The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 15, 2005 4:31 pm

what, good ones? :wacky:

Its long but its brilliant imo. I have no problem with any genre in particular, nor any overwhelming style... okay, maybe those artsy films that are just shit and a director just screwing around and pretending he's making art. Those piss me off royally... some french films for the same reason too actually, but i'm normally quite forgiving on style, just not movies. If you waste $100million, that's a lot of money that could better have been invested setting up the British film industry that hollywood destroyed when their own market crashed and they pillaged the profits.

Britain desperate needs a film industry again. There's loads of great talent and actors, but there's no creative force anymore.

err... an aside.

A lot of my favourite films are normally pretty heavy on runtime, 2 hrs+, but i guess that just means they've normally got a lot of style and story.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 16, 2005 12:24 am

lol no1 is ever going to persuade me that crocodile 1 and 2 arent good films, least i didnt watch 2001 a space travesty... oh erm wait :wacky: although i watched it again the other day and its definately not as i remember it, maybe i was sober or something this time i dont know but when i watched it again i realised why u ripped it so much coz it really was crap, but i will never like lord of the rings EVER

incidently tho i do agree on teh state of brit cinema there is a lot of talent getting wasted, on the same thing though me and a couple of friends are working on a zombie movie and also a scifi movie, im not saying were teh next big stars of brit cinema or anything but were doin our best to put something back in the business
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 16, 2005 11:12 am

i need a video camera, there's loads of movie ideas i would love to make.

Unfortunately i have never owned a camera. I hopefully will get one eventually, then its just a matter of persuading people to make a horror movie. I got some friends who have actually done drama at uni so maybe i can trick some of them into being killed by zombies :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon May 16, 2005 2:31 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:urrgh i thought Big was really, really awful. I mean faecal matter on toast bad.

you must be talkin' about the Burbs, cuz I've seen Big about 20 times and don't remember any shit on toast.

spudthedestroyer wrote:i need a video camera, there's loads of movie ideas i would love to make.

Unfortunately i have never owned a camera. I hopefully will get one eventually, then its just a matter of persuading people to make a horror movie. I got some friends who have actually done drama at uni so maybe i can trick some of them into being killed by zombies :lol:

I prefer amateur acting in zombie movies anyway. gives it a more diy feel - although I hear the dawn of the dead remake is pretty good (got it in a two-pack with shaun and still haven't see it :? )
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 16, 2005 3:10 pm

one of my mates whose working on the movie has actually done video production at college and uni so that works in nicely, when its filmed i will have to get in touch with prism video or hollywood dvd for distribution :lol: (theyre the companys that constantly stock the £2-£4 dvds such as storm, crocodile, shark attack etc) as somehow i dont think real movie distrubutors will touch it lol

incidently spud if we do any filming up near leeds ur quite welcome to have a cameo
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 16, 2005 8:57 pm

lol, wow.. the status for a cameo appearance? :lol:

if its good, Fangoria do international distrubution too, if you want it out stateside.

@dinky, your not watching close enough, wait till tom hanks appears on camera.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 16, 2005 11:35 pm

cool, will have to actually get it finished first i suppose lol, who knows it could become a suprise hit, but probably wont lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 17, 2005 4:36 pm

Just watched Kingdom of Heaven and its nothing at all like Gladiator. I have idea why people compare them, beyond a sword and slim storyline traits that's about the only connection.

Its actually an alright film. Its not amazing or particularly new. Its well made and isn't unfavourable in any overwhelming way. Fight scenes are entertaining, character's aren't bad. Story is stupid, but then what else would it be these days.

If you thought Gladiator was shit like i did, then this shouldn't necessarily reflect any disfavourable attitude towards it.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Tue May 17, 2005 11:03 pm

well it's visually the same (techniques), which is to be expected.

it's one reject with a cause who saves "rome"

but most importantly (to me) was the way the narrative "preaches" its "morals" - painfully similar manner.

there isn't a vaguely original idea in the whole movie. but it's entertaining enough, and compared to what I just saw, it's the holy-feckin'-grail: Monster in Law</i>. J-Lo is quite pretty. but this movie was terribly terribly painful to sit through. I turned to one of the girls in our group who wanted to see it and said "this is like watching hillary duff: raise your voice all over again" and she gave me this look like I was outta my mind. (she chose raise your voice too - which she admitted was the worst movie of the year; pacifier is her frontrunner for this year). whenever they had to stop playing remotely funny gags & one-liners and actually make some progress in the plot, J-Lo would say something incredibly Hillary-Duffish, have some some sort of epiphany move forward. so I scoffed and the (same) girl says "it's a chick flick." sorry, but no. I can watch a chick flick. this wasn't just a chick flick; it was Lizzie McGuire age 30.

not sure if I mentioned this already, but also saw unleased</i>. waste of jet li. I much preferred bulletproof monk and the black mask, both being quite the indictment in different ways. still, it's about what it looks like on the preview, so hard to be disappointed.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed May 18, 2005 1:34 am

jet li wasnt in bulletproof monk it was Chow Yun-Fat (who is crap, i mean crouching tiger fisting dragons arse or whatever it was called, what the hell was all that bollocks about) but jet li is good, i did enjoy "the one"

just watched ep 1-12 of robot chicken
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed May 18, 2005 5:05 am

maxpayne2409 wrote:jet li wasnt in bulletproof monk it was Chow Yun-Fat

lol - no kidding. it was, however, one in a line hollywood attempts to cash in on the influx of hong kong expatriots in an incredibly cheesey premise (of course, tagging sean william scott with anyone would do that, but I actually liked rundown. go figure).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby GD on Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

LOTR:FOTR

gah appalling, camera work, way it was shot everything :roll:
May Boris be with you...
GD
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby dinky on Thu May 19, 2005 7:50 am

Episode III.

meh. ending was pretty good. way more material than could be covered in 140 mins., and that hurt every aspect of the <s>film</s> movie (although if anyone recalls the "love scene" between anakin and padme on Naboo, you're probably thankful for the lack of screen time available for that story arc).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu May 19, 2005 12:22 pm

I watched Dreamcatcher, another essentially good film ruined by a shit script. Reminded me of Secret Window for the same slopey and totally miguided writing style. I don't know if stephen king is shit, or its the script writers that are incompetant. I did like the big gray alien and snow in movies is nearly as good as rain in movies, but still that's not going to make it a good film. Easily watchable all the way through if you aren't a muslim or Jew (ie. aren't allowed to eat ham :lol: )

Where have i seen the alien leech design before btw? Is it in a troma movie?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 19, 2005 2:47 pm

i saw dreamcatcher once, and it is a terribly terribly shit film, it was a good film... then the aliens and the army turned up and from then on it went radically downhill at a speed faster then superman on steroids running the london marathon

it ranks in my 10 worst movies ever list, utter tripe
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu May 19, 2005 3:01 pm

for some odd reason, people pay a lot of money for tripe.

I tried tripe a dim sum a few months ago. gawd that shit was nasty. why not just cut up an old tire, put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and chew on that?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 19, 2005 3:25 pm

why would anyone pay to eat dreamcatcher? unless they like the taste of plastic lol :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu May 19, 2005 10:21 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:i saw dreamcatcher once, and it is a terribly terribly shit film, it was a good film... then the aliens and the army turned up and from then on it went radically downhill at a speed faster then superman on steroids running the london marathon

I dunno, i think it was the crappy skitzo bits when it got utterly terrible. In the same way they were done in secret window come to think of it. I guess that means its clumsy writing, and that means its stephen king's fault.

The over indulgence in those lame ass flashbacks too... yeah like any kids are that gay :lol:

Just needed a script and a point, the sets could have been used to a much better effect on erm... something else :lol:

it ranks in my 10 worst movies ever list, utter tripe

No way, you like a lot worse films :lol:

Take that 2001 Leslie Neilson thing for example, that's way worse and thats not even one of my 10 worst... its just shit :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu May 19, 2005 11:43 pm

ah but u see what raises that out of the 10 worst is it has leslie neilson in, and just for his work on police squad, naked gun, spy hard etc promotes any film hes done to a slightly higher status lol

but about dreamcatcher yeah i didnt like it lol, ive not seen secret window (im guessing you are referring to the johnny depp film?) stephen king hasnt written anything decent since IT! with the possible exception of kingdom hospital which was ok, and the langoliers which is so unbelieveably excellent that i think its greatness
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri May 20, 2005 3:18 pm

Secret Window is worse than Dreamcatcher. Dreamcatcher is way out of the worst ten movies... doesn't matter who's in it imo, that 2001 thing is way worse than dreamcatcher :lol:

I watched The Andromeda Strain, great film as everyone already knows. It finishes quite abruptly. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but the doctor didn't die when he jumped into the tank with the baby and the guy... erm i know they said the strain mutated, but surely not all of the seperate ones they had in isolation.... that's what i get for not paying attention.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General