The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 pm

I didn't mind looking at jennifer aniston in a bikini.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:11 am

huh? i dont remember that bit, but then again i dont find her all that attractive, shes got a goose face
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Daeron on Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:43 pm

Just re-watched: Jaws 25th anniversary... how i love that move.
Daeron
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:52 pm

watched hot pursuit on dvd again last night
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:43 pm

lol, still didn't watch the Grudge, watched dark city instead.

I totally forgot about the flying bit at the end,. Dark City is so much cooler than The Matrix, desrves a better rep. Keiffer Sutherland though :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:19 am

Keiffer Sutherland though :lol:

i like the way you say it as though somehow keanu reeves is a better actor :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:43 am

whoa 8)
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Polityk on Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:10 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:Dark City is so much cooler than The Matrix, desrves a better rep. Keiffer Sutherland though :lol:

I wonder how many times you might have said that by now. :lol:

What's wrong with Kiefer? I thought his acting was brilliant in Dark City.
"When I was a kid we fuckin' respected our parents, we didn't fuckin' eat them!"
Polityk
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby dinky on Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:29 pm

what acting? :roll:

j/k
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:32 am

lol @poly, everytime Dark City is mentioned since imo its it's biggest problem. What with his speech problem in it, I don't think he played the part well at all. This is a guy thats supposed to have sold out the human race... kinda a Wormtongue as it were. He reminds me of the crippled black kid in malcolm in the middle :lol:

whoa

Keanu Reaves acting summarised in a single word :lol:
The slightly longer "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of oz" or "Excellent" are also acceptable. 8)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:34 am

Oh and I watched Bubba Ho-tep last night, since I now am a proud owner of the DVD. My crappy DVD player doesn't play NTSC well at all, so I think I'm going to go for a cheap second hand xbox and softmod it, now PCA has done a very excellent guide to modding the xbox with no chip :)

Anyone know anywhere to buy an xbox cheap, first or second hand?
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:53 am

<rant>

ok. so I saw Elektra with two english grad students. one's an M.A. the other a Ph. D. the M.A.'s an oral bowel movement on feet, doesn't know wtf she's talking about, thinks she does, and never shuts up. she also talks about getting drunk all the time and what drinks she's "mastered" mixing. fecking tosser. so basically she's a female dinky...but dumber.

the other one is actually intelligent, although doesn't quite realize how regimented and intractable her point of view is. she thinks hard about things and comes to a decision. but there's no arguing with the decision. there's no possibility of another, equally sustainable 'truth.' so unlike the other one, her opinions are thought-out. that's the major difference. on the other hand, she also liked The Village :o so it has become more and more difficult for me to respect her movie sensibilities.

anyway, the movie ends and I say rhetorically, "I guess I understand why jennifer garner wears high heels when she's supposed to be a fecking ninja, but wtf does she thrust her hips like she's strutting down a runway in every scene</i>?" their answer is, of course, that's what the objectifying fanboys want to see. that pissed me off. I am</i> the fanboy geek and I thought it looked incredibly cheesy, unreal, and downright stupid. I want to see the girl kick ass and take names. she don't need to thrust her hips like a super model to look hot. but even that's beside the point: I'd like the movie more if it were a better movie</i>. a large part of making it a better movie</i>, imo, is to drop the fecking hip swaying all over the place and actually run or walk calmly (as the scenes variously called for). but nooooo. they're all like, "but that's not what the fanboys want to see. don't argue with me here [idiot M.A. talking]. you're talking to girls who've spent years reading feminist literature." like that's some beat all fucking trump card. I wanted to mash her head against the wall. don't fucking tell me what I</i> want. I objectify women all the fecking time. it's not about that. I understand that's why</i> she shakes her hips like that. but am I the only fanboy who thinks that looks totally stupid for a character like Elektra, Tomb Raider, RE...whatever? I mean, Mila Jovich had high heeled boots, but she didn't shake her fucking ass in every scene like Elektra and Catwoman (be warned, RE2 was also a better movie - and that's no compliment to RE2).

</rant>
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Polityk on Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:18 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:lol @poly, everytime Dark City is mentioned since imo its it's biggest problem.

Can't help it, I really liked it. :oops: :wacky:
"When I was a kid we fuckin' respected our parents, we didn't fuckin' eat them!"
Polityk
Having trouble with tribbles

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Can't help it, I really liked it.

I really like it too :) Just not Sutherland's acting ;)

dinky, I think its a problem with female actors as a whole. Series and films are largely sold on sex appeal > acting abilities.
I've noticed the way they put the lasses in some revealing outfit and stick on the front of DVD covers with the similar aim.

I also get told off for flaming shit movies justly, for similar reasons. Its like everyone should be acceptance and not "speak ill of the precious things of the shop", when a movie is flat out shit. It always gets me confused when someone justifies AvPs existance on the basis "oh well the fight was good" (even though it was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly shit), they've wasted so much money and ruined two franchises just for a fight scene? They could have made a sequel to both films, then made an action film. But oh no, you mustn't criticise. Reminds me of the way critics are portrayed in the States, as unpatriotic and wrong just because they make a comment in criticism that is not just right, but damn right and needed to be said.

I also have a friend who has a HnD in being a plonker (or IT, I forget :wacky: ), who when I criticised a film and said its what's ruining the film industry as artists and financially in the long run and he said "you downloading is what's ruining the film industry". Oh dear lord, someone who actually believed that line :o Needless to say, the questions came up, how many DVDs do you own? how many movies have you seen? how many times have you been to the cinema? how often do you rent movies? Lets just say a conservative tally is in the high hundreds difference in favour of 'the bad guy', Mr Spud, who had seen and bought far in excess of Mr Plonker. I then took that opportunity to say that the production of such crap is doing permanent long term damage to the industry, far in excess of what downloading can ever do, in so far that an industry that has crashed so many times in the past, and each time survived based on revenue from its classics is going to be in deep trouble when the copyright for all its big classics have expired, and they have to live entirely on Catwoman (or similar drivel which may be able to acheive large opening profits, but return value in the long run is minimal at best). Why do you think Disney is so obsessed about violating/extending copyright laws? Take not of how many really classic movies they've had in the past 20 years (especially excluding pixar who have left them) ;)

I also watched the excellent Candyman. Really great film, one of the best in the genre and the obvious grand-daddy movie for The Ring in regards to storyline, theme and plot. I actually far prefer Candyman as a film to Ringu anyday. It has a superior plot, brilliantly filmed, and very entertaining. Ringu holds the odd scene over candyman, but as a whole I'd go for the later easily. Deserves a much higher profile than it does, and its IMDB score is sickeningly low. Especially for a 5 star movie, oh well, at least it gets 5 stars here and in every respectable movie magazine :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:22 pm

it's tough to do a highly rated horror movie; at least around here, it's tough - unless it's a low budget thing ala Halloween or Evil Dead...was Night of the Living Dead a little indy in its day? I thought it was but not sure to group it in there or not.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:44 pm

Night of the Living Dead was as low budget, non-hollywood, and by definition as Indie as they come.

Night of the Living Dead was made on a tiny budget, by an advertising company that wanted to make a film (and at which George Romero worked)... they were called The Latent Image inc. if you want to read up about them. Quote from empire:

Romero was working in advertising in Pittsburgh in the mid 60s, when the company he was part of, The Latent Image Inc., decided to try their hand at making actual feature films. The burning question was not, "What's the story we really want to tell?" but "What's the cheapest way to tell the story once we find it?". The entire history of independent American cinema can, arguably, be traced to that pivotal conversation

So it would be seem
was Night of the Living Dead a little indy in its day?

is like asking if Star Wars was popular in its day :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:17 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:
So it would be seem
was Night of the Living Dead a little indy in its day?

is like asking if Star Wars was popular in its day :lol:

so what you're saying is...

:wacky:

actually, I thought about something you said about romero signing on to do dawn of the dead or re or something but the studio thought it was too zombie like (:lol:) and then that made me think 'wait a second, he was going to do a studio video game flick?' maybe I was thinking of the wrong canonical horror flick. :oops:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:06 pm

Yup, Romero got fired for making Resident Evil too much about zombies... unbelievable.

And speaking of games, the official Romero Living Dead films have been bought and titles based on the proper Dawn of the Dead are already in development:
http://forum.dead-donkey.com/viewtopic.php?t=6762
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:15 am

oh my there is a god, ive for years dreamt of a game based around dawn of the dead (the original of course) lets just hope davilex never get theyre hands on any decent licenses, look what they did to miami vice and knightrider, DEATH TO DAVILEX

anyway i know exactly what you mean spud, i have an acquaintance who has opinions on what movies are good and whats bad and he also swallows up all teh tripe that they release nowadays with much gusto waiting for more and more to be dolloped on his plate like a particularly sloppy portion of gruel, he loves catwoman incidently and he is also of the school "that film was great it had a great fight/gore/nudity scene" even if the films arse ala avp, i spent a good 45minutes argueing over the merits of cgi when used properly, and how its overused by tosspots these days, basically sounding like some sort of elder spud, saying that this guy also bought pearl harbour on dvd so there you go :o
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:38 am

Watched Kung Fu Hussle!

Oh my word, that film is so awesome, so really funny... a film that's actually funny! Been a long time since I laughed like that. The knife scene alone had me in hysterics.

Parodies loads of hollywood films so well too, top marks, top writing, top directing (and its the same guy!)

Grab it immediately!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

PreviousNext

Return to General