The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:37 pm

rewatching my fri 13th dvd collection 1-10 & freddy vs jason (which i got cheap yesterady 2 disc version) so i now own every jason film hehe, also been watching mysterious cities of gold episodes, taking me back down memory lane
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:09 am

Now I watched Aliens with the commentry, which imo is essential listening/homework for everyone.. I've also just watched the Rock again. Comment? Nicholas Cage is indeed a mongoloid ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:25 am

but sean connery isch definately the musch bigger mongoloid mischter schpud, i wasch jamesch bond you know, give me a haggisch HA

on another slightly off topic i just found out paul ws (must stand for wanking shithead) anderson is now making a movie based on the series of "Driver" games with that tanner bloke in them, and also resident evil: afterlife, and suddenly any queries i may have ever had about whether downloading from p2p is right or wrong have instantly vanished to be replaced with the urge to hunt that...that... that THING through time and space until he can no longer horrify us with his movie projects, i say movie i mean drivel, i say drivel i mean things that can only be described as more horrifying then the decision leonardo di craprio had to decide to become an...... "actor" :lol: now now no giggling yes i said actor
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:56 am

I don't care about RE anymore, I don't see how it can effect my liking RE the games anymore... I've already been hurt, lol. I'll be impressed if its worse than RE2 cos that movie stank up the joint.

As for driver, don't care for that one. The game, or the film project. The story was crap in the game, the game wasn't very special. So whatever he does to that is beyond my concern :lol:

I'm still pissed he made AvP. I think 20th Century Fox have got the point with the alien franchise where they won't give a f*ck about the direction of alien films... they really run the franchise into the ground, and after the last two spin offs, they'll just hire another puppet to do Alien5 or a AvP sequel.

I think the term "gone to the dogs" is an apt one. A bit of talent on the writing and directing sides, someone telling fox to f*ck off and that their ideas are crap, and it isn't beyond redemption mind.... but like that's going to happen.

Anyone know of anything from Mr Clive Barker these days? I was watching hellraiser and he seems to have lost interest in films, which is a crying shame. Okay I wasn't overly impressed with his latter films, but he's a very solid writer, and has penned the stories to Candyman, Hellraiser 1/2 and some other films everyone holds dear.

edit: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301252/
Tortured Souls: Animae Damnatae (2005)

Not sure though, based on those toys, or the toys were based on the novella? Looks like its troubled anyways.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:37 am

Vanity Fair</i> - bleah. ok, I guess.

I know y'all are gonna laugh cuz it features neo, but I'm really looking forward to Constantine</i>
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:10 am

the re films dont stop me liking the games either but it would be nice if we were treated to a decent movie tie in to them, although while andersons involved i dont see it happening

i thought avp was a bad idea from the start as probably so did most here, the thing is lots of people today dont care about theyre movies anymore, they just want nice glossy non thinking films (probably because most people today cant think for themselves), i quite liked driver 1 and 2 as i have a fascination with classic 70s american muscle cars, which is pretty much the only reason i liked the games, didnt pay much attention to the story either, also the remake of assault on precinct 13 looks and sounds really arse and killing a classic aswell,

incidently spud did you see the later hellraisers? 5 and 6, utterly terrible beyond words, a disgrace to the original
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:48 pm

you know...I'm not sure which it was. I think it was one of the later ones, but I caught a piece of Hellraiser on tv and actually watched to figure out what I was watching. I thought it was RE cuz there were some mutant dogs chasing people. then I saw pinhead trying to convert some girl to the darkside or something and changed the channel :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:31 am

The latter hellraisers I have seen I didn't mind too much because they really took something totally different, they really can't be put in the same wave length. They don't masquerade as the first one beyond Hellraiser IV. The last two films are twin peaksy style weird indy horror movies, with a small use of the cenebites.

To that end, I really don't think they effect the franchise in the same way that Alien 4 did to Alien, by screwing up the character the previous sequels treated with respect. Similarly, the cenebites are pretty consistant over the titles, so they don't get as f*cked up, to use the similar analogy, as the latter alien films.

I think the 'harm' was done by the IVth sequel, and the V and VIth title do little. So I don't quite agree here that they disgrace the original, given that they can't possibly be any further away, and there's not much about the cenebites at all really. Almost a different franchise. I can't remember much about them though, but I think the 6th one has the lass from the first one back in it for a whille?

dinky seems to be describing the third one, was it the sexy Terry Farrel from DS9? :)

I would like to see number VII and VIII anyway, the 8th one sounds poor, but it does have lance henrikson.

Oh speaking of which, anyone seen Mimic 3? Wow, talk about superior sequels, thats better than the first, and second by so far its unreal. Okay it starts out as a Rear Window rip off, but its still cool :) That movie impressed me.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Daeron on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:36 am

just went to Theater watched: The Machinist

http://machinistmovie.com/index2.asp

Wot a freak movie. :-o
Daeron
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:39 am

ah the sexy terry farrel, yes hellraiser 3 is a good one, i like the bit where the dj becomes a cenebite that can fire cds at people

i have mimic 3 but never watched it, the first didnt really seem that great, except of course the gorgeous mira sorvino, on the subject of latter sequels surpassing earlier sequels, who else besides me and a mate of mine agree that in the jurassic park trilogy that jp the lost world can be forgotten as a sequel and replaced with jp3 as the sequel instead? i definately found jp3 to be a better all round film then jp: tlw
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:41 am

i have mimic 3 but never watched it

Well, given that I agree about
the first didnt really seem that great

Infact, I didn't think it was really that good. Its okay, but I prefered Relic which was also okay.

Anyway, totally different kind of movie, and way better regarding the third.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:20 am

cool might give mimic 3 a try later then, and yes i also prefer relic
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:46 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:who else besides me and a mate of mine agree that in the jurassic park trilogy that jp the lost world can be forgotten as a sequel and replaced with jp3 as the sequel instead? i definately found jp3 to be a better all round film then jp: tlw

JP3 was a much "tighter" film. Lost World was sprawling, incoherent, absurdist, and rather boring. Boring and incoherent being the worst crimes. Anyway, JP3 kind of went "back to basics," did a lot more puppet stuff for close-ups and wasn't crippled by having to be faithful to one of the dumbest plots on Critchton's resume. JP3 was also more self-reflexive; so it was able to poke fun at its own franchise - something it richly deserved after JP2. In retrospect, it reminded me of setting an Alien movie on earth (bring Dinosaurs into the city - where they'd be blown to bits in a heartbeat, btw). As much shit as the Devlin-Emmerich debacle that is Godzilla received, I immediately thought it was a far better sequel to JP than JP2, from the giant ravaging the city to the little babies taking the place of raptors.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:41 pm

Nothing that deep dink, it was Sam Neill ;)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:16 pm

hmmm what really is to blame then for the lost world sucking more then a cheap whore in a cock sucking competition? was it really a bad plot line? or was it just jeff fucking goldblum, or even worse both (although jeff goldblum alone is bad enough)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:52 pm

well...ultimately, I'd blame the director. he's been a demigod in hollywood for decades, so whatever vision he has, he is able to give the movie. iunno, could be wrong there.

I read the book. it didn't seem nearly as silly as the movie. but even in the book, the seed is there for idiocy in LA.

the malcom character in the book has more weight than either goldbloom character in the movies. I thought goldbloom played malcom well as a supporting character though. but not as the central figure. that just compounded the problem. the way the first movie interpreted the book...it made using him as the central character in the sequel not feasible. so spud's right - sam neil's character is a better grounding.

at the end of the day though: it's a better movie when humans are trying to escape the dionosaur's forest than taking seriously the dinosaur destroying man's city. has any animal ever</i> championed modern man "by strenght of arms alone"? it's just a dumb premise. a dinosaur isn't godzilla.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:52 pm

His character?

No, its just Sam Neill in general...
*Cue Omen Music*

:lol:

Yup, the best character buy far in the original was Sammy N, he was setup as the big hero and the logical sequel fodder.

a dinosaur isn't godzilla.

Neither is Rodan, but he gets the job done pretty well. :wacky:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:07 pm

lol spud takes any oppurtunity to mention sam, although i guess jurassic park goes without saying that mr n is gonna get mentioned, but anyway jokes aside, yeah i thought sams character was set up as a hero too and goldbum came in instead, i think i read somewhere at the time it was because sam neill wouldnt reprise his role as he didnt want to get typecast... guess by jp3 he hadnt got many contracts lol
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:50 pm

didn't he do a Paul Anderson movie? That would explain the dip in morale... :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:55 pm

well Lost World was another book-to-screen adaptation whereas JP3 was strictly a movie. unfortunately, the first JP movie adaptation pretty much determined malcolm's character as the stuttering jeff goldbloom. now I don't necessarily disagree with that casting. I thought JP was a great movie. but when Critchton based the sequel around malcolm (his malcolm, not the jeff goldbloom/steven speilberg reduction), it kinda threw a wrench into the movie. but as I said, there were bigger problems with JP2: namely putting a T-Rex in downtown LA (or whatever city it was). And even beyond that, the movie was slow going. there was never any flow to the narrative. kinda like this scene from seinfeld

"I've yada yada'd sex."

"you've yada yada'd sex? when?"

"weate dinner. had the lobster. went back to his place. yada yada. home by 12."

"but you yada yada'd the best part!"

"no, I mentioned the lobster."
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General