The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby Jynks on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:41 am

Have you got a linf for D.A.R.Y.L I have downloaded it three times and can not seam to find the english language version.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:43 am

ed2k: D.A.R.Y.L.1985.DVDRip.XviD-FRAGMENT.(osloskop.net).avi  [698.56 Mb] [Stats]

think thats the one i downloaded
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jynks on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:55 am

dinky wrote:
Jynks wrote:She is Ro Larren from Star Trek Next Gen isn't she?

yessir. took me a while to find her on the imdb sheet cuz it's technically a guest appearance role. anyway, the more important role I just noticed there was Escape from L. A.</i> :twisted:

Pity.. I was hoping that she would become a regular... I was hoping the new battlestar was going to become part of the fleet not just a one off double episode thing....

Thanks for that link Max.. I'll grab it and make a proper post in the release section after I verify it.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby Jim123 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:19 am

I should have known that you guys would know the answer. It took me about 20 minutes to remember where I have seen her. She is much older, but still not bad looking.
Jim123
42?

Postby Jynks on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:50 am

says on imdb that she was originaly slated to be in DS9 instead Kera Nareese at the bagorian officer... that would have been better on the eyes :)
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:29 pm

Pity.. I was hoping that she would become a regular... I was hoping the new battlestar was going to become part of the fleet not just a one off double episode thing....

imo it makes sense to:
Spoiler:
kill her off or capture and discharge her, the later meaning she can come back later. She has overstepped her bounds and gone space crazy (ie. B5 civil war style). I think there's one of two possibilities, 1) Gallactica will take over Pegasus and they'll operate with two ships, 2) Pegasus will be destoryed. The former can happen via a confrontation and escalation which is how we were left off, or Bablyon 5 style, the second in command will ask for her resignation after things nearly go cataclismic and she makes an order that's just too much to follow through. I like one because it spices things up, there's two crews so adama would have to juggle crew round, etc. That i imagine would be a good way to stop things going stale.

She might become a regular, i suspect Blade Runner is the one to ask because he's probably kidnapped and interogated one of the writers :lol:

Back to the choice of sound, there' two camps of course, and both are right and both are wrong, if you take a purely technical stance, you miss out the fact that its art and cinematography, and if you take the always sound in space, you can spoil the realism and effect. Its what makes the most atmospheric scene, that's why for kubrick's realism silence works best, star wars would be crap with no sfx though it just wouldn't work. However, hearing explosions and the like is not a technical inaccuracy in anyway, its a creative decision regarding sound positioning and what works best for the scene.

For firefly the series, i don't think soundless space was particularly necessary. Its very whedon, and that's not in the slightest bit realistic. Therefore sound in space battles doesn't really matter. In BSG, they try and shift focus tot he music to get the effect over the sound effects, I assume that's why the machine fire is muffled too, to give a sense of camera cuts between exterior and interior cockpit shots.

I enjoyed the B5 documentry where they discuss all the space ambiguities, I think the creator justified his choices well.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby Jynks on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 pm

Blade Runner is the one to ask because he's probably kidnapped and interogated one of the writers Laughing

ahhhahahahaahhahahhaha
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:31 pm

watching my way through twilight zone 2002
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:32 pm

My Farenheit 451 dvd arrive so its either that or lost... lost and an episode of the xfiles tonight i think.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:19 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:

imo it makes sense to:
Spoiler:
kill her off or capture and discharge her, the later meaning she can come back later. She has overstepped her bounds and gone space crazy (ie. B5 civil war style). I think there's one of two possibilities, 1) Gallactica will take over Pegasus and they'll operate with two ships, 2) Pegasus will be destoryed. The former can happen via a confrontation and escalation which is how we were left off, or Bablyon 5 style, the second in command will ask for her resignation after things nearly go cataclismic and she makes an order that's just too much to follow through. I like one because it spices things up, there's two crews so adama would have to juggle crew round, etc. That i imagine would be a good way to stop things going stale.

She might become a regular, i suspect Blade Runner is the one to ask because he's probably kidnapped and interogated one of the writers :lol:

I, too, would prefer 1 cuz the idea of a semi-servicable fleet is more interesting. but I'm thinking it will be 2 cuz...well...lookit the name of the show.

nice dig at br :wink:

now...I take it you have your hong kong x-files dvds? how's the vid quality? have you seen any xvid rips to compare them to?
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:24 pm

now...I take it you have your hong kong x-files dvds? how's the vid quality? have you seen any xvid rips to compare them to?

Nope, 7 to 10 working days, its been four so far i think. Payed on sunday, so that's probably an order placed on monday. Will take a screen dump of two so its not just my opinion your going off. I suspect they'll just be identical authors baring the menu and subtitles, but we will see.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jim123 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:00 pm

I don't think she will become a regular on BG. The show would become too complicated, they will keep it simple. Just my opinion, but it would be nice if they did.
Jim123
42?

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:41 pm

Serenity</i> was a good movie and a satisfying finish to the series. the manager of the local theater and I chat it up a bit when he sees me there, and was saying that they held a test screening a month ago, and he was shocked at how packed it was - let's face it, a western wrapped in a space serial is a niche of a niche. we laughed cuz this thing was going to be lucky to crack $50 million. anyway...it was quite good but there were also a lot of TV moments where you would see these two characters looking at each other (like in the middle of a gunfight or something) and you say to yourself "cue the music" and sure enough, here comes the 'tra-luh-la-luh-la-la-la' music followed by the ridiculously telegraphed (and poorly executed) "touching moment" or "heart to heart." thankfully, whedon had enough sense not to do it when wash gets staked. before I came on here to report that I finally watched something in a month(!), I got the tvguide review in my mailbox. so I checked that out, and the reviewer absolutely loved it (so it would read) and I generally agreed with her understanding of the movie except for her kind of ridiculous statement that this movie plays well for people who never saw the series (which is quite a large population of the movie-going population cuz...well...it wasn't cancelled for too large of an audience). I mean...this movie is maybe Episode III without having seen (much less enjoyed!) the series. and then I was kinda miffed cuz she didn't write one negative thing and gave the movie a 3/4 stars. at first, I was like "uh...I'm not complaining cuz that's about right, but wtf? aren't you even going to explain the problems with it? good good good um...I'll give you a B cuz I don't feel like handing out A's today" :? and then I was like "wait a second. since when is it out of 4 stars? isn't it supposed to be 5?" so then I go back and check a year's worth of uncompacted, deleted reviews in my del box. yep. it's definitely out of 5. wtf? I know, it's really not worth the thought I put into it, but if it makes you feel better (and you're somehow still reading this drivel), I lied. I didn't actually go through and check the delete box, but I am sure the criteria was out of 5 as of a month ago when I last read a review.

picked-up a copy of the ED2 book of the dead dvd. the idiot clerk kept pressing the eye by accident/on purpose like I didn't already fecking know about the scream. :lol:

also got a superbit of underworld</i> cuz (a) I liked the movie, (b) it was onsale, (c) I wanted to see if I could tell a difference, (d) none of the above, (e) all of the above
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:46 pm

i cant be bothered to read all that so ill skip to the ed 2 part :D , i want that boxset too, is it out in england yet? probably not

been watching the latest ep of surface, pretty good, is it only a 4part miniseries or something?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:02 pm

spud already owns it. so I think it is.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:40 pm

pass on the ed2 box set... I hate box sets... I throw out all my dvd covers into the attic anyway and keep everything in nice neat jackets so they are no use to me. I just do not "get" this whole special feature disk and extras crap that everyone is so into... almost 100% of the time a deleted scene was deleted for a reason .... cause it SUXED. And the comenteries and docos are almost with out exception boring and mabey you will watch it once.

I have my eveil dead dvds already and it seams like a marketing ploy to get you to rebuy it a zillion times.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:19 pm

I guess you haven't been following the discussion of it in the past couple pages? it's a new and noticably better (according to spud) transfer. but I gotta admit, I am more into the new cover. It's great to pass around and tell stories about the necronomicon during evil deadathons (speaking of which, there will now be a new one in celebration of the new dvd before halloween at my place 8) ). and one time, I had to give a lecture to a medievalism class about army of darkness (no, it wasn't my course) and I brought in the botd cover and passed it around and it was...like...cool and stuff. :D
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:30 am

i dont own the evil deads on dvd yet (well ed1 on a copy i ripped blockbuster off with) because i was waiting for a decent transfer of them, my prayers would appear to have been answered, and i 99% of the time will only buy special edition movies, i never buy anything thats jsut a standard edition, unless its all thats available within a 3 year time period, same goes for full screen, i despise full screen unless again its the only thing available (i actually have a friend who says widescreen is utter crap as u get black lines at the top & bottom.... :o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:04 pm

that reminds me. there's a new cut of mallrats coming out....
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:46 pm

I got the Evil Dead book of the dead when it was a limited edition mainly because of the cover because it really looks good, but evil dead 2 book of the dead is actually a different dvd and i haven't heard anything about them releasing a normal edition of it without the cover. But the cover is shit hot so it doesn't matter if they don't. I imported it from the states from playusa.com, there's no announcement of a uk release date.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General