The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Jynks on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:19 pm

I know a lot of people pay out X-Files but I still reckon that some of the eps are truly great TV. Thing that was weird for me is that when it started it was the "mythology" eps that I was most keen to see.. but as the show went on and on I grew less and less interested in all the
Spoiler:
alien / oil / vacene / colinization / deal to buy time / stages of growth / etc etc etc
and became way more into the "monster of the week rep"

That is why I think some of the better end of run are the eps with that guy from terminator... as the show went back to strait cool weird monster type things... (Spesh that one with the guys tripping out with there third eyes and making there hallucinations real alla videodrome style... always love that idea!!!!)
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:22 pm

season 1 of xfiles i enjoyed, then it became popular and shit as far as im concerned, but upon repeat viewings i cant stand any of it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:51 pm

Yes, your quite right, i say the same thing. Except towards the end, when it was just filler rather than great episodes of the week.

What it needed when it hit the latter stage was a series long, consistant story arcs. It didn't however, the best we get in the end is maybe one or two two part episodes and the rest aren't of any relevance, and the two parters were neither well written nor thought out. It then became expendable.

@max, series 2 and 3 had some of the best episodes imo. I've just watched from series 1 to 6 as you can figure.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:02 pm

What is your top x-files ep of all time??... well lets make it the top 3 to be easy.... :) no order

Joe Lee Chun (um the comedy ep about the writter that is making a book about the aliens and it has the aliens from the deep earth and the fake aliens from the govement, jessy ventura guest starts in it)

That cool ep in the latter years where they meet the luckyest guy in the world.

The ones with the trippy third eyes.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:20 pm

the thing about xfiles 2 parters is like a lot fo 2 part tv episodes the first episode is really good and u cant wait for the 2nd episode then its a massive let down, like for instance in the xfiles they find that crashed lancaster or something in teh sea with someone still alive inside and it turns out the government were running some sort of sleep deprivation training (i think thats it anyway) the first episode was ok but the second episode was utter tosh
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:47 pm

That is kinda my point.... the "mytholagy" eps had all this potential but they ended up being total crap ... sesh once you got to the end of the series.. so now when you watch it on DVD those eps just do nothing for me... thats why I think the moster of the week eps kick the continual stoy line eps out of the water
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:08 pm

Tooms (counted as one) - Best... episodes... ever.

The mother episode, if you've seen it you'll know the one. The one with the deformed mother under the bed

The carnival town episode is one of my favourites from series 2. Very good horror serial, worked really well and appealed to my sense of taste :)

I loved the episode with the green bugs in the first series too, that worked very well.

The episode in series 6 with the navy noise test and Hal from Malcolm in the Middle is really awesome. That's definitely one of the best episodes, the car chase covered on tv works really well.

Dunno, there's lots of very cool episodes. Haven't got up to series 7 yet to rewatch, but i remember the COPS episode was very good.

In terms of originality, the bermuda triangle episode was unique and fresh (very different camera work, especially with scully storming round FBI trying to get some satellite navigation info), the xmas one with the ghosts was another great original episode.

The alien abduction writer episode was a funny one, lol @ the men in black. "you know venus is very visible this time of year!". Not one of my favourites in anyway, but its a good one :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:00 pm

especially with scully storming round FBI trying to get some satellite navigation info

Yea that was a good bit eh. That was one of the coolest things with the X-files... it was such a serious/moody show that when the writters took a break and made a comic ep they really broke the ice in a major way.

Quite liked the sea monster ep.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:55 pm

The Fluke monster episode, that was a cool one.

I just got League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse through the post, about time i saw that movie :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:18 pm

I just got League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse through the post, about time i saw that movie

and of course you will be ripping it??? :beerchug: , i need to see it too

spud, you like the day today dont you?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:16 pm

Firstly, do you live under a rock or something?
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=9617
Been out for some days now :wacky:

Secondly, of course, anyone with a good sense of humour would :)
Got it on DVDr
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:29 pm

completely forgot about the film until you mentioned it, yeah the day today rules, i remember when it was first on bbc2, only me and another guy at school watched it, everyone else was saying "its crap i dont get it" morons
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:18 pm

Watched the League of Gentlemen movie, I thought it was great definitely one of the best tv spinoff movies for sure... puts the xfiles crap to shame. It wasn't slapstick or sketches, which you shouldn't go in with the illusion of expecting.

All the horror references were top class, and the ye olde times was some funny stuff. lol @ simon pegg

The Calderdale comment cracks me up.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:28 pm

ive dlded it gonna watch it in a bit, watched land of teh dead unrated, pretty good flick, and asia argento is hot :D
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:55 pm

smallville</i>
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:42 pm

Hmmm I've never watched the League of Gentlemen tv show or the film... sounds like I should probably check it out....
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:55 pm

watch the series first, movie last:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=1029
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:00 pm

watched league of gents apocalypse last night, funny loved it, spud anychance u can copy me it on dvd?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:05 pm

if i can juggle the time and the disc space, but didn't your postman nick the dvdrs last time?

Probably be simplar just renting and copying.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:13 pm

lol no i got your dvd, so i think it was your postman who stole them, i guess you didnt get the 2nd copy i sent either?, stupid fucking postal service, my dad got a postcard about 3 years ago that one of his friends sent him from wales.......in 1974, it came with a slip amusingly saying "We apologise for the delay in delivering your mail" which really made me laugh

ill try and send u another copy if you still want it

just watch in 2038 you'll probably end up with 3 copies of it :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General