The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:56 pm

yeah, taste.. i'm sure that's exactly what you've got :wacky:

Hex does suck, however.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 pm

i must have taste i won thomas on dvd :p

incidently watched the first 2 series already

:lol: already, i say as if each episodes 90minutes long or something
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:51 am

About 4 days ago I saw Serenity at a screening..... I was pretty happy with it... had some great shots in it.. once aagin relying on top notch special effects to tell a lot of the story... . they love those sweeping pans of space ships and star portsd (or fantasy castles if you are in wizard land)

The big problem with this for me was that they tried to compress what would proably have been like 4 years of TV show into one movie and as a result it is very jerky and disjointed.. so much happens that much of it is only glanced at... never really given a good shake.

It takes place after the TV show as far as I can tell.

Spoiler:
Some things that really suxed for fans of the show.... one they dumped the cool scilence in space stuff the TV show had... so back to normal starwars style space battle sound effects.... and they dumped the cool gigantic allience battle cruzers *the ones taht looked like citys) withc was a pity as I thought they looked way cool in TV show.

Also in the end the explination for the revers was just LAME.... I loved the consept of them so much better when it was just the vague idea of everyone going nutz at the edge of space....
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:31 am

From Babylon 5 and Nasa scientists when asked on the applicability of sound in space:
it is completely unknown if there is sound in space, no one has actually tried firing a gun and setting up a microphone nearby (its not a perfect vaccuum), its merely an assumption, however, from the perspective of the pilots, yes there would be sound, and fire and explosions given that they have a pressurised cockpit. Therefore when you hear sound in space, it is because you are hearing sound from the perspective of the vehicle.

Therefore unlike Stanley Kubrick's positioning of the recoding device in space, when you watch star wars, you are hearing explosions from the point of view of the person that's just blown up.

Explosions are the result of depressurised oxygen exploding. There's a cool explanation in B5, where two techies are watching a battle and they explain that orange is one of their guys dying and green is one of the enemies, given the different atmospheres in the cockpit.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:40 am

Yea but the camera is rarly inside the cockpit....

sure the person in the pit can hear the sounds of only what is going on inside and any sound waves that impact directly on the ships hull with enough streangh to reverberate though the ship.....

If the camera is outside in space you shouldn't hear anything.... Battlestar Galactica is top notch at this, sound when in the ship, and no sound when outside it. Same gose for firefly.

The explosion thing is correct, the atmosphere insdie the ship would burn up in a VERY quick flash....

Sound travels in waves like light or heat does, but unlike them, sound travels by making molecules vibrate. So, in order for sound to travel, there has to be something with molecules for it to travel through. On Earth, sound travels to your ears by vibrating air molecules. In deep space, the large empty areas between stars and planets, there are no molecules to vibrate. There is no sound there.

Astromany Cafe wrote:Is there really sound in space?

Actually...yes!!

What is sound? It is a pressure wave. So long as you have some kind of gaseous medium, you will have the possibility of forming pressure waves in it by 'shocking' it in some way.

In space, the interplanetary medium is a very dilute gas at a density of about 10 atoms per cubic centimeter, and the speed of sound in this medium is about 300 kilometers/sec. Typical disturbances due to solar storms and 'magneto-sonic turbulence' at the earth's magnetopause have scales of hundreds of kilometers, so the acoustic wavelengths are enormous. Human ears would never hear them, but we can technologically detect these pressure changes and play them back for our ears to hear by electronically compressing them.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:53 am

Yea but the camera is rarly inside the cockpit....

Your skipping a crucial point in this regard, that is completely irrelevant to film and movie making if you think about it. Camera placement means nothing, its what the director chooses you to hear. You can hear people speaking in other rooms, or people below a security camera. You can hear people speaking in long shots, etc. Its all about telling the story, and you can hear sound from a different POV to the camera, and 9 time out of 10 in a movie you are, so why complain when they do exactly the same thing in space?

This is because sound and realistic harmonics has never been implemented in film. Think about the sound level when you watch a movie (or rather observe a movie, because the way it works is you don't notice these things until you examine the tricks the director has used to implement the film).

Its all about editing. I mean people enter a building and appear opening a door in an appartment, you don't need to see the guy getting a lift and everything because its suggested by the context of the scene. Same goes for a long shot, it doesn't matter if you can hear people as if you were stood next to them, the real reason is they have a mike and its dubbed over the top, so you never, ever get point of view.

I think whilst removing sound sometimes works, its not a bad thing that they use varying POV of sound when observing a battle. You don't have to have the camera sat in a cockpit to hear sound from that POV, that's contrary to 100 years of cinema.

Its the omniscience of the audience, you are partial to sights and sounds that the characters are not, and i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. It can often improve the effect of the battles and intensify the scenes greatly.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:06 am

btw, i mentioned editing so i thought i'd plug a documentry:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=9564
:mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:19 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Watched Battlestar episode 10 and loved it to bits, best episode i can recall by miles.

agreed. and a terrible</i> two-part episode to shove a 3 month wedge between. wtf? dumb dumb dumb scheduling.

ugh. guys, it's called science fiction so you don't have to have these ridiculous debates.

/me thinks back to the scene on cloud city. :o

shite. carry on.
Last edited by dinky on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:23 pm

i just bought the xfiles S1-9 boxset to fill up the time :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:26 pm

what did you pay, and is it a hong kong knockoff?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:29 pm

yeah, its an asian retail import, cost £48.50 + p&p. That's what? About $70?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:28 pm

I got a copy of roswell second season for ~$25 (including the $12 shipping fee). and I saw similar deals for x-files (all seasons), but iunno. packaging is mildly suspicious (box contains discs with cd sleeves) and the video quality just didn't look good at all. haven't been able to compare it to a US retail version though. lemme know what you think. my sis was big on x-files.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:35 pm

was that before or after see was abducted? :wacky:

Will let you know, if i got scammed i'll be seriously pissed. :matrix:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 pm

LOL, watched Mighty Boosh S2e06, episode is hilarious, probably the best one... lol @ milky joe! :lol:

American Dad seems to be a lot better, Family Guy was good, simpsons was okay... waiting on the next episode of Lost. Lets find out who this Desmond guy is!

Oh yeah X-files, and i found out:
Spoiler:
Scully is immortal
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:08 pm

its norman beaton of course, there is only one televisual desmond and you know it :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jim123 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:03 pm

I just watched the new BG. fantastic.

Does anyone recognize who the Admiral is, or other shows she has done.
Jim123
42?

Postby tweye on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:07 pm

Jim123 wrote:Does anyone recognize who the Admiral is, or other shows she has done.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000405/
"You are beyond insane!"
tweye
Owns a Genesis Record

Postby Jynks on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:27 pm

She is Ro Larren from Star Trek Next Gen isn't she?

Your skipping a crucial point in this regard, that is completely irrelevant to film and movie making if you think about it. Camera placement means nothing, its what the director chooses you to hear

True... in theory. I mean the director can choose to show you anything.... but the VAST majority of shots you will see in any movie are done from the point of view of the camera.... you can tell this as they put stuff like doppler effects on objects and the like as they fly past the screens point of view. With surround sound, you hear things to the left and to the right in front and behind... relative to what? the camera.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:24 am

Jynks wrote:She is Ro Larren from Star Trek Next Gen isn't she?

yessir. took me a while to find her on the imdb sheet cuz it's technically a guest appearance role. anyway, the more important role I just noticed there was Escape from L. A.</i> :twisted:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 am

escape from L.A wipes shit all over gay trek

movie wise watched D.A.R.Y.L. and Cloak & Dagger tonight, never seen them before, were pretty good, not classics but pretty good to pass the time
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General