The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:54 am

just watched "Whos' Harry Crumb?" was pretty funny, john candy was in some great films
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:28 am

I'm not sure the JLA actually fits into the continuity of the regular comics. I've always thought of it like the Ulitmate Spidey/X-men series...maybe a little more intergrated but not a whole lot more. in other words: a silly excuse to put all the superheros into one comic and bump up the popularity of a few marginals.

not that I followed DC comics much anyway.

batman begins</i>...again...again. but with friends this time!
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:40 am

i never said the jla fit in with continuity but as the justice league have their own "popular" cartoon at the moment then i guess thats why it was mentioned
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:24 pm

dinky, what the f*ck is a rebate? Yanks always jibber on and on, and on about rebates.

Here when you buy something, you kind of... you know pay for it and then own it. But as i understand it, you pay for it, then send a coupon away and get some money back? erm... why don't they just sell it at the lower price in the first place?

or is there some devious hidden gain that I'm not seeing?

I'm guessing there's no rating on the case because it seems to be that they are selling the same dvd by the same company across the whole of R2, there's a language selector for the menus thats pretty much every R2 country i could name easily. Very naughty there's no rating on the cover though.

I got the 2disc one, it was £11.99 or something and the 1disc was £9.99
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:09 pm

But as i understand it, you pay for it, then send a coupon away and get some money back?

its the jewish way, they make u pay more, then cartman turns up with his coupon and makes them hand over the jew gold from the little bag around their necks :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:13 pm

just watched Three O'Clock High, pretty good film, i still say all the best teen comedy movies were made in the 80s, todays are wank wank wankyty wank
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:22 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:dinky, what the f*ck is a rebate? Yanks always jibber on and on, and on about rebates.

Here when you buy something, you kind of... you know pay for it and then own it. But as i understand it, you pay for it, then send a coupon away and get some money back? erm... why don't they just sell it at the lower price in the first place?

I think you understand it perfectly well.

I think the idea is that it makes the consumer jump through hoops and therefore, many of them won't do it. it's clearly a ploy to combat piracy. part of that barebones disc release. and then you can get it at a reasonable price too ($9.99). all you have to do is mail in the rebate form, proof of purchase/upc code and a copy of the register receipt. of course, who the fuck wants to go through all that shit for a lousy $10 that you'll receive 1-5 months from now? I'm convinced they believe full well that people will buy the box cuz it really only costs $10, bottom line. but then when it comes time to get</i> to the bottom line, only about half the consumers actually follow through. meanwhile</i>, the store has actually charged $20 for the movie, which means not only do they keep the profits from those sales that don't send in rebates or fill out the forms incorrectly, but the government also gets twice as much sales tax because the offical point of sale price is $19.99 not $9.99.

or to say that all in a lot less words: yeah. it's a scam. like all coupons (e.g. grocery store or cereal boxes, etc.)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:54 pm

i dunno about all coupons, I got a coupon for a free massage :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:19 pm

spud that tokens from dinky, dont use it, it means free gay massage
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:53 am

Just saw DOOM... man wat can I say

Spoiler:
There are NO deamons. There is NO tomato monster, flaming skulls, cyber deamon... NO imp throwing fireballs... NO mention of hell crossing into our dimention... nothing... this isn't doom it is a CRAP rezident evil (eg a virus that mutates the humans into monsters).... BOO BOOO BOOO... once agin hollywood fucks us in the ass... JUST DO IT THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALY WRITTEN FOR FUCK SAKE!!!
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:56 am

Jynks wrote:JUST DO IT THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALY WRITTEN FOR FUCK SAKE!!!

:lol:

I'd settle for "just don't do it WORSE than it was originally written...ffs!" :D
first two eps of Gummi Bears (or did I already mention this? was couple days ago)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm

dinky wrote:first two eps of Gummi Bears (or did I already mention this? was couple days ago)

maybe you were just too embaressed 2 days ago to mention it and have plucked up some dutch courage :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:36 pm

nah. love da gummis. and ducktales. darkwing duck's ok too. aladdin was great. gargoyles was great. disney did some quality after school programming. s'not like pokemon, digimon, transformers armada/energon/etc., yugio and all the other pseudo-japanimation shite they're shoveling these days.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:41 pm

dinky wrote:nah. love da gummis. and ducktales. darkwing duck's ok too. aladdin was great. gargoyles was great. disney did some quality after school programming. s'not like pokemon, digimon, transformers armada/energon/etc., yugio and all the other pseudo-japanimation shite they're shoveling these days.

yes i too like ducktales and darkwing duck, i can watch gummi bears without vomiting but hated aladdin a tin and gargoyles, although talespin was another good one

i also feel so sorry for kids these days the "selection" (i use the word in its most flexible capacity) all they get is crap jap anime, and even crapper american anime, infact the only modern cartoon (anime ish style) i like is the new teenage mutant ninja turtles, and only other cartoons i like are drawn together, family guy, south park and the new captain scarlet (he always was better then blunderbirds), american dad is getting better after the first half of the first season was pretty poor. Must be the inclusion of patrick stewart in the latest season 1 eps that make it better (why do people think the new eps are season 2??? its like south park they took a break for a few months then finished the season)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:43 am

lol - those aren't exactly cartoons for kids.

forgot talespin. good call. ok. the strek trek the next generation gargoyles</i> aspect was cringe-worthy, but how could you not love badass goliath (david keith? keith david? I always get the two confused).

iunno. the comics fare started off really well in the 90s but it has gotten progressively dumber and more idiotic. teen titans I just cannot sit through, and the new batman, which looks a lot like the paul dini/bruce timm batman from the 90s call the batman</i> is just hoplessly bad and infantile in comparison. even the JLA series they did right after batman/superman was a sort of shallow reflection of the first two batman series and the superman one. I actually liked x-men evolution - prolly more than the 90s one. but neither could hold a candle to the batman/superman stuff though.

and yeah, what is it with trying to emulate anime in america? it seems (to me) like they take the worst aspects and throw away the good stuff. like the image and basic plot (sci-fi, post-apocalyptic stuff) on anime is usually great (in the way all sorts of video game adverts look killer in game mags). well they throw that shit out the window, along with the killer art and keep the Voltronish freeze-frame fight scenes and the asinine "yeeeeeeee-yiiiiiiiiih" screaming. wtf :o
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:02 am

a classic piece of american dragonballs z that a mate told me about

apparently in one episode in the jap version some guy is in a big fight and loses an arm and its all shown really gorey etc, but in the american one thats too much for censors, so apparently its shown where hes fighting, then suddenly has no arm and the dub voice over conversation between him & someone else goes

man 1: hey when did you lose an arm
man 2: i dont know, oh well i'll regenerate another one later

i dont normally listen when the anime talk starts but i found that so funny its stuck in my brain
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:06 pm

OMG, series 9 of xfiles intro is terrible... whoever came up with that needs shooting. The actual cgi in series 8 in the episode was rather good for what it was done for, however, urggh the intro is rubbish.

By series 6/7/8/9, the actual quality of the cameras and stuff were so much better than the intro from series 1 :lol: Just looked stupid, however, series 8s intro they should have kept.

Episodes are a bit crummy in series 9, series 8 wasn't that bad actually. Reminds me of happy days how they always used to refer to ron howard when he ditched the show :lol:

My phantasm box set came today :mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:08 am

i HATE ron howard, becoming an actor just so he could get out of fighting in vietnam, moocher
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:48 am

I don't think acting was considered an essential service that invalidates eligibilty for drafts. though I guess the drafting rules differed every time too. maybe they only drafted people not enrolled in college? I remember a lotta noise about people getting out for academic reasons.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:53 pm

just watched Madagascar & The Madagascar Penguins In A Christmas Caper, to be honest they were both good (makes a chance for a new film to actually be good) but the christmas caper short was better and funnier then the actual movie
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General