The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 08, 2005 12:32 pm

i didnt like gladiator either, but tbh black shite down bored me to death too
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sun May 08, 2005 12:58 pm

well as a casual AoE2 fan, I'd say Kingdom</i> was interesting simply for the siege scenes. cool to see all the AoE stuff in "live" action.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 08, 2005 11:39 pm

OMG u like aoe 2 aswell???? i love it, still play it now, i cant wait for aoe3 it looks fan bloody tastic
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun May 08, 2005 11:58 pm

age of myth was aoe3. :P

no. I'm not really into that "new world" stuff. right about the time the west discovers gun powder, I lose interest. although I enjoy battlegrounds. go figure.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 09, 2005 6:10 pm

age of myth wasnt aoe3, age of myth was crap lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon May 09, 2005 8:36 pm

indeed, age of mythology wasn't age of empires 3. Age of Empires 3 is coming out soon and looks simply awesome, although i'm a tad concerned its going to be dumbed down to the xbox2 interface.

Take a look at number 3 here:
http://www.ensemblestudios.com/

Notice the british imperial soldiers :)

mythology is a 2.5 if anything. Age of Empires 2 is awesome, the only game that comes close is Rome Total War, and that's just as good in most respects, its just slightly less management :)

I watched Lemony Snickets Series of Unfortunate events since my little sister wanted me to get it. Is actually pretty good for a kid's film. Heavy on the gothic imagery... that's what i like to see.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon May 09, 2005 11:06 pm

and believe me ever since it was announced i was one of the ones eagerly awaiting aoe3 release, ive seen a video of it and it looks even better, screenshots dont do it justice
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Tue May 10, 2005 9:00 pm

are you worried about the dumbing down too though? I sure as hell am!

You see what they did to Dues.... loading... Ex.... loading... 2. I mean i wasn't a fan of the first one particularly but it took full advantage of the pc, but the second dumbed itself down to 3 year old hardware.

Really shitty.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue May 10, 2005 10:56 pm

i never played eus ex 2, i couldnt even be bothered playing the 1st one much coz it was a bit...well crappy

i dont think they will dumb it down, from what i hear its gonna be pretty advanced graphics for it, apparently hardly anyone will be able to run it full settings straight form teh box, unless u are rich and own teh latest of everything i guess
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed May 11, 2005 1:24 am

AoE3: what's the deal? you can play xbox live with it on your pc or something?

ps - I've been informed that the reason kingdom of heaven</i> was amazingly similar to gladiator</i> had more to do with what they're based on - stories/books by another Scott: Sir Walter, who also wrote Ivanhoe</i> which is also supposedly full of "keeping it in the family" stuff. iunno. never read it. not much a fan of crusade-era fodder.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 am

AoE3: what's the deal? you can play xbox live with it on your pc or something?

No, if it says somewhere you can play on xbox live then that means they've dumbded it down for the xbox.

Video:
http://www.gamesarefun.com/gamesdb/media.php?id=763
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed May 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Interpreter</i>
was quite good up till the last 5-10 mins. after that, it just screamed "test audience" and if not, then shame on the fucker who wrote that copout ending.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri May 13, 2005 6:37 am

I watched Life Aquatic. Great film, billy murray is always awesome in everything he does. Funny movie, check it out if you haven't seen it already. I know some people don't like Wes Anderson (when they don't get him mixed up with the talentless Paul W. Anderson I mean). To be honest, I thought Punch Dunk Love was a decent watch and I don't understand why The Royal Tenanbaum's is ragged on all the time. I mean nothing happens in it, but its not bad or anything i didn't think. Anyway, Life Aquatic is just cool i thought.

Watched loads of futurama, but i've seen them all so many times now. I also watched Bad Taste, which everyone knows is top titty of low budget movies. Found a DVDr of Re-animator but alas, it was censored so its obviously the cheap uk disc.

I think i watched sometihng else, probably something i'd watched before hence why i can't remember doing it :lol:

I got some movies to watch from a friend (whos taken all my movies to copy, plus all the babylon 5s and shit)... omen trilogy today i think.

Apart from that, got round to watching shit since uni finished... well I got an exam in computer graphics on tuesday and i know very little. I just can't revise... i never have been able to. I think i'll be able to wing 3 of my exams, but then i got an artificial intelligence one on the 27th and that's neural networks and shit... so i'm screwed for that one too :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri May 13, 2005 3:29 pm

I'll screw you for free, babe.

I also like Life Aquatic, but it took a lot of getting used to. thought it started off incredibly slow. but I am familiar with the jacques cousteau shit that it was spoofing. and it never pretended to be "real life" the way magnolia did (speaking of andersons). so that eased the "frogs from heaven" aspects.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri May 13, 2005 4:50 pm

i didnt like punch drunk love (thats with adam sandler right?) but i do like futurama :D ive been watching loads of family guy recently because its cool, american dad is really poor in comparison

watched shark attack 3, MY GOD forget bad taste, this movie has the most obvious "we used all the money on the biggest action scene that we cant afford any decent effects anywhere else in the movie at all" parts in it, like when one of the guys is on the jetski thingy and he goes into the sharks mouth, it looks like a bad effect from a 60s bopnd movie
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 14, 2005 9:00 pm

dinky wrote:I'll screw you for free, babe.

I also like Life Aquatic, but it took a lot of getting used to. thought it started off incredibly slow. but I am familiar with the jacques cousteau shit that it was spoofing. and it never pretended to be "real life" the way magnolia did (speaking of andersons). so that eased the "frogs from heaven" aspects.

I dunno, i really don't like slow movies if they're amusing. Maybe its because i'm a brit and am used to a lot of dry comedy. Sometimes wacky comedies just piss me off, probably why i can't stand all this american bog bot teen comedies like Road Trip, and EuroTrip and any other film that involves some trip of some kind and tries so desperately to be funny and can't even acheive a forced smile.

Was a tad slow though, but i guess that's needed to establish character. Plus billy murray is always awesome, so it worked for me.

@max, yeah that's punch dunk. I dunno it was okay i thought.

I watched the omen trilogy... one after another so you could see them get progressively worse :lol: The first ones great but the other two just... well they spoil the ending of the first one. I mean sam neill and lance henrikson aren't enough to justify bothering to make sequels for the franchise.

I also watched The 'Burbs... great Joe Dante film, even if you don't like Tom Hanks. Joe Dante is a top dude :) If you haven't seen the burbs, which most people will have, its one of those great movies.

For those who don't know who Joe Dante is, here's is imdb:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001102/
Can't stand small soldiers though. Been meaning to watch that new Looney Tunes movie, just cos i know its going to be crammed with movie references :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat May 14, 2005 9:02 pm

hey wow, look at this:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448190/

Anhyone know anything about it? Look at the writers and director's!

Looks like Tales From the Crypt / anthology revenge!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448190/board/nest/18818597
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat May 14, 2005 10:11 pm

yeah the burbs is a good movie, i also quite liked Big (i know its not dante but its an ok tom hanks film

small soldiers was crap, but on the plus side dante did gremlins 1 & 2, eerie indiana, matinee, amazon women on teh moon, innerspace, explorers, and some good eps of tv shows like twilight zone and police squad, all greats (although explorers has a really weak second half) he was also producer on jeremiah

LOL roger cormans directing it, its got to be great, hes done some grteat classics over the years, much better then cohen imo

incidently spud that looney tunes movie si pretty good, i enjoyed it, there is quite a few movie references but theyre mostly well placed, theres even a dalek in it i seem to recall, probably due to warner bros being the ppl behind the 2 peter cushing doctor who movies
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun May 15, 2005 12:10 pm

urrgh i thought Big was really, really awful. I mean faecal matter on toast bad.

Anyways, I watched Lawrence of Arabia last night, all four smegging hours of it. Great film, and unlike 'epics' such as LoTR, there really isn't anything that should be cut out in anyway (ie. runtime bloat). A bit pointless writing a review of it, its good, everyone knows it is :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun May 15, 2005 1:51 pm

it bored me senseless tbh, but im not into those kinda films
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General