The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:41 pm

:roll: no one reads my shit. :cry:

torn between mx vs atv unleashed, ghostbusters, and 1st season of six feet under.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:04 pm

mx vs atv unleashed

dont know what that is but im gonna hazzard a guess from teh name it sounds like some sort of homo extreme sports gayness

ghostbusters

there should be no contest really

1st season of six feet under

more like six feet blunder :lol:

anyway just watched Lake Placid at a friends house, its meant to be a comedy right???? well it made me laugh anyway (i mean hearing old people saying fuck shit is always funny :lol: ), plus it had bridget fonda in and ive had a thing for her ever since i saw scandal when it was first shown on channel 4 years and years ago
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:23 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:
mx vs atv unleashed

dont know what that is but im gonna hazzard a guess from teh name it sounds like some sort of homo extreme sports gayness

it's a racing game. it was fun. caught the last 45 mins of X2.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:24 pm

ah ok, watching the zombie episode of sliders now 3x18 - sole survivors
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:29 am

latest entourage again. tried to watch anchor man, but it was so fecking stupid and a total waste of talent. stopped 30-40 mins in.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:39 am

Watched Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. Both cool films, i watched the director's cut of Army of Darkness... been ages since i watched either film, but i can still pinpoint every change in the director's cut of Army of Darkness :lol:

There's a new transfer of evil dead 2 out later this year, its in a book of the dead cover (like the first one did), with some electric doo-dar when you press the eye... what's interesting though is it says its a "high definition" transfer... i want to know if that means its HD-TV or they're just blagging trying to say it will look better.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:43 pm

bear in mind that for the Evil Dead: Book of the Dead</i> edition, there's a whole diatribe about quality of releases and masters, and then you learn at the end that anchor bay is the dependable company...blah blah blah (it's in the booklet inside the necronomicon). maybe it's just me, but I was under the impression that the anchor bay releases were poor quality. I have the original universal dvd of AoD. shall have to compare it to the other version(s). the caps of the "model car" on FH were from the anchor bay canadian director's cut. then there's boomstick and bootleg, both anchor bay.

anyway, I'm sure that the new transfer isn't from HDTV. that would make no sense: where did the HDTV imprint come from? wouldn't the source of an HD version be the master for all</i> versions (assuming it's still in good condition, but HD is brand new, so that would have to have been a recent transfer itself). so I'm definitely leaning toward: trying to sell more copies. I'll buy it anyway though cuz...necronomicon "cover"!
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:18 pm

i used the theatrical disc for the screencap, the director's cut quality is a lot better except for the added scenes which aren't as good.

As for the HDTV they redo a new master with better equipment from the same negatives. That's how they do HDTV authors. HDTV is just the same negatives but captured at a higher resolution with more data spent on it so it looks a hell of a lot better, rather than capturing at a lower resolution and at a lower capped bitrate. If you look at the DVDs there is encoding limitations so a new author with better equipment would be smart. I don't think they are doing hdtv but rather using better equipment. They might have just used the buzz words high definition to mean it looks a bit better, but if they are true to the term, then it will be a brand new HDTV author, which i didn't think was done for DVDs so that's why i think they are trying to blag more sales.

Anchor bay are full of shit though, and they've released countless releases of these movies since they are quite clearly knobheads. Then again people like us buy em... for the necronomicon "cover"! :lol:

edit:
It's back to the "Evil Dead" well for another helping of ghoulish mayhem with Anchor Bay's Evil Dead 2: Book of the Dead 2. Director Sam Raimi's kick-ass sequel gets a wicked re-release this time around with its very own collectible Necronomicon "Book of the Dead" packaging designed, once again, by special effects guru Tom Sullivan. As an added bonus over the last Necronomicon release, you'll be able to press the bulging eye to hear the book scream! Look for the disc itself to feature the first ever high-definition Divimax transfer of this classic film, along with new and exciting bonus materials. No street date yet, so stay tuned.

http://www.comingsoon.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39055
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:43 pm

yeah. just for kicks, I capped the same scene from the universal disc and the anchor bay boomstick (I think only packaging differs on anchor bay except the dc). anyway, this is what I end up with...

anchor bay:

universal:

interesting...the anchor bay colors look a lot deeper. universal seems kinda faded-out and grainy. slightly larger pic too. saved them all at medium and cropped. otherwise untouched.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:16 pm

watched timeline again the other night, not sure why, just suddenly felt like it, u know how when u watch a film again sometimes it seems better then last time and sometimes it seems worse, this seemed no different
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:28 pm

I enjoyed the book. hated the movie. it's not like michael critchton writes heiddegerian philosophy to begin with, so dumbing it down really isn't a good idea.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:29 pm

its a book? i honestly never knew that, might have to have a looksee at reading it sometime then, the premise is good but i will admit they gave it a shoddy cast to start with which didnt help, but i can think of many worse movies :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:36 pm

yeah. it's just an average action movie. richard donner really mailed it in. having read the book, however, it was a major disappointment for me. kinda like watching Troy and seeing Paris run away with Helen or having the "war" last 10 days after having read the Iliad or any of the hundred other references in Greek literature.

BG tonight. s'about it.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:54 pm

think i might finally watch land of the dead in a few minutes, as i fel like im living there lol, i feel almost dead today, no energy whatsoever
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:14 pm

s'one thing I can say for land of the dead: I was into it, and horror for horror's sake doesn't interest me (nor does the idea of watching jodie foster run around the world's largest airplane, screaming for her kid that may or may not be onboard - are they trying to one-up panic room</i>?)

picked-up a copy of sin city</i>. kinda bummed that it doesn't have a director's commentary. of all the shit I own with director's commentaries, this is one of the 5 I'd have actually listened to. fuqerz
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:42 pm

(nor does the idea of watching jodie foster run around the world's largest airplane, screaming for her kid that may or may not be onboard

huh? what do you mean?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:03 pm

<a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421239/>Red Eye</a> (2005), new jodie foster/wes craven movie that opens today. looks like scream meets panic room plus a little ring.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:05 pm

well from your little rundown of it there i have the utmost desire to never see that film ever in my life, didnt like scream trilogy at all (scream 1 was maybe watchable ocne only) panic room is gay and so is the ring (lol @ your "little ring" comment :lol: ) thanks for warning me
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby sacateca on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:02 am

the last sci-fi movie i saw was Screamers, and thought it was very good...with bigger budget it could've been brilliant, as it was only some mediocre special effects that lessened the experience somewhat.
sacateca
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 am

The jap version of the ring was way cool.. the US one suxed ass.. same with grudge
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to General