The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:44 am

pride and prejudice</i> (2005). was decent. keira...lots of keira. umm...movie was decent. I liken it to the sense and sensibility</i> with alan rickman and emma thompson. not a fan. laughed a few times when I heard people behind me actually crying at certain moments that were more comical than anything else. oh! there were these two great moments:

this rich snobby guy is being extra snobbish and using all these highly latinate, very aristocratic british adjective to describe one thing or another during this sort of linguistic dual. Even I needed a frackin' dictionary to keep up. I couldn't help it, I blurted out "truly, you have a dizzying intellect"

and then 30 minutes later, judy dench appears (it's an historical film set in england, of course she must needs make an appearance!), and keira says something along the lines of "to what do I owe your visit?" or "who are you to ask that of me?" and dench snaps "hush. I'm no one to be triffled with. that's all you need know!" I almost fell out of my seat laughing. I wanted to shout: "I know who you are! your cruelty reveals everything! you're the dread wench roberts!"

ah...good times. good times. :lol:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:47 am

is there a release? my mums been bugging me for that and i keep telling her if it doesn't have explosions, no one on the internet gives a crap about it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:52 am

it would probably be more productive if you just got some pics of her (keira knightley that is not spuds mum) off the net and cracked one off, would save you the hassle of sitting through utter walrus dribble for probably 2 hours, the only costume bollocks thing ive ever seen all the way through was moll flanders with alex kingston and thats probably because at the time i was about 12 and she got her knockers out a lot :lol: of course im more grown up now...... /me runs to set the vcr for eurotrash :lol: :lol: :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jynks on Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:36 am

is there a release? my mums been bugging me for that and i keep telling her if it doesn't have explosions, no one on the internet gives a crap about it.

HAHAHAHAAHH

ed2k: Pride.and.Prejudice.2005.(Fc).Cam.(1of2).avi  [257.55 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Pride.and.Prejudice.2005.(Fc).Cam.(2of2).avi  [254.00 Mb] [Stats]

ed2k: Pride.and.Prejudice.CD1.bin  [805.64 Mb] [Stats]
ed2k: Pride.And.Prejudice.CD2.bin  [805.09 Mb] [Stats]

[ Add all 4 links to your ed2k client ]
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:32 am

:o @spud's mom. I like keira's inane drivel. and motion is good. besides, I had fun.

now onto business: watched the penultimate ep of rome</i>
Spoiler:
dude! they ARE going to kill caesar off this season - shakespeare style. it really is gonna have to be a practically brand new cast next season!
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby potmunky on Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:38 am

Cheers for the PnP links, Jynks! Keeps the wife off me back for a little while longer! Whats the quality on the two .bin files?
:beerchug:
potmunky
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby Jynks on Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:59 pm

I think they are cams.

I just recently watched the Space race set of docos, Space race @ scifi donkey It is a FANTASTIC doco series. I loved it. It is done as a dramatic recreation with a lot of classical doco voice over. It is simply a great show.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:43 pm

just watched sky high, pretty much due to the fact bruce campbells in it as coach boomer, typical brucie role really these days, although ive noticed hes appearing in a few more mainstream films these days, lets hope he doesnt sell out
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:09 pm

OH GOD NO, i just found out peter "i used to make good films then became completely retarded" jackson is making Halo - The Movie :-o :-o :-o why??? why cant they jsut stop????
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:18 pm

regardless of whether you liked or hated the LotR movies, do you honestly believe he was selling out to make them? Have you ever read them? cuz I could almost understand anything but "sellout." And excepting the oscar winning (best film of the year, ironically) return of the king, I'd say they were about as 'true' as any movie version could ever have been. and while I'm on it, yes, the green frighteners were all his fault, but the 5 million endings was actually sacrificing watchability for love of the (extremely non-movie-friendly-source).

as for King Kong, iunno why in the hell anyone</i> would wanna make that movie. I never liked the story. He jumped on it at a point in time where he could have done just about anything.

finally, he has a hell of a lot more potential for directing an entertaining (maybe even good!) movie than uwe bolle or paul "what shit!" anderson.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:32 pm

i hate the films, i hate the book, i hate the whole bollocking thing, so yes i do hate him for making them :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:02 am

if you hate LOTR the book then you may as well be saying you hate the Iliad, The Odyssey, or books in general. LOTR is simply the greatest work of litriture of the 20C. People will be studying it in a 1000 years. Your comments are just purile knee jerk bullshit said for the sake of speaking. Remember that LOTR is just the tip of the ice berg of the work that Tolkien produced. His works are like a fractal, the more you study it the deeper it goes there isn't a single point in any of his works that you can not trace further and further back. It is a amazing achivment, one only been equaled by a few aothers in the entire span of human civilisation. There is a reason that you can get PHDs in JUST his writings you know.

Try having a flick through the The Encyclopedia of Arda they are trying to make a easy to read hyperlink encyclopedia of the works. Even though they have bearly scratched the surface, there is already have a INDEX of over 5000 enterys.

Have a flick though it amazing stuff.

@Dinky
I liked the movies though they changed so much stuff that broke much of the points made by Tolkien. The worst was the scouring of the shire) witch was completly lost from the film version) and the interception of the ring by Faramir, witch was completly changed and thus totaly fucks up both the geography of the journey but also the implications of the state of the power of men. For is if Faramir that is the only creature on middle earth that could resiste the ring. There are of cource zillions of other chnages, things added (like the possesion of Théoden for example) but those are the ones that bugged me the most.
Last edited by Jynks on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:08 am

Watched Phantasm 2, reminds me of LOTR for a lot of it... lets run about to random places as though people care! :lol: Phantasm 2 is cool though, LOTR is just, well that's okay too i guess.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:12 am

Phantasm 2!!! Wicked.... I seam to recall a big lack in decent rips of the Phantasam sries :)
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:19 am

Jynks wrote:if you hate LOTR the book then you may as well be saying you hate the Iliad, The Odyssey, or books in general. LOTR is simply the greatest work of litriture of the 20C. People will be studying it in a 1000 years. Your comments are just purile knee jerk bullshit said for the sake of speaking.

or maybe i just dont like that kinda thing and you just cant accept it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:45 am

Jynks wrote:Phantasm 2!!! Wicked.... I seam to recall a big lack in decent rips of the Phantasam sries :)

well if there's no on nfo, there's no reason why i can't do all of them.

I just bought this if you were wondering:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic. ... t=phantasm

Very good buy, new transfers of all the movies, phantasm 3 is uncut, and they all have proper AR and all.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:23 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:
Jynks wrote:if you hate LOTR the book then you may as well be saying you hate the Iliad, The Odyssey, or books in general. LOTR is simply the greatest work of litriture of the 20C. People will be studying it in a 1000 years. Your comments are just purile knee jerk bullshit said for the sake of speaking.

or maybe i just dont like that kinda thing and you just cant accept it

ok. I don't like ice cream. you do. you sellout. :lol:

jynks, I said "true," not accurate. I'm told the first harry potter is incredibly accurate. it also happens to be the worst, followed by the second most accurate, its sequel. yes, there were a thousand little changes and there is a logistical problem with frodo's journey when faramir brings him to osgiliath. however, it's worth pointing out that aragorn "resisted" the ring as did legolas, gimli, sam, etc. hell, sam even put the thing on in mordor in the book, which is a REAL incongruity since the second someone puts it on, there's a flashing red light for the wraiths and sauron. anyway, what I meant was that he faithfully realized the books in a dfferent age and medium (it's kind of in vogue to talk about the effects of translation on a "text" and its "readers" - end result is that it's always</i> going to be different). you can argue individual little choices (frodo's apparent age, etc.) but that doesn't mean it's not faithful. frankly, I thought the elves in helms deep were perfectly natural - although I wouldn't have excluded the rangers. but those are such insigificant hoices in the grand scheme, and they really come down to individual taste (the shire on fire, btw, was kinda silly as were the last 100 pages of the text, and their only plausible literary value is that they're following the formulaic conventions of the epic tradition [like having a chorus in a tragedy]). and I wouldn't call tolkien the greatest auther of the century by any means. he wrote a fanboy story. yeah, it's great and love it and all that, but it's a conscious copy/hommage of what came before. and it's not particularly well written either; the man is a passable writer but it's the other stuff, the incredibly detailed mythology, that makes the writing bearable at times.

now you wanna see some cruel butchery of similar material, watch Troy</i>. They reduced the mythology to a modern day pseudo-marxist parable then tacked on a fundamentally WRONG dish-ran-away-with-the-spoon-happy-ending that completely betrays the spirit of not only the iliad, but the entire 1000+ years of greek mythology of which it is the most significant part.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:50 am

@spud Wow spud.. that is one of the coolest box sets I have seen in ages... where did you score that? I should start reading more of the HHAH pages :)

@dinky Fanboy story!! lol. I think you have it backwards mate. It is so good that it produces fans...

Every single character in the story is unable to resist the rings evil. Even all the members of the fellowship. Sam in fact is the cause of evil surviving in middle earth as he is so corrupted by the ring that Morgoths taint survives. He should have gone on the boat with Frodo.

Do not get me wrong I liked the films but I just think that they had some major problems, still they were fairly accurate. I mean I understand the arguments of making a real "EYE" sitting on top of a tower like a lighthouse, rather than Sauron having a body simular to Gandalf, and a host of other changes. Put simply, it makes good cinema.

only plausible literary value is that they're following the formulaic conventions of the epic tradition

You have this backwards as well. In all the epic poems that have been recorded, they all have a simular vein. Witch is reflected by the state of technology in the world. ALL and I mean ALL myths of the epic quest have one thing in common. To find and bring home some kind of artefact. (Technology) Tolkiens work, one of its many traits that marks it as a update, a "marker" if you will is the fact that it is about people trying to REMOVE a artefact, it uninvented something. While it has been compared to the Pandora Box myth I feel that the comparison is flawed.

(the shire on fire, btw, was kinda silly as were the last 100 pages of the text, and their only plausible literary value is that they're following the formulaic conventions of the epic tradition

The Shire is one of the most "modern" and relatable parts of the entire book to reality. Saruman looses all his power except the voice. The ability o sway people. An obvious parable to politicians and the idea that willingness of the populace to follow the power hungry is the true weakness. For with out the people to follow them and do there bidding they having nothing. Hence wormtounge’s betrayal.

@Max. I am not saying you should like the books. Though I do think they deserve respect. Dinky himself said
now you wanna see some cruel butchery of similar material, watch Troy
The Illiad is also one of the most epic and surviving pieces of literature ever written…. That’s pretty good company.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:57 am

never read the iliad, but i have seen troy, i now have no desire to ever do anything ever again :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby ScarletJester on Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:33 pm

Hello I am really new to the site, but I'd just like to say a few things.

Dinky said "I am Dinky, and I watched Pride & Prejudice".
40 Year Old Virgin Fans say "You know how we know you're gay??" :)

About the whole Lord of the Rings thing. I enjoy the books, I really enjoyed the cartoon, I am really luke-warm about the films. I don't care whether they're "true to the books" or whatever, I just thought they were boring and unemotional. A bit more on the books: I disagree that they're the "greatest work of literature of the 20C". They might be the greatest work of fantasy world creation, but as for good literature or story, even within just the fantasy genre there was better written before and after in this century; eg The Worm Oroborous by Eddison or The Well and the Unicorn by Pratt for pre-Tolkien, anything by Gene Wolfe or Jack Vance for post-Tolkien (particularly Wolfe's Wizard Knight or XXX Sun books, or Vance's Dying Earth or Lyonesse). Grendel by John Gardner is much more powerful than LotR, and Gardner manages to pull this off in just over 150 pages.
I still think they're fantastic books though. I end up always crying at certain bits in them (thats how you know *I'm* gay :D), but they also have parts which are just terribly boring. The main problem though is that there is no sex and everyone is always stopping for tea.

As for films I've watched recently, I saw Straight Into Darkness, which I really enjoyed. There was something really disturbing about the girl in the featureless face-mask running around with a machine-gun.
I also watched a load of those old B&W Val Lewton horror film like The Body Snatcher, The Ghost Ship, I Walked With a Zombie etc. They were OKish, the only one I kept being Dracula's Daughter.
I also watched the 3rd series of Knightmare (go Dungeoneers!) which was really fun :). It was kind of boring when I was a kid, no matter how much I was in to fantasy books and roleplaying, but now its just hilarious with how stupid and geeky some of the kids are. I tried to watch the 4th series but thats when everything went downhill, with the lame eye-shield and walking around that castle instead of being in the dungeon.

Currently, my top 3 films I've seen this year (even though they're older) have been:

Dead Man's Shoes
The Navigator - A Medieval Odyssey
Primer

So 1 drama/thriller, 1 fantasy, and 1 sci-fi.
No horror unfortunately, but The Collingswood Story or Devil's Rejects were close, and Possible Worlds for sci-fi.

BTW, is Rome worth it in the end? I watched half of the pilot and was put off by the pointless soft porn scenes.

PS Sorry for writing so much in my first post when I don't know anybody.
ScarletJester
Skutter

PreviousNext

Return to General