The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Fri May 20, 2005 9:50 pm

kicking and screaming</i>
nary a laugh but harmless and not laborious to watch.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 21, 2005 12:09 am

watched octopus 2, as much as i like cheesey b-movies this wasnt really a good one unlike octopus 1, in octopus 2 the octopus looked more like an 8 legged dinosaur then an octopus, and just looked silly, in some scenes of the movie such as on close ups of the octopus' mouth ocassionally they reuse footage of the octopus' mouth from octopus 1 (noticeable due to the fact the octopus suddenly changes size, colour and texture), also in one scene (and this had me laughing because of its stupidity) the main female lead was on the phone to her boss (the mayor of new york) and she says "ok i'll just put you through" then she hangs the phone up BEFORE pressing the call forwarding button, now is it just me but doesnt it usually help to press the button first so there is still a call to put through?, terrible, go see octopus 1, shark attack 1-3 or crocodile 1-2 instead.......

unless your spud who would just laugh and mock as if farscape is any better :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Its becoming abundantly clear you haven't seen it to comment max :p However, i think begging over scraps is a good analogy to use on octopus/crocodile and in particular shark attack movies. Shark Attack is awful. You silly man :D

Anyway i watched From Cradle 2 Grave, with Jet Li... and i think he was called DMX. Hollywood, stop giving these talentless black rappers (hell white rappers too, lets not be selective :lol: ) jobs... shouting and being black (ie. street talking, ghetto style) does not make them a good actor. Pisses me off, all of his lines he just shouts his lines :?

Also watched Secretary again, that's a good film :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Sat May 21, 2005 7:15 pm

you know, what bothers me most about DMX in movies is that he always has to be this badass who, in a "surprising" turn of events, ends up being a softy with a heart of gold. It's like he can't allow himself to be the bad guy. weird, given his music.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 21, 2005 8:00 pm

Your post has an ironic twist if you say it like DMX does... ie shout it out without any punctuation... cracker.

I can't say I listen to rap, although i'm guessing that shit that was playing in the background of the movie was all his doing :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun May 22, 2005 5:26 am

he has (or had?) a fairly musical (original?) sound. I haven't heard his newer stuff in years, but back in 1999/2000, the sound was very catchy. it was actually closer to the stuff you'd get from metallica when they were good - in a weird way. I mean, it's not a mix of metal and rap (numetal) or anything, but as someone who generally dislikes rap and does</i> like angry white boy music, it was quite catchy. I think the album I particularly like was and then there was x</i>
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 22, 2005 3:18 pm

Brave attempt there dink but i'll pass :lol: I'm not quite sure how anything he could sing would sound like master of puppets or fade to black though. :)

Watched episode III and have to say how dissapointed with it... wow is it crap! WTF happened? Its sfx don't dissapoint but i'd rather play a game if i wanted that shit all the time. The only actor that isn't utterly terrible is Ewan McGregor... yeah i said it, he was the only one who can pull off those really shit lines without sounding like a tit and he's pretty much the only one that put something into a character that was being gutted like a fish by the movie. The emperor was okay at what he did, and this isn't a fault at his acting because he's a good actor, but when your given shit lines, stupid scenarios and ludicrous plot its a tad hard to fight against it.

Script was awful and really awkward... its obvious its shot infront of a bluescreen, and wow did the 'funny' bits suck out loud. WTF happened to subtle and subdued? I know its a kids film, but i really don't think kids need to be insulted like that, and i don't know many that would go for the new ones over the old ones that's for damn sure. So i don't think the 'its a kids film' can excuse it from being utter shit, even kids films can be good. I'm not even going to start on the lovey dovey scenes because it would insult your intelligence repeating what is obvious.

The lightsaber fights were okay, but there was little pacing, its hardly Return of the Jedi which imo, successfully blended fight scenes into coherant cinema. It also had more worthwhile scenes and better characters, which is probably why it worked. I know i shouldn't compare them, but it has to be done to point out that it can be done right.

The only bit of the entire film that was okay and stood out, was the flashes of all the jedi's getting killed.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 24, 2005 3:02 pm

I think it was sunday night that i saw them, but I saw a very excellent documentry about Terry Gilliam called Lost in La Mancha which i bet some people have already seen. Excellent documentry. I also saw this weird one called The American Movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/ , and boy was it strange.

At first i thought it was a spoof documentry, since everyone in are hilariously stupid rednecks. This guys best friend sound like... well remember that episode of South Park where Timmy is in a band, and there's that other rocker who gets jealous, well he sounds like that other band member who has a really high pitch voice "hey you guys, stop fighting"... its amazing :lol: The filmmaker just talks and talks, and talks, spilling this utter bollocks about movies and 'vision' when you can tell he doesn't have much of one (cruel as that might sound). He's on the bottom rung in terms of society, they really are all renecks... it really is a good documentry. I don't know quite how to put it.

Yet "American Movie" is brutally honest in its treatment of Mark. While it allows his dreams of making "the great American film" to fly free on film, it also captures a life filled with lower-class constraints and realities. Despite all of Mark's desire, his motivation is frequently lost in a life gush with alcohol. Hence, the making of Borchadt's film, "Coven", goes from 6 months to 3 years and the movie suffers a bit from being drawn out.

You hear the central filmmaker blurting out this 'dream' mumbo jumbo about him making his movie, and all the effects he'll be using, but at the same time, you can tell he's really got a shit life, he has to deal with all of this crap, he's badly in debt, he has several kids but is desperately single, all the actors on the film are really amateur.

and once again i have to really wonder if its real or not, its so hard to believe it is actually real. Seems i'm not the only one that struggled to believe it wasn't staged:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181288/board/nest/15232429

So that was Sunday. I then watched The Nightmare Before Xmas, since i wanted to see how you actually should make a childrens film after seeing star wars episode 3.

Last night i made the mistake of watching 'The Long Kiss Goodnight', i knew i was in trouble when it said "A Renny Harlin presentation". Took me a second to recall the name and i thought 'ffs', and he lived up to his crummy name. The script and acting is awful, geena davis is hilarious, and the films scenes are stale and don't fit well at all. The only reason the film was made was because of the action sequences, and at least they were okay i guess.

The movie i watched after it was Hard Boiled. Had forgotten how immense that film is! :lol: Whilst i still think its a bit of a sloppy edit, and the scenes, like a lot of chinese films and low budget films don't seem as though they are cut together right, particularly when it suddenly cuts to someone on a boat for no real reason and lingers trying to show 'emotion'. The scenes don't fit and were obviously filmed as 'mop up scenes' just to splice in. But this hardly degenerates the film, when the action starts is amazing, everyone dies, from the bad guys who are being hunted, to the scores of civilians that just happen to be in the way, from the cops shooting other cops by accident, to the hospital patients getting the crap blown out of them. I mean the only people that don't die are the babies, and i get the impression that's only because john woe wasn't allowed to put squibs on them.. doesn't help the scores of people holding the babies.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 24, 2005 7:08 pm

well im back, god damn hotmail (as we all know) is the gayest thing ever, ive been locked out of my account since saturday dinner time (thats noon to all you yanks and posh ppl who refer to the evening meal as dinner) im still not back in coz msn customer support dont give a shit about ppl using free accounts so theyre "your problem will be addressed within 24 hours" is crap coz i aint heard a whisper from tehm in 5 days, incidently it occurs to me now that maybe i should post this in the tech help thread

*edit* which i realise is now on the hhah forum isnt it
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu May 26, 2005 6:48 pm

Okay, watched another Water's movie, this time Serial Mom. waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Pecker, this one is actually quite funny. Its weird and camp like his other films are but this one had much better acting and point. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 26, 2005 6:51 pm

thats the one with kathleen turner in isnt it?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu May 26, 2005 6:59 pm

yup, with the random "just look at the birds... chirp... chirp..." line, or however it went :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 26, 2005 7:38 pm

lol that is a good film, been a while since ive seen that actually, might have to do a search for it later
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri May 27, 2005 1:22 am

however much ripping this will get i dont care, coz it had sexy lady in it lol

Watched Blood Surf aka Krocodylus IMDB wasnt too bad although every character at the beginning were all hateable and annoying but they got better as they went on, the effects were laughable even by my low low standards so bad infact it made Nu Image movies look like star wars 3 in comparison, but it did involve lots of sexy women having to go through water with tight to begin with tops that jsut got tighter as the movie went on including a hilarious scene where the 2 main women were being chased by the giant saltwater croc who manage to run across a little freshwater watering hole so the croc cant get them, so they grab tehyre tits and go "huh yeah come n get um now ugly mutha fucka" at which point the croc realises theres a big path round the freshwater hole that he can get to them by and the lead girl goes "uh oh guess thats you get for being a croctease" cue massive groaning by all in the audience

Aussie Actress Kate Fischer being the hottest

maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 28, 2005 11:08 am

Watched two movies, I'd seen them both before but couldn't remember them exactly. First up was Donnie Darko (Director's Cut) and i stand by my initial opinion that this movie is waaaaaaaaay over rated. Its great, don't get me wrong, but people go on and on about it and its just got nothing to back that up.

I watched House of A 1000 Corpses and that was way better than i remember it, that seemed to get many mixed reviews and whilst it isn't groundbreaking or anything, anyone who claims its a bad movie are just being, well wrong, i can't see any reason it deserves ragging on. Its entertaining, and at least isn't a total hollywood piece of crappy teen horror (Texas Chainsaw remake, etc.). Some good shit :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 28, 2005 8:41 pm

during a dredge through the bottomless pit of bollocks that is english tv things were so bad that we ended up watching the last half an hour of jaws 4, my god its so bad even i thought it was terrible and as u all know some of the movies i like then for me to say it was terrible then it mustve been lol, michael caine mustve been seriously strapped for cash to appear in that, but at least it isnt as bad as that god damn annoying frog thing, i fi see another advert for it im going to go on a kill frenzy :matrix: :matrix:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sat May 28, 2005 11:38 pm

chronicles of riddick. all I could think of while watching is "wow. this is a lot smarter than episode 3." how did that happen? friggin "necromongers" for christ's sake.

watching rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Sun May 29, 2005 2:36 am

hmm...r & g are dead was hilariously funny at times and painfully slow at others. sure it's nothing like watching the play though.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 29, 2005 4:21 pm

Chronicles of Riddick's judgement I stand by, it would have been better as a mini-series. I enjoyed it very much, particularly being a vin diesel film that wasn't wank (like Picth Black), but it kind of was all over the place with the long segment in the prison... as a tv / mini series there would have been a lot room for more.

I watched A Fistful of Dynamite / Duck, you sucker! and i have to say, it doesn't not deserve the negative reviews it gets. Whilst its obviously not going to be good as the dollars or once upon a time in the west, its still very good and very different in its own right. it gets such a bad wrap comparatively to the others, but it really doesn't deserve it. Its long, and not as epic as Good/Bad but its damn good anyway, and is a lot different in approach. Going to buy it on DVD and its another example of how established critics are just all mostly sell outs and spineless imo,
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 29, 2005 4:27 pm

is that the clint eastwood movie? cant stand him lol, except in that one he did with the orangutan
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General