The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:20 am

didn't list movies i've not seen, never seen it myself but it will have to be f*ckin good to be one of his best :)

I know of it though, just never got a copy of it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:19 am

I strongly recommend it
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:21 pm

<I>Underworld: Evolution</i> was decent. It had more holes in it than the previous movie, which wasn't exactly hollywood royalty, but it wasn't anything like the mythology meat-grinder that van helsing</i> turned into. it also had a lot of the same good things going for it that the original had. umm...I would have gone a different way with it.

there's a nude scene with kate beckinsale, btw. but I kept wondering if it was actually her cuz she looked so fat. and I know she's like the definition of petite. couldn't have been a pregger shot either, cuz she goes through the whole movie in that tight leather get-up. *grin*

anyway, the movie cheats its way to an ending that could have been a lot more interesting and felt less rushed if they let me write/direct. 8)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby d0c on Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm

blah!!!
d0c
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:32 am

mean girls</i>. pretty good. stands up to the second viewing. sadly reminds me how pretty lindsay lohan could be w/o the paris hilton aesthetic.

watching return of the king</i> while BSG finishes.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:36 pm

i watched Straw Dogs... i love that film, but it still baffles me to this day why the BBFC banned it. it makes absolutely no sense, i've seen far, far, far worse films.

Straw Dogs is great though, like home alone, but with machettes, guns and traps... and drunken robbers that don't want to rob they want to kill a guy.

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:50 pm

dinky - i liked mean girls too (must be the smallville inside us :lol: ) but on the note of spud i also love straw dogs (got it on dvd aswell as i presume you have), good film and i cant see why the bbfc banned it either

that reminds me i made some pictures once a few years back combining aliens vs straw dogs
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jynks on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:24 pm

The thought of anyone not seeing this film makes me mad so click it damn u!!

usu4rio wrote:Hi,

I'm releasing The Tenant by Roman Polanski :D

I'm not quite sure if it's a DVDrip but quality is good
However as is the only Rip around, it's really worth downloading ;)

EDIT MOD: get the first rip because the second one is not IVTC'ed and FS

Few posts below Eyeore wrote:
ed2k: The.Tenant.1976.Polanski.CD1.avi  [694.43 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: The.Tenant.1976.Polanski.CD2.avi  [684.76 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: The.Tenant.1976.Polanski.EN.RUS_srt.rar  [54.7 Kb] [Stats]

DVDRip
Video: XviD 576x320 (1.80:1) 1393kbs 23.976FPS
Audio: MPEG Layer-3, 93 kb/s, monophonic VBR 48kHz

French audio; english/russian subs

EDIT MOD: Old rip

It's not my Rip and could'nt find the nfo
GSpot
Resolution : 456 x 336 (1.357 : 1)
Framerate : 29.970 FPS
Video Codec : DivX 5.0
Video Bitrate : 705 kb/s
Audio : MP3 64 kb/s CBR Mono
Size : 696 MB
Running Time : 02h 05m 23s

The.Tenant.1976.Roman.Polanski.avi
IMDB

My upload is only 12kb/s :( but I'm 24/7 online and I'll keep until is well spread :D

usu4rio

BTW: Could someone Rip/Share Bitter Moon?

[ Add all 4 links to your ed2k client ]
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:20 pm

you realize that there's absolutely noway that won't be a letdown now, right? :wacky:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:40 pm

i just cant download it because my driving instructor looks like roman polanski :o only more... gay

now thats what should replace AvP :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:03 am

in search of the trojan war</i> ep1. (1985)

meh. mostly a bio of the archaeologist (can't spell his name to save my life). history channel fodder.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:27 am

previously on battlestar gallactica, lots of cool stuff, as usual.
Watched some more of those My Name Is Earl still entertaining enough to keep watching :)
I watched the rather excellent Corpse Bride. I really enjoyed it, visually its as stunning as you expect, voice work is pretty generally great, I really liked it but i couldn't help think it was missing something.

i was going to watch the HDTV rip of underworld i've got but either my network or my xbox isn't fast enough to play it back... I think its the latter. Going to watch that with my pc which has no issues of power really, or at least shouldn't have (AMD64 4000+ + PCI-E gfx).

hmmm 123 pages long :lol:

@dink, its spealt Indiana Jones :googley:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:47 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:I watched the rather excellent Corpse Bride. I really enjoyed it, visually its as stunning as you expect, voice work is pretty generally great, I really liked it but i couldn't help think it was missing something.

like a plot on a micro-level? or remotely engaging characters? (most movies have to focus on one or the other) now THIS is a kids' movie. ;)

I agree about the visual imagery. plot-wise, the first 20 minutes were unoriginal but well done. the rest was mediocre-to-stupid. and the big finale gave me this feeling like "what? they run out of songs?"
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:00 am

it had a plot, just not anything beyond an imdb summary plot :lol:

Corpse bride didn't seem like it was a musical though, it was a movie with songs in it. Not like Nightmare... and I bet the only reason you like Nightmare even though its a musical is because Jack Skellington was the bad guy in Princess Bride (obviously Chris Sarandon and not Danny Elfman :wacky:)

See how i linked those 3 kids films together? Okay, i'll stop teasing you. :googley: :outsider:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:06 am

rot in the firery pits of mordor. :moon:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:05 am

Watched misery. The link being the director to the princess that dinky is doing. To be honest, misery is a way better film i thought, but running this site i'm going to say that ain't I :lol: What do you think about misery?

There's something weird about reiner's films, they feel so fake as if they are shot on a sound studio or for tv... am i the only one that expects the backgrounds to fall over. Its weird, its a kind of style a lot of his movies have. I mean even roger corman, who was working on a crap soundstage had the ability for some kind of illusion of film quality, even though most of the time it was exactly the same feeling. I didn't have it with spinal tap though, so maybe it was just a sequence of movies he made with the same cameras, etc. that made it seem very low tech and unfilm like.

Anyway, the actual film itself is actually quite enjoyable despite I don't think reiner has the basic abilility to make a dark and disturbing movie, and quite frankly that's what misery needs more than anything. For those that haven't seen it, I'll use spoilers but they are light. Given its about a guy that's held hostage, it seems to be shot at a very abstract and uninvolved level, you don't really see people emoting as much as you see fuzzy abstract sequences of events... its weird, but this is exactly a criticism i think holds true of Princess Bride too. Its just not quite 'engaging' enough. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean people won't like them, I just think ultimately it doesn't make it half way near as engaging for the audience and the characters are just brushed over and appear a tad hollow. I think its the type of camera work and interaction that does it, there's very little technique used to really... i don't know, this hitting any cords with anyone else? I mean take any movie, I'll take something out of the blue, The Shining... now here you see how the camera works and tells a story but also follows characters emotions, builds tensions not just setting the scene but playing with the audience. With Reiner's work, it seems that he's just filming the scene and I think ultimate his movies just miss that extra edge that would make them great. Misery is a fluffy movie where it should be downright brutal, and horrifying... i enjoyed it on some levels, but think its completely fails to engage emotionally. I also have this criticism of Princess Bride, I enjoyed it and found it a light fluffy movie with some great dialogue, but it seemed detatched from the characters, and from building emotion like I think great movies do. its a shame. I had a kind of deja vu with monkey shines a bit, i couldn't help but see the little similarities (okay so its not a monkey obviously, and its a bit different in context and reasoning) but Romero actually uses the camera more to his advantage to build, for example, desperation and fustration.

That said, I did like misery, and everyone remembers that nasty scene. Its just nasty, I hate stuff like that happening but that's why i love it. Let the audience get to the stage where they are uncomfortable and hate what's happening and what to stand up and do something but have to sit there and take it... i think it makes for great movies and breaks the mindset of playing up for the audience (Lucas, take notes, yes the audience want epic battles, but don't just give them epic battles, you've got to hold back and let the audience use their imagination, you've got to have your characters kicked around and things to be out of the audiences control, when you just cater for the comfort of a general audience, the movies are shallow and meaningless. Take the end of Empire for example, that's how you take expectation and "control" from the audience).

Damn, where'd my point go? oh yeah, reiner although has done some rather prominant movies, I think he would have benefited for stronger technical control in terms of building emotion with the audience, his movies are too detatched. i can't recall any others though to be fair, maybe its just those two?

Finally and a temporal aside, smoking is very prominant in Misery, there's a rather obvious close up shot of the main character enjoying his cigerrette... when did he change his mind and become anti-smoking? I assume now that he's a reformist and is reacting to what he did to present smoking on scene. Seems rather hypocritical on face value as is, so there must be something i'm missing in this anti smoking debacle.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:29 am

im guessing thats the same misery with james caan? i liked that film, so much infact i bought ti on dvd, i found it was pretty well done overall but yes it did feel made for tv, kinda like some sort of feature length murder she wrote episode in film quality and style, except of course ti was a more brutal story then anyone would find in murder she typed on a laptop

and did my eyes read correctly?? spud saying something nice about master of cheesey b-movies roger corman???, :lol: i like lots of roger corman movies, especially his earlier stuff, even if ti does follow the usual "nuclear testing in the 50s creates giant monster that terrorises mid west america" or the "aliens from outerspace invade earth in flimsy spaceships until one airforce pilot/navy commander/army general, his terrified woman companion and token nerdy weak scientist defeat them" plot, all good fun thought, one of his best ones for me is day the world ended

but hes of course done some good more modern things (and not so good... think carnosaur), but never fear as hes producing deathrace 3000 (sequel to deathrace 2000 another of his earlier attempts) this year... but then again paul w.s. andersons directing and writing so dont expect it to be good unless roger corman kills him instead
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:39 am

well roger corman did do a lot of good, but my specifics here is emotional attachment... murder she wrote is spot on, you have the same kind of detachment in that. As though its just not possible to engage with the character's blight in any level, nor does the movie attempt to do so. Your just watching things externally.

I think that's what would take films like Misery and Princess Bride from being good films, to being great films.

As for roger corman, I think it brought a lot of good to cinema, he really innovated and has been influential in far too many areas making it a joke not to acknowledge all his stuff. Most of his movies stuff, but the way of making films pushed forwards hollywood to better directions. To boot some of his movies were great, especially some of his gothic movies like Pit and the Pendulum
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 am

i havent seen princess bride so i cant comment although i think i have it on my hdd to watch, just getting time to watch it, i will check it out sometime soon though, got a few days off work for a change ('til wednesday infact) so i will get chance to catch up on my movies, tv and games.

incidently on a completely non related note altogether i bought a dvd recorder the other day to hook up to vhs/tv to cap old vhs that either aren't available on dvd and more then likely never will be (such classics as 1983 filipino action movie "Death Raiders", think a-team meets bruce lee) :lol: a steal at 50p from cash converters years ago, basically rare things like that (to be honest its pretty fun to watch if your in the mood for some real comedy foreignation 80s action), ive got it all capped to avi

the way iv'e done it is record to dvdrecorders hdd using the HQ mode (can only fit 1 hour fo HQ per disc tho so had to split and rejoin) then burn it to dvd then rip vobs to pc and encode that way, and if im honest i have to say it came out better then i anticipated, i will put a sample of it on my webspace later and link it, just to get some feedback.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:58 am

it's pretty absurd, so you might like it. it also has a lot of heart, so you might not. :wacky:

spud, I think there's something of a statute of limitations on the need for spoilers. And a 16 year old movie is well beyond that limit. :lol:

I thought it was a good movie. one of the better king movies. generally speaking, his horror stuff is bad (ok, carrie had its moments and then there's shining, but maximum overdrive, sleepers, etc.). 'course, the other stuff is getting a bit much now too...like hearts in atlantis and green mile.

anyway, princess bride isn't brilliant because of anything reiner did. it so happens that the "soundstage" feel of his movies works cuz it's actually appropriate for PB - the whole movie is a running joke at its own expense. whether that feel is by accident or not is immaterial to me. the casting worked very well (not that many of the roles demanded a lot of range), and there's an amazing congruity (despite the many difference) in the conceit of the movie to that of the book. goldman adapted it, and adapted it very very well.

watches smallville 100th episode where someone dies. it was prolly the worst ep of the season cuz its whole point was to kill someone off and the audience knows it and the show knows the audience knows it. so the plot is just a bunch of "who's it gonna be?" skits between commercials.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General