The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:26 pm

I watched The Princess Bride, which was significantly lower budget than i was expecting. Was still okay i guess... how come you can tell who Billy Crystal is instantly even if he's wearing 12 gallons of makeup? The sword fight was nifty, but there needed to be more of them.

I notice its Rob Reiner who directed and all i can think of him is him being a dick in South Park.... "BUTTER!"

I also watched Day of the Dead 2, which doesn't deserve the name:
spudthedestroyer wrote:I just watched it, i guess i was beaten to the mini-review, but here's what i thought:
---
Hey, I just watched this and its not all that bad.

Firstly, I'll clear up the title misinformation... this has nothing to do with Day of the Dead. The film makers claim its a prequel to Day of the Dead. No its not, its not at all. Okay it might setup that the dead are coming back to life, but it in no way links to Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead or Day of the Dead. Infact, as far as unofficial sequels go, Return of the Living Dead is actually more to do with the franchise than anything (he mentions the Zombie they have in the tank is one from the outbreak that night of the living dead was based on in the movie).... speaking of which, this movie is a hell of a lot more like Return of the Living Dead or Resident Evil than it is any Romero movie. They've clearly chosen the name to get attention since it really wouldn't have got it under its own merits.

The Day of the Dead link:
Spoiler:
There is no relation, infact, this is more like Return of the Living Dead (army neurotoxin) or the Resident Evil T-Virus than anything. Romero purposely left the undead unexplained to great effect. This has no relation and infact, its rather insulting that it shares the same name

Plot:
Spoiler:
The basic plot premise is there is a soviet virus that kills a person and they continue living (not zombie like, but they are still fully conscious and talk and all that, like in Versus). They then get a taste for human flesh. Once they bite someone they then turn into zombies. Basically they pull a jurassic park in the beginning, what happens is identical. A guy puts a virus in a flask (its dna in JP) whilst a military facility is in chaos (zombie outbreak everyone gets shot by the army), and then looses the flask. Then some douchebags from a mental home who are cleaning the grounds outside the home find the flash, open it... there's an outbreak in the mental home. Only this isn't controlled and the zombies get out in the end (and this is why its a so called prequel to day of the dead, which is utter bullshit, its a cashin)

Script:
Spoiler:
Well the plot is stupid, it can't help but have a script that 'isn't all that'. Some of the characters are likeable and are played well, some of the others spurt stupid lines. The central 'lover boy' character you just want to hate with this stupid death obsession and crappy voiceover, that annoyed the hell out of me. The, well i'll call them 'uber zombies' because contagnium sounds retarded, are dreadful, really dreadful. Its not a good idea to have talking 'uber zombies' like that, its stupid. You can only pull off the dead talking crap in a comic horror like Braindead, Versus, Re-animator.. or other demonic possession movies (evil dead, etc.). Here it doesn't work, and its stupid... it pulls it off worse than Resident Evil (the games!) do, infact RE pulls it off well because when they become the tyrant they don't talk. Leeching Day of the Deads title has only made this movie look far worse and far more retarded.

Budget:
Spoiler:
This is a more expensive low budget movie, and it avoids some of the pitfalls but lands in the same old tired flaws. Firstly, lets say the negatives. The cameras make the movie look cheap, don't expect something that looks hollywood. Visually its below a tv movie in terms of 'cheapness'. The acting is really hammy in places, so too is a lot of the script, its a bit of a grit your teeth movie in parts. Now it does manage to pull some more likeable characters out of the hat, and it does manage to cover some scenes that are quite fun to watch, mostly the self-indulgent zombie scenes. The editing is solid, barring a few rushed scene changes i don't think worked (one of the day introduction scenes pops up without a proper scene transistion/end point imo). The gore is great in parts, not as good in other places

Acting:
Spoiler:
Some of the bigger characters do well, the bit parts and a couple of the central characters are extremely hammy. You can't for a second believe any of the people dressed in army gear are in the army, especially not the generals or the worst Russian I've ever seen. Its a bit above b-movie horror in the most part, this is probably due to the bigger budget than most b-movies

Zombies:
Spoiler:
In this film the zombies are all over the place, some run round, others only stumble and walk. Some seem to have intelligence, and there's lots of plot holes and flaws. They are not anything like Romero's, at all.

Gore:
There's some good and bad bits of gore, most of it is relatively well done and look good. For people who don't like gore, there's some Cabin Fever style blistering [which magically dissappears later] and the like, as well as zombies eating corpses. Nothing as good as the gore in Day of the Dead

Summary... cheap cash in on Romero's work and completely unrelated. With that out of the way, there's a nice low budget zombie movie. Its really dumb, and has some hammy acting but to make up for this, some actors know what to do, the gore effects a nice and some of the shots are rather well implemented on the budget.

Its okay, the uber zombies are hella-crap, i won't want to watch most of the middle, but the army bit at the begining and the zombie outbreak at the end is good. It doesn't deserve its name though.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:33 pm

sacateca wrote:the last sci-fi movie i saw was Screamers, and thought it was very good...with bigger budget it could've been brilliant, as it was only some mediocre special effects that lessened the experience somewhat.

i watched screamers for hte first time a few weeks ago, and thought it was a big pile of arse, paul weller was wasted in it, it only picked up about 2/3 of the way through, the film just didnt grip me, totally un smegging gripped
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:37 pm

LOL

RIMMER: So a six and a three and he came back with a three and a two.
LISTER: Rimmer, can't you tell the story is not gripping me? I'm in a state of non-grippedness, I am completely smegging ungripped. Shut the smeg up.
RIMMER: Don't you want to hear the Risk story?
LISTER: That's what I've been saying for the last fifteen minutes.

:mrgreen:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: red dwarf rules, i think u should introduce a custom rimmer smiley here for those moments when you have to indicate someones being a git, and a complete and total one at that :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:18 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:I watched The Princess Bride, which was significantly lower budget than i was expecting. Was still okay i guess... how come you can tell who Billy Crystal is instantly even if he's wearing 12 gallons of makeup? The sword fight was nifty, but there needed to be more of them.

anybody want a peanut? 8)

edit: forgot why I came on here...

watched lates BG. loved it. pissed that it ended when it did (11pm eastern standard time, same every week, dinklehead)
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby sacateca on Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:27 pm

Yeah, i know Screamers has gotten a lot of negative comments, but rather undeservedly. What i mean is, i've read the arguments people have, but i simply didn't agree with them. For me in that movie, everything was in its place...the acting was good, the sets were well made, most of the sfx were good (the worst was the woman burning in the end), the pacing was succesful, the story was interesting and enough of Dick's ideas had been preserved so it wasn't just a mindless action movie, even if the emphasis was on the action.
Almost as good as Bladerunner, i feel the biggest difference was the budget, and as good as Total Recall, even if the visuals and fx (and budget) are way inferior (probably had a lot more sense in it than Total Recall).
sacateca
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:59 pm

sacateca wrote:Almost as good as Bladerunner, i feel the biggest difference was the budget, and as good as Total Recall, even if the visuals and fx (and budget) are way inferior (probably had a lot more sense in it than Total Recall).

:lol:

I just think it's funny that those two movies work their way into the same comparison. these androids don't dream of electric sheep.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:01 pm

Almost as good as Bladerunner, i feel the biggest difference was the budget, and as good as Total Recall, even if the visuals and fx (and budget) are way inferior (probably had a lot more sense in it than Total Recall).

:lol: i also think its funny you could even compare screamers and bladerunner (and total recall i guess) bladerunner is a true classic, and total recall is a fun cheese fest (ina good way)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:16 pm

dinky wrote:<a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421239/>Red Eye</a> (2005), new jodie foster/wes craven movie that opens today. looks like scream meets panic room plus a little ring.

oops. lol

I went to the page and didn't even notice jodie foster's not even in the movie. I was confusing red eye with flightplan. not that red eye looks great, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the jodie foster thing.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:14 am

your right, it does sound utter shit too :lol:

now everyone go watch postman pat :lol: :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:57 pm

Well Blade Runner is one of the benchmarks of scifi. I think its on how much its effected his view on scifi and his enjoyment rather than similarities in plot or visuals.

It makes sense in saying "I like bmovies/cult/independant more than arthouse-come-blockbusters"

I watched Battlestar and enjoyed it too, i just thing as a tv series its a nightmare... it doesn't feel much like a serial so when it ends its really annoying. Damn it, have to wait till next week.

looks like scream meets panic room plus a little ring.

That sounds worse than the super-AIDS to put it bluntly. Scream was awful, panic room was even worse and if by a little of the ring you mean its long then I would rather have super-aids :o
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:48 pm

looks like scream meets panic room plus a little ring

i suppose that might almost be good if it was actually the ghostface scream/scary movie killer chasing jodie foster, while she sings "Ring.... a ring of roses" :lol: nope scratch that, that just sounds whacked out
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:29 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Well Blade Runner is one of the benchmarks of scifi. I think its on how much its effected his view on scifi and his enjoyment rather than similarities in plot or visuals.

It makes sense in saying "I like bmovies/cult/independant more than arthouse-come-blockbusters"

I think they were all (supposed to be) blockbusters. anyway, I'm not a bladerunner fanatic, but its i, robot</i> narrative is far far far superior to the Peter Weller movie, which seems a lot closer to Virus</i>, the jaimie lee curtis movie, to me.

spudthedestroyer wrote:I watched Battlestar and enjoyed it too, i just thing as a tv series its a nightmare... it doesn't feel much like a serial so when it ends its really annoying. Damn it, have to wait till next week.

sure wish HBO was doing this series. although they'd never do a 22 ep season.

spudthedestroyer wrote:
looks like scream meets panic room plus a little ring.

That sounds worse than the super-AIDS to put it bluntly. Scream was awful, panic room was even worse and if by a little of the ring you mean its long then I would rather have super-aids :o

scream was a good movie. laughed my ass off. "liver alone." but yeah, as a horror flick, it's terrible: how many times does the dude get kicked in the balls or get easily foiled? but then...that's the point. cool soundtrack too. never bothered with panic room</i> cuz everyone seems to hate it no matter what their taste in movies. the plot for flightplan</i> is jodie foster designs this really high tech, largest luxury airplane in the world. she goes on the flight with her daughter. she falls asleep, wakes up, the kid is gone. she goes on a manhunt for her. she learns the kid is not on the plane's manifest. then they find out she is, and she's in a coffin and that mommy's having a break-down. but mommy refuses to believe either, and thinks there's some sadistic plan to rend her child from her and drive her insane. all that from the 2 minute trailer. so the ring analogy is "is she real? am I imagining this? is she in trouble?" I guess I could have gone with identity</i> (john cusack movie in similar vein - also absurdly stupid 'revelation' that renders the whole movie a waste of time). so the whole conceit of the movie: is she crazy or isn't she? 2 fecking hours to answer that question. here's an idea, don't tell people the question in the preview.

American Wedding Unrated</i>. I couldn't tell a difference between the two version.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:01 pm

guess I could have gone with identity (john cusack movie in similar vein - also absurdly stupid 'revelation' that renders the whole movie a waste of time).

but identity is a good film, although im biased as (bruce campbell aside) john cusack is one of my favourite male actors
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:35 pm

lol - there must be a sam neil joke in there somewhere.

edit: right...sam neil must love dogs</i> (how's that for meta-mockery?)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:51 pm

dinky wrote:lol - there must be a sam neil joke in there somewhere.

edit: right...sam neil must love dogs</i> (how's that for meta-mockery?)

am i missing something? :lol: sam neill doesnt like dogs, hes dinoman :lol: i wonder if his favourite cartoon is cadillacs & dinosaurs
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:03 pm

new john cusack movie with diane lane is called must love dogs</i>, and it's getting worse reviews than love, actually</i>.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:48 pm

oh dear god, well u know, every actor makes at least one duff movie in theyre career :lol: except jeff goldblum who seems to make an endless amount of them (congrats to mr neall for avoiding jp2 like the plague)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:59 am

latest ep of entourage.

last ep of six feet under.

iunno...seemed like a quick resolution to the latter, but...I guess what're ya gonna do?

Spoiler:
there's a scene where ruth calls the quaker (maggie?) and the quaker is in a doctor's waiting room. I think the scenario is meant to imply that maybe she's preggers and nate will have fathered 3 kids with 3 different women. sweet!. also, I'm not sure jumping to most of the cast's death scenes was very smart or believable in some cases. it reminded me of the scenes where the jedi are assassinated in RotS: they show every major death and skip the details about the only one that there's any emotional attachment to: anakin in the temple. except there's no legitimate corresponding single scene in 6FU that wasn't shown like the temple slaughter.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:38 pm

ghostbusters.

watched the deleted scenes too.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General