimate feeling i get from that movie is that Ian Holm really is a great actor. He's just excellent in everything he does, no matter how rubbish the role or film, he's normally well worth watching. There's a lot of older british actors like that that have come from somewhere (I think they are stage actors?) that just know how to make the audience work for them.

Also been working my way through The simpsons series 7 box set. I just got it, so it pushed futurama aside for the time being (I'd just started rewatching futurama :) )
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:53 pm

ian holms the monk guy in the 5th element isnt he? if so then yeah he is a good actor, ive seen him in quite a few things and in each of them hes really good (usually the best actor)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby tweye on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:20 pm

more like ian holm the doc in alien :)
"You are beyond insane!"
tweye
Owns a Genesis Record

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:37 pm

lol, the fifth element... you have to choose the campest film he's in don't ya max?

Yeah he's Ash, Bilbo Bagins, etc. and pretty much everyone else, and everytime he's on screen he does a good job :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:29 pm

lol, the fifth element... you have to choose the campest film he's in don't ya max?

:lol: well come on you expected it of me surely, of course i couldv'e said aliens but tbh every other film i've seen him in completely blanked from my head at the time

although looking at his imdb page, o've seen mroe of his films then i at first thought

The Day After Tomorrow
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (i saw the first one, it bored me to death so didnt bother with the other 2)
From Hell (turns out i have seen it, i was getting it confused with that worse one ripper: letters from hell)
eXistenZ
The Fifth Element (didn't know his voice was used in the videogame aswell... what a lowering of standards for him that was) :lol: and you thought the film was bad spud
Loch Ness (i totally forgot this ever existed let alone had seen it.. DAMN YOU IMDB)
The Madness of King George
Frankenstein
Naked Lunch
Brazil (one of his best performances and a good film overall if you watch the real version) cheers to spud for pointing me in the direction of that one
Tales of the Unexpected
Time Bandits
Chariots of Fire
Alien
Juggernaut
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:40 pm

The Day After Tomorrow

lol, yeah i remember now, he plays the quiet english man.

Its like the macho americans save the world by invading mexico and the british are just left to freeze to death, but its too much effort complaining so we just all get drunk.

When you put his career in writing and remember the roles, no matter how much the movie sucks he's good in it. Forgot he did those cronembergs and those Gilliams until i saw them in writing.

He's awesome in brazil. He sums up how you expect the people who work for the council will be, too scared to do anything incase Tony Blair comes and cuts them for to ribbons for not following standard procedure. :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:24 pm

I agree. he is a dependable actor. he's done some trash, but who hasn't?

can't say I agree with ya on from hell</i> though. I mean, it's completely disposable, and I don't wanna come of as championing the movie, but I thought it was decent. although it is</i> a comic-inspired movie, I wouldn't make the association of "comic book movie," which I reserve for superhero fodder. this was more like 'trying to debunk the myth.' the same sorta stuff king arthur</i> and troy</i> did. I'd say from hell</i> was decent but lacking poetry; arthur</i> was totally formulaic and whatnot, but ok as far as the revisionist stuff goes...I mean...it was as good as you could expect from bruckhiemer :lol:; and troy</i> was just utter trash with really nice costumes and historical touches on the visual side (fatass brian cox as an angry agamemnon in a tikki dress notwishstanding).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:37 pm

lol, yeah i remember now, he plays the quiet english man.

Its like the macho americans save the world by invading mexico and the british are just left to freeze to death, but its too much effort complaining so we just all get drunk.

dont forget of course, like all americans think, his character was a manchester utd supporter of course :o, if i was gonna freeze to death in an underground weather research station up in scotland with 2 other scotsman id try and at least choose something better to watch then a man utd game, and of course that whiskey i bet that warmed them up :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby anarchoid on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:45 am

The movie what i saw , last time (yesterday) :

Marrying.The.Mafia.2
anarchoid
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:51 am

watched latest ep of surface, finally got round to starting the timecop series, watched first episode it wasnt all that bad really but then again it seemed to be over so quickly despite it was 45mins
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General