The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:48 pm

I'm good with it the way it is. the sequel had a nice premise: the whole being forgotten thing. and it wasn't the original, but it was decent and, like I said, had a pretty solid footing in terms of "let's do a sequel" sort of stuff.

the trip to hell thing makes about as much sense as t3 (t2 makes sense because - although it makes no sense :wacky: - it has something to add to the mythology in terms of fate and the whole bladerunner human/robot dichotomy whereas t3 was such a transparent attempt to capitalize on the franchise, it was, for me, like A4 for spud)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:48 am

yeah gb3 in hell would be kinda like bill & ted going to hell and who would be stupid enough to make tha.... what? they did? when? hmmm send the boys round there... oh and send in some coffee, thankyou joanne....... now then mr dinky as i was saying, gb3 in hell would make no sense whatsoever

although in the real ghostbusters cartoon (LISTEN RELEASE IT ON DVD IN SEASON BOXSETS YOU CORPORATE FATCATS) in a couple of eps they went to hell (or a hell like dimension anyway) but in the half hour cartoon that worked but i dont think for a real life film it would
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:52 pm

24</i>. 3-4th hours.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:07 pm

10th/11th ep of ducktales s1.

such a better show than anything people push these days, and I'm really not sure why. every ep is only VERY loosely connected with every other. the shifts in relationships between characters changes drastically depending on the ep. animation is nothing to write home about. entire show is nonsensical. but each ep feels like it has a purpose (purposiveness without purpose? - fuckin' philosoph!). yet I easily rate it my fave cartoon of all time. transformers, btw, doesn't hold up nearly as well with repeat viewings. in fact, I thought it seemed kinda gay when I tried to go all retro and watch s1. not nearly as gay as the armada-ish stuff today, but....
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:13 pm

thats coz duck tales rules man
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:08 am

just watched fantastic 4, it was ok, better then hulk (as if thats saying much) but it was less then fantastic, jessica alba stripping was probably the best part :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:54 am

except for being INVISIBLE

watched hostage. enjoyed.

watching stateside. prolly turn it off.

more ducktales s1 disc2.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:52 am

Watched the Ninth Gate, I really love that film. Going to have to check out Oliver Twist. Roman Polanski seems like a director that always serves his audience and makes decent films. Many director's have bowed down to over modernising their approach and the films aren't as good as a result. Whilst his later films do seem modern, there's also something like about them that seem like its very traditionally edited and made.

As for the movie it self, nice plot and well I just like it. There's something about film like this that I love, hard to bin point but its just enoyable to watch them. In many ways I'm reminded of movies like In the Mouth of Madness (not that they are alike), perhaps its the "normal guy investingating xyz and gets slowly sucked into it" premise I enjoy?

I suspect everyone's seen the ninth gate, if not, take a look. Like all Polanski movies, very solid direction, appealing story and there's some appealing acting.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:30 am

dinky wrote:except for being INVISIBLE

watched hostage. enjoyed.

more ducktales s1 disc2.

1. she comes back to visibility when shes down to her skimpies lol

2. hostage is that one with bruce willis isnt it? yeah i enjoyed that too

3. deleted coz ive never heard of it

4. duck tales rules :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:54 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:I suspect everyone's seen the ninth gate, if not, take a look. Like all Polanski movies, very solid direction, appealing story and there's some appealing acting.

thought it was a potentially good story that got real stupid/boring/uninteresting. not even hot naked chic could make it appealing. didn't realize it was polanski.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:49 pm

dinky wrote:
spudthedestroyer wrote:I suspect everyone's seen the ninth gate, if not, take a look. Like all Polanski movies, very solid direction, appealing story and there's some appealing acting.

thought it was a potentially good story that got real stupid/boring/uninteresting. not even hot naked chic could make it appealing. didn't realize it was polanski.

actually ive never seen it, i always meant to then just... never got round to it, then forgot about it as time passed
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:28 pm

dinky wrote:

I like plodding mysteries though, its why i like In the Mouth of Madness even though a lot of people would say the same about that.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't notice it was polanski, you can spot the camera shots and setups of his from a mile off, or at least i can but i enjoy a lot of his movies (Fearless Vampire Killers is brilliant) so maybe its just me.

When you watched it you can see its constructed like an old time movie, traditional scene editing, etc. which is a refreshing change to the mtv style slash and cut movies.

Ninth Gate is ripped off a tad by cigerrette burns in masters of horrors, which is why i decided to rewatch it now if anyone was wondering.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:33 am

I find it difficult to believe that 9th gate wasn't a ripoff of something else. the scene in the ruins did kinda have a 70s feel to it...which I found kinda silly.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:39 am

I liked 9th gate. I really liked the to "children" that hung around the church. They could have made the movie about them I think... but I love the fact that taht cool tipbit was only a side show. Has anyone seen Oliver Twist yet? Polanski did that as well didn't he?
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 am

not yet, i'm downloading the nice fh rip of it. Polanski did indeed do that, he's a very active and great director imo.

Films by him you'll have/may have heard of:
Oliver Twist (2005)
The Pianist (2002)
The Ninth Gate (1999)
Chinatown (1974)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
Repulsion (1965)

I've not seen pirates though, lol, i recall hearing it sucked, but although he's done some not so good films, they are generally very watchable.

lol @ all the sex jokes at his expense. That bit with Stewie where he's tied up that kid in Family Guy is awesome:

Stewie: We're playing house...
Lois: That boy is all tied up.
Stewie: Roman Polanski's house

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 am

:lol: i remember that stewie quote, its a good 'un

i've seen chinatown, rosemarys baby and fearless vampire killers but never realised he did them, but back years ago when i saw them when i was little i didnt really care either, chinatown was the best of the 3 i recall
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:18 am

yeah. I think that was in heir max's sig for a while, wasn't it? liked rosemary's & chinatown. saw macbeth too. don't recall thinking much of it.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:19 am

and yes i think it was in my sig for a while thinking about it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:46 am

Fearless Vampire Killers is really beautiful, got some brilliant visuals and establishing shots. If you like setpieces its a good movie to watch.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 am

Man you forgot to list the Tenent!!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074811/

Check it out if you havn't seen it well woth a download... one of his best flicks imo
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to General