The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:42 pm

also got my AoE III collectors edition boxset today, really good set too, the making of dvd, soundtrack cd (all in proper boxes), the game (obv), a massive aoe3 artwork poster, and a massive hardback book explaining everything done in teh game, and the artwork, storys, historical features etc, a playing guide, and a demo cd to share with a friend (if you so wish) really great set for a really great price (£35)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 pm

so much for fragpuss2409, then. AoE III is in da hizzy! heh

just watched Ma Mère</i> (2004). All ah gots ta say is Emma de Caunes is totally fecking hot, and the rest of the movie is incomprehensible. It's difficult to tell who you're supposed to care about (if anyone) but there's way more skin than swimming pool</i>, so that was a plus. unfortunately, it was a lot more difficult to follow...or care about following.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:33 pm

emma de caunes not daughter of antoine de caunes from eurotrash?

in the back of the artwork book for aoe3 theres a hint towards aoe 4 and 5 aswell, theres a pic of aoe 1-3 and then another after it saying Age 4 and has a pic of a ww2 soldier then age 5 with a pic of some sort of futuristicy soldier looking similar to the post information age scouts in rise of nations
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby karstmobile on Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:22 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:Here in lies the problem, he's totally incapable of acting therefore he's totally incapable of playing a role. I've got nothing against him, he just quite clearly has no ability to act.

Luckily for him he's survived in movies that he could do without this basic ability.

As for a place, I dunno i'm sure he's got some talents, but one of them is not acting. I'm sure he could do well as a cheif executive in some insurance company or something.

Whether he's suited the role in bill and ted is besides the point because those movies were f*cking dreadful. Seriously, highlander dreadful.

Yep, that sounds about right, but there is an audience for him. Not sure what type of people are pulled-in by him though. :wacky:
Here's one for you... could he play himself in a movie? :lol:

spudthedestroyer wrote:I know "oh but they came from the 80s and were famous"... yeah who cares, so was highlander. They suck. They were never good, because they happened in the past does not make them good, grow up! :lol:
:mrgreen:

I enjoy the fact that there are always movies coming out of the past that were trash when they were first released but now hold a new unintentional entertainment value. Some of the funniest movies I've seen are dead serious movies from the 60's, 70's. But there are limits and not by default.

Been looking for something to replace Carnivale (RIP), and seems like everyone likes Rome, so might try to pick that up. I strongly suggest not going anywhere near Lost... :evil:
karstmobile
the Angry Klingon

Location: Outside of the Discovery One waiting for HAL to open the damn pod bay doors...

Postby dinky on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:24 am

Touki Bouki</i> (1973). bleah. there was some heavy handed imagery having to do with sacrifice and "modernity." around that, there's the actual movie, which I found only loosely connected. watched it as part of an african film series. saw snippets from another film that was far more appealing. will try to get me hands on that instead.

title means something like "path of the hyena"
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:21 pm

Here's one for you... could he play himself in a movie?

As funny as it sounds, no i don't think he has that capability.

He's one of those bad actors that you know instantly he's acting. His voice changes and his actions come all fake and woody. He just sucks everything out of the scene.

I don't think he has the frame of mind to act as himself on screen, I'm pretty sure his voice will change to 'acting mode' and he'll become all wooden.

Funny question though, but it make you wonder.

@as for rome vs carnivale, not gonna happen, rome is a drama and a by the books drama (albeit a lot more primitive and sexual than most). There's not going to be any mystery.

Personally, lost is a tad dumb, but its not the anti-christ or anything.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:07 pm

loads of people i know practically bum lost, which is why i give it a wider berth then a pregnant essex girl in labour (uk chaps with a sense of humour should get that joke)

its funny i was just on the phone to a girl from work and she got onto talking about constantine and i instantly blasted the shit out of it and him and she sprung to his defense with typical female lines like "oooh leave him alone hes lovely" and "aaww dont be so cruel he was good in that surfing film....point break" :o but she is a ditzy blonde so i guess she has an excuse.... oh wait shes female thats excuse enough as they dont have any form of movie related brains :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:49 pm

other than the intro and being on hbo, I don't see any connection to carnivale whatsoever. rome is a lot closer to sopranos (follow the pseudo-bad guys who do things that are "bad" but care for them anyway). and even that seems silly to place something so new and untested as rome up against something like sopranos. it is, however, a quality show to watch on sunday night. and hbo has a habit of parsing them out one at a time throughout the year.

at the rate the series is moving, octavian is going to be chasing down marc antony by episode 3 of season two. and there will be a virtually brand new cast (the current crop having been killed off during the second triumverate)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby karstmobile on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:12 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:... as for rome vs carnivale, not gonna happen, rome is a drama and a by the books drama (albeit a lot more primitive and sexual than most). There's not going to be any mystery.

I don't know then... i'll give a ep or two a try...

spudthedestroyer wrote:Personally, lost is a tad dumb, but its not the anti-christ or anything.

Are you sure?... it draws you in, whispers promises in your ear, then after you are committed... you realize you are watching a damn prime time soap opera. :P

dinky wrote:I don't see any connection to carnivale whatsoever.

Ah, doesn't have to be even remotely similar. I enjoy keeping up with a series or two, as long as it has quality, and I don't have one at the moment. All the ones I like die an early death.
karstmobile
the Angry Klingon

Location: Outside of the Discovery One waiting for HAL to open the damn pod bay doors...

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:52 pm

production value wise you can tell its a hbo show, just like carnivale and sopranos. They are channel that try and aim well beyond other stations, and often succeed.

Must be the bbc influence of course :wacky: That's a good thing about rome, notice all the actors they shipped out?

Reminds me of monty python with all the roman soldiers speaking like bobbys.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:37 am

Are you sure?... it draws you in, whispers promises in your ear, then after you are committed... you realize you are watching a damn prime time soap opera

HAHAHAHAHAAH cloassic <wipes eyes>

Rome is pretty good, I have only watched up to ep 4 but have got it uptodate in my to watch directory.. will get round to it soon. The thing about Rome that I really like is that I am a bit of a history fan and love all the political stuff in the show.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:08 am

about Rome that I really like is that I am a bit of a history fan and love all the political stuff in the show.

Surely you should hate because of the millions of highlighted inaccuracies... I've read about events happening in the wrong year, in the wrong country and people being quite clearly alive when they should be dead.

If by history you mean interpretations of what it was like in ye old times, yes that's quite a cool thing about the series :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 am

considering all the history they cover, it is pretty darn accurate. bear in mind that dates are only good within 2 years and most of the personal "historical" information is anecdotal hearsay from variant (and at odds) sources. anyway, I thought it was cool that they killed off vercingetorix (king of the gauls) for caesar's triumph. he was captured (obviously) while in Gaul but wasn't put to death until caesar took control of the rempire. anyway...jonathan stamp (I think) is the historical consultant, and he's dependable. you can't expect the shit with octavia (or any of the women except maybe cleopatra) to be remotely accurate cuz we really don't have any info on them to begin with. plus, with the speed this series moves (2 years between two eps), what kinda fuckin' geek goes around loggin' historical inaccuracies to begin with? :lol:

btw: they're doing a fantastic job with octavian. you can really see him becoming this conservative throwback emperor (because it's a shrewd political move for a brand-spankin'-new, usurper/emperor).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 am

I agree with dinky here.. the show might not be 100% like history but it is pretty close. There is a lot that reads strait out of my history books. Of course there is a lot that dosn't but all in all I think it is pretty good. Kinda like deadwood.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

I'm not even a history buff, infact as far as studies go its mostly been 20th century, that said, i was pretty sure Scipio should have been dead by episode 9. :lol: Must have been taking his vitimins :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:26 pm

ahh, I have only seen up to ep 4
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:09 pm

sorry...whenever someone mentions scipio, all I can think of is scipio africanus. are we talking about cicero? no. ep1 lists them as dif characters.

ah. yes. finally. right. he escaped thapsus and outlived cato's suicide, but was killed in a naval battle before caesar returned to rome. played by paul jesson. only url I could find looks like the guy who quickly followed cato's suicide/funeral with one of his own. weird cuz the episode summary on the official site says..
ep10 \"triumph\" wrote:As the senate gathers to sanction Caesar as emperor, Scipio and Brutus put honor aside and stand in support the man they once fought, urging their fellow senators to follow them.

now I specifically remember brutus and cicero capitulating. so this must be some other scipio, but I can't for the life of me recall anyone else doing what brutus & cicero did on the show.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:19 am

Les Sanguinaires</i> (1997)
not as good as ma mère</i> (no sex) but less painful to watch (only 57 minutes). watching francophone films for extra credit in french class (in case you're wondering wtf?). it's kind of a distopian story, but it really has little discernable direction/theme. either I didn't get it or it was just not very good. I'm going with option B, bob.

picked-up battlefront 2 and evil dead: regeneration. battlefront would be a lot more fun if I didn't have to inch around like an infant in a walker with the fecking mouse & keyboard. knew I shoulda gone with the console version....
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:25 am

be some other scipio

lol, yeah well there are fourteen million people all with the same name. I suppose they thought it works.

battlefront 2

Dude, bothan spies!
http://www.bothanspies.com

The consoles version is so much shitter than the pc version, it sounds like you just suck at it :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Tuco on Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:22 am

Blade Runner wrote:I'm watching 'Close Encounters of the Third kind' for the 100th time and still dont get bored of it.

just watched an ep of "surface" so...um...yeah...guess I've just been watching close encounters myself :D
Tuco
Red Shirted Trekker

PreviousNext

Return to General