The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:59 am

Land of the Dead</i>. liked it. not a huge zombie fan. and I think the RE-type games are retarded. so I guess it must be a decent movie. same slow-mo zombies from the original (don't remember dawn</i>). iunno. it was that or bewitched</i>.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:04 am

did you just mention RE in the same sentance as a George Romero dead? Do you have a death wish or something? That's like comparing American Pie to Life of Brian good sir knight :o

@ the 90min thing. Personally I hate their decisions nearly always, I'm so glad that europe normally gets the better cuts of movies more often than not, although i hate the delays we get*... thats actually changing a lot though, europe can be a bigger market and we seem to get stuff like worldwide releases of DVDs just before the states. As far as runtime goes, the best directors do what is necessary and no more, so any trims made to get it to 90mins are nearly always intrusive if you ask me then. Some of the unoriginal trash is just bloat though and then i'm glad people step in.

*if they were really concerned about piracy maybe they should address this issue. Its the same with gaming, if nintendo gave a shit about their profits they'd sort out the pathetic deal europe gets, its the biggest games market but they take months to release games.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:45 pm

i agree on the piracy thing, they hype things up to make people want them more and more and then release it in one country then wonder why people get version from another country rather then wait for the country theyre in to get a release, most of the time filmwise by the time theyre released in england theyre coming out on dvd stateside, i know which i would rather get most of the time (except for really really good films like land of the dead). With games they cut things out of european games, like for instance re outbreak, while not being such a great re game surely its major selling point was u could play it multiplayer, so what did they remove for the uk release..... the multiplayer option

watched all 3 full seasons of Dungeons & Dragons 80s Cartoon on dvd yesterday, damn sheila is fine for a cartoon character, those thigh high boots, incredibly short miniskirt and she seemed well proportioned and it seemed the animators put her in poses where u know if u were sat there ud get a good view lol...... i digress..... pretty good series all in all i thought, eric the cavalier did get rather annoying at times iwth all his whining, and uni the erm unicorn looked like richard dean anderson in his macgyver era only with ginger hair and as a baby unicorn instead
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:26 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:did you just mention RE in the same sentance as a George Romero dead? Do you have a death wish or something? That's like comparing American Pie to Life of Brian good sir knight :o

:lol: 8)

first three eps of Battlestar Galactica. slowing down considerably. thought ep2 was almost complete waste. one was an interesting concept. three wasn't bad, but I'd rather they stuck more to the cylon threat material and less on the "human stuff." I mean, there's still a cylon on galactia. thus, the cylons should</i> still be able to track them. I'm also kinda annoyed how the cylon is/isn't able to help herself. she knows the detinator is next to her seat. she tells the engineer. she see's the h2o but has trouble saying it. yet she was sopping wet (presumably after just planting bombs) in the beginning and her memory was completely blocked out. I hope these "inconsistencies" are all on purpose or this is gonna get really hokey really fast.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:10 pm

got knightrider season 1 boxset the other week at bargain price £25 for 8 discs and just got round to watching it today, for some reason i started with knightrider 2000 - the movie...................... why oh why oh why oh why????? i wouldnt be upset if i never saw that film ever again, they gave david and kitt attitude adjustments which made them seem like obnoxious jerks, they replaced the trans-am with a 50s lowride chevy and later planted him in some horrible orange chevy, and to make matters worse they killed devon (edward mulhare) they had the worlds most annoying man as co president of the knight foundation, and even worse then that had mitch "shitface" pileggi from the X Paedo-files

still next monday knightrider, ateam and magnum pi season 2 boxsets all come out at £26.99 each so i guess im gonna be poor that week lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:09 am

ok. one more ep of BG to watch. liking it. some good stuff, usually involving starbuck and...is that wesley the vampire slayer? god, I wanna fuck the figment of his imagination.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:06 am

watched Miracle Mile last night, really a powerful film, well written, pretty well acted, not the 80s cheesefest u might expect.

At times it makes u wonder if the threat is actually real or if its all just the fault of the main protaginist, and it explores mans reaction to news that he risks being wiped out, and the risk 1 man would take for someone hes only just met.

Also the ending is surprising for a hollywood movie, the kind you probably wouldnt find today its rather bleak and stark ending

if you have never seen this movie or if you want to see it again check out the link on basslines pre/post apocalypse thread on fh

http://www.fileheaven.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35575

some good films on there or here is the link anyway

ed2k: Miracle.Mile.1988.DVDRip.XviD-KamuiX.avi  [699.15 Mb] [Stats]
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:47 pm

dinky wrote:ok. one more ep of BG to watch. liking it. some good stuff, usually involving starbuck and...is that wesley the vampire slayer? god, I wanna fuck the figment of his imagination.

You bloody americans, i bet you think all brits are the same person :lol:
hehe :)

You mean Dr Gaius Baltar? No its not, and they don't look much alike either but i suspect you've never watched buffy/angel to notice, and infact only one of them is really english. Wesley is infact from the states:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/
Lived in London for 13 years before moving back to the United States.

btw:
Married to Alyson Hannigan of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) on October 11, 2003 in California.

Didn't know that.

Unless you meant someone else on the cast? Then again you said figment of his imagination, so it must be the Doc :)
You've probably watched them all now, what's your take on the religion? Its a bit much towards the end don't you think?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

watched Charlies Angels (first modern movie) i was just in the mood to veg out and oogle attractive women (lucy lui not included then) in tight outfits doin stretchy moves with a throwaway plot that i didnt have to think about and would u know it, it delievered just what i wanted, infact id go so far as to say it was ok if incredibly far fetched beyond belief

might watch CA full throttle later if the mood takes me
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:31 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:You mean Dr Gaius Baltar? No its not, and they don't look much alike either but i suspect you've never watched buffy/angel to notice, and infact only one of them is really english. Wesley is infact from the states:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/
Lived in London for 13 years before moving back to the United States.

btw:
Married to Alyson Hannigan of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) on October 11, 2003 in California.

Didn't know that.

Unless you meant someone else on the cast? Then again you said figment of his imagination, so it must be the Doc :)
You've probably watched them all now, what's your take on the religion? Its a bit much towards the end don't you think?

yeah, I knew they were married. they look alike to me 'cept maybe baltar has a larger nose. similar slinky builds. haven't actually seen buffy/angel in a while. seen every ep multiple times, and you prolly knew that. :P there's english, cockney(sp?), irish english, scotish english. the rest of the distinctions are far more difficult for me to pick up (including fake ones :wacky: )

I haven't gotten to the final ep. just finished dl now. I like it. the preachiness of the gods/god stuff doesn't bother me (I really am an antagonostic, btw: iunno if god exists or not, but if he does, then he's really pissing me off). I wasn't wild about the use of greek gods and earth-specific theology that they use throughout the series, but it is</i> B sci-fi, completely derrivative in so many aspects without pretending not to be. just a crutch to make relating to the world of the 13 colonies (gee, I sure how an american wrote this) to something immediately intelligible to us here and now. anyway, my problem with throwing in the god card isn't so much that there is/isn't an absolute world order, but that people can know it. what bothers me still is that the cylons are all about the one god, the humans are out of the loop worshipping many gods. and I'm praying (figuratively, of course) that the writers/producers don't make the show that simple that one side is right or that the cylons are just executing the will of god. blah blah blah. I'll get back in an hour or so with a final verdict. 8)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:24 pm

:? not a fan of the obligatory cliffhanger season finale thing. I'm also more than a little miffed about the title: Kobol's Last Gleaming. I mean...does that mean anything...at all</i>? the planet's still there. humans are still on the planet. iunno. what I liked about the mini-series was that it stood alone. yes, it sets the scene for a series, but it stands alone. this...this I don't like. you have a whole season (13 eps in this case) to resolve a story arc, and they don't do it. sopranos does it. oz did it. even six feet under does it. there's a difference between finishing a story arc and dropping something new to think about for next season versus stopping in the middle of the fecking climax and then forcing fans to wait 6-12 months to see how the thing ends. am I the only one on earth who thinks that makes people forget</i> about the series as opposed to drooling for more? at least I didn't jump on ship right away. :?

since the story arc (not the whole BG saga, but just the friggin' arc that the last 3-4 eps were circling around) is ostensibly frozen in carbonite, I have no comment beyond the last post.

%^*(&*!!!!! :evil:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:26 pm

well usually dinky the channel replays the last series or last episode before showing the new ep/series so it makes u remember
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:14 pm

heh. yeah...if you're still haning on the edge of your seat 6-12 months later. btw: 700mb HD xvid rip was clearly worse than the various 350mb rips I watched the first 12 eps on. I know that could just be the ripper/encoder not the capability of the format, but damn. I was hoping to see mpeg4 blow-up with twice the filesize (presumably much greater bitrate?). I always assumed that HD recoding was the same as DVD in that you're going from mpeg2 to mpeg4 but...bleah. whatever the reason, this case was a bummer.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:05 pm

just watched charlies angels full throttle and holy crap, LOVE the scene with the pussycat girls hehe, if you thought the first film was way ott the second one takes the suspension of belief to a whole new level, although it was nice to see original angel jaclyn smith (kelly garett in the original) who incidently still looks ermarkably attractive for her age, it was also littered with cameo's the likes of bruce willis, pink, eve, the olsen twins etc. all in all a movie where u can jsut put everything to one side and just sit and drool over the women and enjoy the fighting etc nothing more nothing less which is good as the story wasnt much cop
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:30 am

/me shudders

heard such horrible things about that, I still haven't seen it. but then, I heard similar things about tomb raider 2, and (ok, it was stupid but) it was more entertaining than the first.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:59 am

@dinky, no i was more bothered about the religious ties to Earth in the last episodes with the president with cancer... the god thing seems okay, with the fanatical robots, but i don't think i can bear that 'the good book says' crap if it carries on.

there's english, cockney(sp?), irish english, scotish english. the rest of the distinctions are far more difficult for me to pick up

You didn't mention Northern English regions or Devon accent. Devon/Cornwall accents are the ones the hobbits speak with in Lord of the Rings, northern is yorkshire/lancashire (League of Gentlemen - Michael Palin when he does his coal miner accent in Monty Python (like in holy grail and the "princess" scene)) and then there's liverpool and newcastle that sound drastically different in their own way. Also there's birmingham which is funny. You'll easily be able to pick up on those, but probably not be able to place em.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:51 am

dinky wrote:/me shudders

heard such horrible things about that, I still haven't seen it. but then, I heard similar things about tomb raider 2, and (ok, it was stupid but) it was more entertaining than the first.

yeah like i said full throttle is way over the top for if u want a nobrainer and just wanna watch hot women then watch it lol

anyway last night i watched Where Have All The People Gone (1974), it was a mde for tv movie but it was pretty good even if it did have every cliche in the book in it (solar flares and a virus wiping out most of mankind, crazy ferrel dogs, other survivors turning nasty, one of the main characters being in a state of shock etc etc) peter graves (he of mission impossible fame) was the lead character of the main group and played the part of the father pretty well, despite playing out every scene in practicaly the same tone of voice and same style no matter if it was a happy, sad or serious event
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:05 am

wtf, CA2 film is dreadful!. its just like a long rap music video, you'd be better off watching MTV instead :roll:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:50 am

like i said the plot is rubbish but its got some nice cars and women in lol, and its summer, i dont wanna use my brain much or my head will overheat :lol: incidently theres maybe 1 rap song in the film if that, but i did use to love watching the tv series too so maybe thats it who knows, either way i think im gonna watch bourne identity today so i can sit tehre for 2 hours going "MATT DAMOOOOON" everytime he comes on screen ala team america
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:59 pm

lol. MTV video (if they manage to squeeze one in between reality tv eps) is almost</i> spankworthy tv :mrgreen:

@spud
yeah, the good book thing is kinda silly. but it doesn't bother me really (it will bother me very much if it's all true and officially endorsed by the series blah blah blah later). for now, it's just a prophecy. if it's really 100% true & preordained, then the series is practically over anyway cuz they'll be standing on earth well within 13 eps. even the (gulp, here comes a Star Trek comparison) Vulcans have their prophecies. I thought the fake/imagined/real hybrid baby that baltar and his hot head-chick were scoping out was getting way too hokey though. we're bordering on concpetion without sex, divine creation, midichlorians - down a dark and painful path, this way of thinking leads.

and having nothing to do with the divine intervention stuff, wtf is starbuck crying in helo's arms? c'mmon. that's just wrong. that's not the kinda shit that gets to her. the affairs of the heart with apollo and that mess can make her weak, but not this. what happened on caprica or the fact that aldama lied about earth.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General