The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:50 pm

chevy chase, dan akroyd, john candy, demi moore...Nothing But Trouble (1991)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 pm

ooooh that one, john candys usually in great films, but i guess everyone makes a turkey
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:06 pm

so spud...what do you think about the assertion that x-files went awry when it put the aliens out in the open, so to speak?

Well actually Series 8 was not bad and that's where it happened, there's some great episodes in there, and the initial super soldier episodes were well done (and they spent the budget making them look like films, whereas in series 9, it looks really cheap).

Series 9 just didn't have anything going for it, all the mythology episodes were really cheesy, they relied on CGI to tell stories, or rather so the audience instead of suggesting to the audience and other such fatal flaws. I think it was a mixture of really bad writing, and self-indulgence that screwed it up in the end.

I still by the idea that it was the mythology that got the best of the series, because its quite clear they had no idea where it was going in the begining, and although they got it to work most series, it came to be that they lost the plot in the end.

They made a series of fatal mistakes, killing off people they never should have (or it would seem, the last episode was really cheesy... that's not how it should have ended, with flashbacks and shit... should have ended with a really big bang).

It wasn't so much the aliens that killed it, it was saying of no its a government conspiracy and downplaying the aliens to a degree where they didn't really appear towards the end. The super soldiers, after all, were man made and this was all what it was about in the end. Sure they were hybrids, but the aliens just dissappeared in the end.

So I think the writing, producers and everyone lost the plot, or what little plot there was. Still the episode with God in was good and the odd standalone in the last series were okay.

I would never have ended it like that, I think a lot of series 9 was a big creative mistake, self indulgence if anything, but the problem with that is no one can possibly like that tripe since when a director/writer is over the top or self indulgent in this way, the shows are normally crappy and whilst the director thinks its great, its a shallow piece of work thats totally subjective (The George Lucas effect).

Now i've seen them all, its a shame people started to tune out, because a lot of the best episodes are in series 6, 7 and 8. As far as the mythology episodes go, they were far better early on.

And what was the biggest mistake of all? No Mulder! They should have cut the cgi budget and put it on paying his fee. Okay he asked for a lot of money, but the show dwindled without him in it given that he pretty much was the xfiles. That's not a dig at Doggart et al., they were all pretty good charaters, but the xfiles was all about mulder, his character gave the show focus.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:02 pm

I still rate X-files as a top show.. was this your first run though it spud? You seam to place a lot of stock in the "myth" eps.... but they went no where and once you have seen the show a few times then they just become evern worse and worse. I rekon it is the "monster of the week" eps that rule that series.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:01 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:That's not a dig at Doggart et al., they were all pretty good charaters, but the xfiles was all about mulder, his character gave the show focus.

yeah. I haven't even seen a third of the 9 season series, but EVERY ep I saw was mulder-driven. everyone kinda reacts to his intuitions and such.

Jynks wrote:I rekon it is the "monster of the week" eps that rule that series.

I really never had a problem with those kinds of shows (crypt</i>, dark side</i>, amazing stories</i>, etc.), but the prevailing idea among american execs, at least, is that they kill audience interest in the series. personally, I thought it was the best and most original thing about smallville</i> throughout season 1 - people bitched and moaned about "freak of the week" eps, so they turned it into yet-another-disposable-teeny-soap. buffy</i> and angel</i> suffered similar backlash (this is from people who are already fans of the show, I remind you). iunno. obviously a good series needs to find some balance between the two.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:54 pm

i think you'll find thats due to joss wheadon being an arse faced babboon :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:56 pm

go away, little don-kay.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 pm

lol, every show needs a hook, without one your just Star Trek... and i hate star trek.

All hail B5.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 pm

u love star trek gay ass 9 remember :lol: incidently i find it hilarious that sulu is gay, so funny in fact i created a little msn name about it "space the final FrontQueer, these are the voyages of the arseship Benterprise"
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:51 am

err, how did you deduce that you feculant piece of knob cheese? I believe I've never so much as stated star trek as being anything other than dire.

Don't joke about that shit, not cool... :matrix:

:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:18 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:Don't joke about that shit, not cool... :matrix:

:lol:

admit it. that was at least a little funny.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:25 am

actually i do remember u saying u thought dire shite 9 was your favourite, as we had a...... lets say "discussion" about which trek series was best (with others) back on sr and hhah forum, and you definately said bum spunk 9 was the best and i said it was the worst
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby potmunky on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:11 am

Erm, isnt this meant to be the 'last movie you saw' thread!? :wacky:
I saw Immortal last night. Bonkers French CGi-fest about ancient Egyptian Gods coming to Earth in the future, and exploding people they possess! :-o
Quite a quirky, head-bustin' flik! Very enjoyable and recomended!
:beerchug:
Pot
potmunky
Owns a Genesis Device

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:25 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:actually i do remember u saying u thought dire shite 9 was your favourite, as we had a...... lets say "discussion" about which trek series was best (with others) back on sr and hhah forum, and you definately said bum spunk 9 was the best and i said it was the worst

There a difference between best of a subset of shit series, and liking you plum. DS9 probably was probably the best of a pretty lousy set of shows, it certainly wasn't anywhere near as wank as voyager and entreprise which are beyond terrible

And this is soley because of:
a) Terry Farrell
b) Image

Check mate.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Get out of it... she is one of the worst things in ds9.. and that is saying somthing
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:01 pm

your kidding me right? Don't make her puzzle box your ass...

and speaking of DS9, it would have been a lot funnier if the captain was more like Shaft and went round pistol whipping people.

What was that douche that could change shape called? was there a sketch on family guy with him in it?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:21 pm

i think jynks was missing the whole "she snogged a woman" thing that i believe you were edging towards there spuddley

i always thought ti would be funnier if they replaced captain spacca with mr t, i pity the romulans, shuddup quark, hey klingon im gonna throw you sucka, forget the runabout were taking my van coz my van is FAST, or (talking to the food replicator) Gimme Milk Sucka!

and of course thousands of phasers being fired but never actually killing or hitting anyone

ps id give terry farrell use of my photon torpedo anyday :-o sounds too geeky EJECT EJECT
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:38 pm

incidently back on topic, finally got round to watching the last few eps of twilight zone 2002 last night, sunrise was pretty good, but the final episode was really lame, about an agoraphobic (sp?) whose a slum lord and he gets a guy to set them on fire so he can build a big apartment complex or something and the fire kills 2 young polish kids, who start haunting him. sounds better then it actually was, sunrise on the other hand was better then it sounds, a group of 5 friends (including the sexy blonde chick from black sash and final destination 2) who are taking part in an online gps treasure hunt and eend up in an aztec cave in northern mexico, there they dig up this aztec box with a cup filled with blood and then the blonde chick (being blonde) spills it and the sun instantly disappears from the entire world causing a new ice age, now luckily one fo the guys is majoring in history and archeology and translates the box to mean aslong as the blood stays in the cup the sun will never fall from the sky, then he realises the box also says the only way to bring the sun back is to sacrifice someone, straws are drawn, someone gets sacrificed, sun returns, but then they hear a radio broadcast about a low level special tail end of a comet or something cloud that passed close to earth causing the sun to be covered up so they wonder if they killed the person pointlessly or not
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:51 pm

potmunky wrote:Erm, isnt this meant to be the 'last movie you saw' thread!? :wacky:
I saw Immortal last night. Bonkers French CGi-fest about ancient Egyptian Gods coming to Earth in the future, and exploding people they possess! :-o
Quite a quirky, head-bustin' flik! Very enjoyable and recomended!
:beerchug:
Pot

cgi & live action. I actually bought the pos. waste of money. 100-level creative writing students write more engaging drivel (like an extra blah blah anne rice novel). girl looked good in blue though.

spudthedestroyer wrote:it certainly wasn't anywhere near as wank as voyager and entreprise which are beyond terrible

I thought enterprise</i> was far more (gulp) engaging than any of the next gen stuff and far superior to the worn out voyager</i>. I was actually interested in it. I hadn't been interested in a ST series since next gen</i>, and even then, I watched it cuz that's what came on after the disney afternoon and I was in the 8th frackin' grade.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:22 pm

LOL enterprise is shit, ds9 is shit, tng is a freakin soap opera, voyager is full of whores, tos is good in a comical sense, but u know what is good, a battle between trek nerds and wars geeks, bloodbath and they all deserve it for being sad little wankers
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General