The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:55 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:yeah just gone there before u linked and added it :) didnt know any was out yet

i always liked the tremors series, spud only hated it because it replaced his precious :lol: thats my theory anyway, i believe we had our first run in on the sr forums with the tremors v farscape bit, oh how we evolved lol

lol

I just assumed that it was replaced by stargate. anyway...

GOOD RIDDANCE

:P
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:58 am

lol your dicing with death :beerchug: :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:27 pm

I laugh in the face of danger. 'ha ha ha!' then I run and hide until it goes away. :D

I thought about watching rome</i> last night. :?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:58 pm

I thought about watching rome last night.

how much funnier would it have been had u said "i thought about chronically masturbating last night :? ", well it would've made me laugh anyway
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:09 pm

i always liked the tremors series, spud only hated it because it replaced his precious

wtf are you talking about? i don't hate the series in the slightest at all, i infact spent all the time writing up how good it was and why it didn't deserve to be cancelled. and it had absolutely nothing to do with farscape so i doubley have no f*ckin clue what your talking about. When have i ever said i disliked the series?

:?

spudthedestroyer wrote:this is actually an okay series, a lot better than i was expecting. Doc from Back to the Future is in it too :D

spudthedestroyer wrote:it was the best think on sci-fi uk for weeks.

I think they need to looks at the international ratings, here in the uk I bet it was very high.. infact, how come sci-fi uk never buys any new shows?

Would be a great way for them to get their foot in the door. Sky1 (british version of fox :)) is apparantly looking to foot some money for a new series of angel due to its high ratings over here... maybe sci-fi uk should be doing the same.

And cancel that veratas the wank show :matrix:

and i maintained the tremors thread of four sites, sr, fn, fh and dead-donkey... why would i think it was crap?
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=289
http://www.fileheaven.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5723

I can't fathom why you would even say that :?
Last edited by spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:12 pm

lol all this time i mustve got your feelings on tremors confused with some other series that started at the same time then

lol scifi uk is probably run by some fat overweight guy with really long hair who lives in his parents attic somewhere never removing his trek uniform :lol:

last thing i remember scifi uk joint funding was that atrocious Invasion Earth with BBC1 (farscape was american scifi channel wasnt it?)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:28 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:lol scifi uk is probably run by some fat overweight guy with really long hair who lives in his parents attic somewhere never removing his trek uniform :lol:

I'll have you know that I do not</i> run sci-fi uk. but thanks for the sentiment.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:48 pm

(farscape was american scifi channel wasnt it?)

I dunno, it was partly funded by the bbc and they were a uk distrubutor, and the first series seems to have come from australia (many aussie accents and the sets/locations were australian). I think it was one of those international brick-a-brack projects, however, for all intents and purposes, yes i think its fair to say its nearly entirely an american show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187636/companycredits

@dinky, lol.. yeah but you wouldn't have had the qualifications anyway, you need to be able to spell and locate the uk on the map... Fox news have an opening. :lol:

ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm

:lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:52 pm

as far as the i don't like tremors thing goes, i may have once said "I would rather tremors/stragate etc be cancelled if it meant another series of farscape". I wasn't saying i don't like them, just they are no where near as good. I also would gladly give up the simpsons if it meant bringing back futurama. Futurama was easily a better show that the simpsons of the same time. Yet simpsons is still going on and getting worse... anyone seen series 17? :? Its really beyond help.

As far as any relevance, tremors barely had a budget and farscapes problem was its budget was huge. It wasn't a reality that tremors had any impact on the decision to cancel farscape, it was the cost of making farscape. or so the claim went, which Jim Henson's company said was bs:

But the show's producer, Jim Henson TV, said the Australian-shot "Farscape" cost only about $1.5 million an episode, which is at least $500,000 an hour less than the production cost of the UPN primetime sci-fi series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Enterprise."

http://farscapenews.com/article.php?sid ... =0&thold=0

Tremors looks like it was a very cheap series.

Stargate can kiss my ass though, I have no love for that series... disposable tv although it wasn't a bad show i guess. An episode of those two series are about on par with farscape in terms of cost, infact i think its far higher, they just picked up a mainstream audience from its scheduling where as farscape was strictly scifi, channel and nature, and hence a smaller viewer base.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:19 am

i agree simpsons has been turning into ubershit for years, futurama was great, i would easily trade the shitsons for more futurama, i remember there were rumours that Cartoon Network were gonna start financing more futurama due to its massive ratings when it went to CN, but i guess it hasnt come of anything, still family guy was cancelled and dvd sales alone brought it back for 2 more seasons, so who knows, futurama could return. We live in hope

i think tremors should return too, i mean what is michael gross gonna do now? the series had more goin for it then making a longer series of films i thought too, the 45min formula was good as u could spread the storys intially over the episode and they were just the right length to make sure no boredom set in, but u could hold small arcs aswell. Anyway it should come back

as far as stargate goes, i thought SG1 was ok at best for the first 3 seasons then it dropped to well its better then some things, then it dropped to if theres nothing else on level, now its just gone way beyond the crap levels anyone could imagine, infact i stopped watching after season 4, and thought id give it a chance in season 8 (well actually i was forced into watching it each week) but season 9 just fuck off, atlantis seems better, although again its one of those "its ok i suppose" half heartely not too bothered about series
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:41 am

atlantis, imo is an excuse to make more episodes of stargate but being able pay the cast smaller fees. Doesn't really need to exist beyond that advantage for the makers.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:23 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:atlantis, imo is an excuse to make more episodes of stargate but being able pay the cast smaller fees. Doesn't really need to exist beyond that advantage for the makers.

:lol: yeah, but it's a relatively expensive show too.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:11 pm

ah im finally back after setting up my new pc and shuch

while i was offline i was bored so i watched sahara...... YOU FUCKING BASTARDS HOLLYWOOD........ i want those 2 hours back, it started badly, trailed off towards the middle and the less said about the end the better

my god ive never seen a film quite so bad as that, with possible exception of Never Been Kissed (Damn you Jenni), i mean jesus christ, jesus fucking christ, i dont even know where to begin to describe the abdness of it

matthew mcoughney or whatever is meant to be from what i could make out some ex marine now salvage person obbssessed with finding some ironclad ship full of confederate gold that somehow is bullet and cannonball proof and somehow sailed across the ocean to africa or some other god forsaken hole where theres conveiniently a warmongering dictator and a group of rebels, and a "sexy" female doctor in the form of penelope cruz who is trying to stop said outbreak blah blah blah fighty fighty shoot this shoot that, oh were in the desert, with the back of a truck handcuffed to us lets just conveniantly lose it and take this crashed 20s plane and SURF (yes they fucking surf on it) across the desert before destroying some gay ass sun collection place thats dumping toxins everywhere and all the while not breaking a sweat, or infact actually doin any form of acting either, token black dies, toekn old admiral doesnt do much but hates lead until the end, said bad actor lead gets off with sexy doctor, comedy sidekick just stands there wanking off a camel...probably

FUCK i hate that film, it really pissed me off
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:46 pm

heh. except for penelope cruz (looks like a twig and only gets worse when she speaks), I enjoyed it. certainly nothing special (6 or 7 outta 10 depending on my mood) but not painful to watch either.

I mean...it was better than similar recent faire such as hidalgo</i> (locale & politics) or national treasure</i> (plot/conceit).

maxpayne2409 wrote:my god ive never seen a film quite so bad as that...jesus christ, jesus fucking christ, i dont even know where to begin to describe the abdness of it

raise your voice</i>, the village</i>, catwoman</i>, alexander</i>...that's just last year, dude.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:23 pm

not seen national treasure

and as for the rest i had the sense not to see them, but i thought sahara might be good, boy was i wrong, so technically ive still not SEEN a film worse
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:32 pm

lol - the main teaser poster sported them sailing the plane over the desert! (I came in thinking it was going to be national treasure part 2 - so very low expectations. thus pleasantly surprised).

plot also reminded me of that nicole kidman movie, interpreter</i>? at least in the same tears of the sun</i> way it produced a generalized western idea of the state of central, west, north...shit, of africa's political climate! run down</i>, which I also thought was a fun movie, did the same thing for s. america...columbia?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:46 pm

not seen tears of the queers either or whatever its called, i thought sahara was gonna be in the same vein as national treasure but better (not that ive seen N.T), but i was wrong, i guess i should watch National Treasure now aswell to compare, lol i'll probably enjoy that more then sahara, incidently i hadnt seen any trailers for either, just goin by the tiny plot outline on imdb, which is why i watched sahara in the first place
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby El Mariachi on Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:18 am

I saw Dragonhead and I was a bit disappointed by it since it was a very slow movie. It played like a drama and perhaps it was.

atmosphere was nice though.
Last edited by El Mariachi on Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Spectacular stunt my friends, but all for not... turn around please, what a pity what a pity." - gay officer in Spaceballs
"It has zombies in it, how can you not give a crap?" - Spud
El Mariachi
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Jynks on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:51 am

Spud wrote:I dunno, it was partly funded by the bbc and they were a uk distrubutor, and the first series seems to have come from australia (many aussie accents and the sets/locations were australian). I think it was one of those international brick-a-brack projects, however, for all intents and purposes, yes i think its fair to say its nearly entirely an american show.

It is amlost entirly shot on location at Fox Studios Sydney.... all the outside shots were also done in Victoria or NSW (australia) all the CG effects were done by Animal Logic an australian cg house.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to General