The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:35 pm

we dont, if we want a sandwich we just say "eee by gum i'm feeling a bit peckish, think i'll make meself a sandwich" which can translate into anything with bread and filling
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:08 am

LOL! bacon butty motherfucker

french baguette, yeah i would call it that rather than a sub. sub seems exceptionally gay terminology to me, unnatural and doesn;t really describe anything. i would never say it.

weird the english language divide, some stuff is just wrong in england. a chip meaning a crisp is just fucked up, i just shut down trying understand wtf ? :lol:

weird but its true.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:11 am

chips/crisps don't bother me. although the brit division is more accurate for "crisps." but since the others are called fries, which is prolly more descriptive than "chips," I'm not in a rush to fix that anomaly. the funniest shit I've encountered though was when we hosted a buncha people from england (and holland) for a summer exchange program. when we went to the mall, there were these signs that read "no soliciting," which apparently means something like "no prostitution"...at least to the older brits. but here it's just "lawyer speak" for "no trying to harrass people by using our property to hawk jewlery or convert people to christ"...kinda like saying "collateral damage." and of course the "fanny pack" versus "bum bag." honestly, I think they both sound a bit gay. at least the US version has some resonance in britain though.

bleah. just got back from memoirs of a geisha</i>. it was alright. nothing more or less than it looks like on the previews. I wanted to see casanova, but it started later. hmm...oh yeah, bloodrayne was out too, but there's other more interesting stuff atm.

Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:42 pm

dinky wrote:chips/crisps don't bother me. although the brit division is more accurate for "crisps." but since the others are called fries, which is prolly more descriptive than "chips," I'm not in a rush to fix that anomaly. the funniest shit I've encountered though was when we hosted a buncha people from england (and holland) for a summer exchange program. when we went to the mall, there were these signs that read "no soliciting," which apparently means something like "no prostitution"...at least to the older brits. but here it's just "lawyer speak" for "no trying to harrass people by using our property to hawk jewlery or convert people to christ"...kinda like saying "collateral damage." and of course the "fanny pack" versus "bum bag." honestly, I think they both sound a bit gay. at least the US version has some resonance in britain though.

except dinkster we have crisps, fries and chips, crisps are what you call chips, fries are those things fast food places serve (french fries not freedom fries bush you retardo), and our chips are what you call steak chips, also on the subject of bum bags i guess it would make more sense as a fanny pack here because on a woman thats near where its worn :lol: , of course by that i mean the uk meaning of fanny ie vagina, not your meaning of fanny as in the arse, which really confused me the first time i saw it on some film when i was younger, thought i was gonna get to see some poontang :?

and to me soliciting would mean hookers too
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:25 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:and our chips are what you call steak chips

steak fries. although we do have "fish 'n' chips," which is always fried fish and french fries (sometimes steak fries - most restraunts only serve one or the other kind of fries). :lol:

new dead-donkey logo looks good and definitely fits the domain name a lot better than previous one (though I did like the zombie one). 8)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:34 pm

i loved the zombie one like a brother :cry:

just out of curiosity what slang do you use for things like condoms? we use Rubber Johnnys (part of a joke i had to explain to some americans on an irc chan)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:59 pm

"fish 'n' chips," which is always fried fish and french fries

do you mean fried and battered fish i take it?

french fries with battered fish is just weird :o
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:04 pm

it is isn't it spud, infact its like getting no scraps with a bag of chips, tantamount to treason, scraps are an essential part of the chip shop experience
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:36 pm

you mean "bits" surely? (as in battered left overs)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:50 pm

it could be fried and battered or breaded fish. the emphasis is on the frying.

the "classic" fish 'n' chips (as I've come to know it) is actually fried & battered fish (ala long john silvers/arthur treachers) and steak fries (no seasoning). so not to say that's it's an english dish. and they're most common in this form at drive-in type places, or those fish fry & ice cream joints that you eat outside. anyway, the use of "chips" is an interesting quirk, since it clearly refers to what we normally call fries.

edit: we do have those little battered "crisps" too...which seems to consist of fried batter? but that's not essential part of fish 'n' chips.
Last edited by dinky on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:18 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:you mean "bits" surely? (as in battered left overs)

lol and this where we find the regional discrepencys, as in lincolnshire they are known as scraps (the scraps left over from the batter), but i have heard them called Bits around neighbouring counties but yeah same thing "fish n chips wi' bits"

Dinky wrote:anyway, the use of "chips" is an interesting quirk, since it clearly refers to what we normally call fries

obviously an attempt by the company to look intelligent falling flat on its face like kate moss on an uneven pavement :lol:

anyway check out this bit of cool

maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:16 pm

mother$%^(#$!

universal hd is airing season 2.0 throughout january while sci-fi pumps out brand new eps. wtf!?!?

:evil:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:58 pm

dinky wrote:mother$%^(#$!

universal hd is airing season 2.0 throughout january while sci-fi pumps out brand new eps. wtf!?!?

:evil:

while i have absolutely no clue of what show your referring im gonna go out on a limb and guess, as its you, bsg?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Battlestar Gallactica obviously. scifi = universal owned, season 2.0 = first dvd boxset of bsg :)

I watched the The Triangle mini-series. It was a tad silly and totally over the top sfx for what it was, but it was entertaining and was worth the watch. Plus it had sam neill in it (that always makes me laugh, the big australian goon :lol:) :wacky:

Sam Neill rules... it also had that man that turns into water in X-men. ironically he drowns, maybe he's just not very lucky? :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:46 pm

we actually got a US (NTSC) release of season one from UK (some BestBuy special). Then a few months later, they released the official US version. Then on dec. 20, season two (called 2.0 for some reason) hit store shelves.

not sure what you mean by first box set, cuz I thought the BestBuy thing was your first boxed set.

watched...something. can't remember. it was on tv.

edit: ooh! I saved the hd feeds of AoD and Andromeda Strain to my dvr. the former will remain there FOREVER (or until I get my hands on a component video input card)
:twisted:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:42 pm

first box set of series 2 i was referring to.
They've gayed up the releases. They've done it with lost too. Total scam.

We don't have HD over here yet as far as i'm aware. :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:53 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:first box set of series 2 i was referring to.
They've gayed up the releases. They've done it with lost too. Total scam.

We don't have HD over here yet as far as i'm aware. :(

when you say gayed up do you mean started doing that gayness of releasing half a season on 4 or 5 discs for the same price as a normal full season then releasing the other half at an also extortionate price so u end up getting 1 season for the price of 2?

and with regards to hdtv i think its being phased in over the course of the next year or 2
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:41 am

casanova</i>. it was good. if you're familiar with dangerous beauty</i>, it's more or less that premise done for shits and giggles. it's also just like the preview, so I'm sure you'd all hate it, and I'm wasting my breath. :wacky:

ps - I have some funky adblock and noscript ff plug-ins, so maybe it's just me, but here goes: can anyone else see the emoticons? all I see is text like "very happy" "smile" "sad" etc.

and yes, I have enabled dd as a trusted site with noscript. still got no clue how to use adblock, but it was working fine before. :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:20 am

i dont see the emoticons either i just see writing along the bottom line and small boxes in the messages, i presume they are broken
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:32 pm

ah. good...er...hmm. heh

watched latest BSG ep. good stuff.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General