The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Re: The last movie you saw...

Postby dinky on Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:48 pm

:lol: I thought ELF was surprisingly good (for farrell, dir. by iron man guy) while FRED CLAUS was pretty shit, but I feel no need to rewatch either of them ever.
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

meh, it's christmas, i may watch them again another christmas when/if i'm feeling festive.

The real question is, Surviving Christmas, does the christina applegate wield enough power to overwrite the shitness of the fact that ben asslick is also in the movie?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby dinky on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:43 am

hmm...it's a better movie than FRED CLAUS, but it's a completely different genre (one that I think you're genetically predisposed to hate). Butt (heh) yes, she's worth it. james gandalfini's decent in it too. I'm sure you'll be pleased to note he thinks affleck is an annoying twat too, so he knocks him out with a shovel to the back of the head. :wacky:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:35 am

Well the shovel to the back of the head sold it, aswelll as applegate lol, it will be watched tonight
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:03 am

well?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 am

it was better then i was expecting to be honest, thank you mr dink
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:03 pm

LotR Extended marathon on tuesday with a couple friends. 11:45am to 11:45pm. actually an hour or so less time than I anticipated. third movie is a mess. I agree with the green ghost criticisms, the endings are devoid of plot to carry them, the slow motion effect is abused, and there are no rangers to join aragorn when he goes into the mountain and then takes the corsair ships (also part of the ghost complaint). all said, easily the weakest of the three films and a complete joke that it won best picture, which is attributed to one movie for one year. :lol:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby dinky on Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:54 am

Although it saddens me to say this: skip it. it's an ok sci-fi action epic. but...well...you know what's what 10 mins before it happens *the entire movie*. umm...I had this borderline racist feel like jar jar binks or the "rave in the cave" scene from MATRIX 2. there are some beautiful shot, and the action is good. it's not retarded (ala michael bay). but it's very generic, and there's this lingering question about the savages/noble savages. I think the plot can work, but it needs more work. more detail. too much gets glossed...in a 2.5 hour movie. :o
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:26 pm

I always knew it was gonna be shit
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:09 am

Been watching stuff I've already seen, just on a collosal protected display. It makes it better.

Usual stuff, Bourne films, epics, good films. I'm in the uk, when I go back to spain I think I'll line up the Living Dead films.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:34 am

watched miracle on 34th street tonight, the remake, though i also have the original. Also watched It's A Wonderful Life the other day and really enjoyed it, first time i'd ever seen it.
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:58 am

dinky wrote:AVATAR (IMAX 3D).
Although it saddens me to say this: skip it. it's an ok sci-fi action epic. but...well...you know what's what 10 mins before it happens *the entire movie*. umm...I had this borderline racist feel like jar jar binks or the "rave in the cave" scene from MATRIX 2. there are some beautiful shot, and the action is good. it's not retarded (ala michael bay). but it's very generic, and there's this lingering question about the savages/noble savages. I think the plot can work, but it needs more work. more detail. too much gets glossed...in a 2.5 hour movie. :o

You have got to be kidding me. This knee jerk "man it sucks" crap is such petulant bull. I see this crap all the time on a lot of the movie boards i hang out on. People that watch so many films that they have forgotten how to enjoy them. Can't you just watch something and appreciate it for what it is.. a silly action flick, with gorgeous visuals, probably one of the most fully realized fantasy worlds every put on film, some awesome battles, a truly unique concept of Gia, one i have only ever heard of once before in a book called "the reality dysfunction".. and I read a LOT like about 3 sci-fi / fantasy books a week for like.. my entire life. You have just lost your wounder, your a jaded old man that can not see the glory around him though his own cynicism and delusions of intellectual pride.

Let go bro.. Seriously

Let go... relax, and let your imagination sore a little.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby maxpayne2409 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 pm

so because someone didn't like the film and you did they are old and jaded and wrong?
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:59 pm

actually, I said it was an ok but generic action "epic." it's too long and drags in too many places to be a really good action movie. it's too telegraphed to work on a more dramatic front - they fucking chant like the rave in the cave from MATRIX 2 ffs! And by the way, jynksy, the Gaia shit is in FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN. skedush.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:49 pm

dinky wrote:actually, I said it was an ok but generic action "epic." it's too long and drags in too many places to be a really good action movie. it's too telegraphed to work on a more dramatic front - they fucking chant like the rave in the cave from MATRIX 2 ffs!

no... in matrix2 it was a pointless scene resembling a video clip... totally irrelevant and stupid, while in avatar not only did the dance has a conceptual reason for being done, one that makes perfect sense and is, as with the rest of it, very well thought out, but also the scene itself was integral to the plot, as in with out it, you couldn't have the same ending.

dinky wrote: And by the way, jynksy, the Gaia shit is in FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN. skedush.

FF-SW had nothing to do with the gia concept in avatar... FF-SW was the traditional "real" gia concept from the real world religion.. avatar was something completely different. . . .

maxpayne2409 wrote:so because someone didn't like the film and you did they are old and jaded and wrong?

Well yea.. when you say thing like

Dinky wrote:HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
I've read mixed reviews, but i have to admit that it's a good movie.

Not that this film is total crap.. i can see why others like it... but i mean if you are going to pay a film in squeal what 6 or 7 now... and not give a film like avatar it due credit.. it just screams of being critical just for critical's sake.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:16 pm

dude, the hippie chant & dance had nothing to do with the plot. they *network* with "Gaia." no hokey chanting & dancing required. it had nothing to do with anything except some weird sort of "see? look: they're primitive and noble" message. stupid to its core and borderline racist.

FINAL FANTASY - the earth (Gaia) is alive (and sick) and in need of rescue.
AVATAR - Pandora is alive (and trying to stay that way) and in need of rescue.

you're gonna think what you're gonna think, but don't blowing smoke in my face and tell me it's the mist of life. this movie has major problems. it does a lot of things very well. the chanting thing was retarded, and the blue "savages" talk like one of George Lucas's Sepratist factions. that ought to tell you a little something about the chince factor.
:outsider:

edit:
Jynks wrote:
Dinky wrote:HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
I've read mixed reviews, but i have to admit that it's a good movie.

Not that this film is total crap.. i can see why others like it... but i mean if you are going to pay a film in squeal what 6 or 7 now... and not give a film like avatar it due credit.. it just screams of being critical just for critical's sake.

wow dude. DISAPPOINTED. did you even read the review? it's a review. you don't list everything. any idiot can watch a preview and see it has nice cgi, "aliens hardware," and lots of action. I expect better of James Cameron than I do from some shmuck hired to pilot Harry F'ing Potter. did I trip and accidentally slip my penis in your girlfriend or something? what's with the aggression?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 am

dinky wrote:dude, the hippie chant & dance had nothing to do with the plot. they *network* with "Gaia." no hokey chanting & dancing required.

omg.. you have totally miss understood it then. The chanting and dancing is in fact integral to the concept.

"So smart and yet so... wrong" - urgo (SG1)

dinky wrote:FINAL FANTASY - the earth (Gaia) is alive (and sick) and in need of rescue.
AVATAR - Pandora is alive (and trying to stay that way) and in need of rescue.

yes they both use "global" concept of gia.. yet avatars implementation and explanation of what gia is is fairly unique (i have seen it once b4).
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:00 pm

Sherlock Holmes
It was better than the trailer (which looked a bit like THE MATRIX). watching Robert Downey Jr. is a bit like Jack Nicholson: highly entertaining and then...you get the feeling you've seen this before (like a Hans Zimmer score). Anyway, the Jack comparison was that he (and Johnny Depp, I suppose) play these wildly eccentric, kooky/crazy characters. As far as this one compares to his others, it's nothing special, but it's entertaining if you find the others also entertaining (Depp's kookiness couldn't save PotC2, but it was mildly entertaining). I liked Jude Law's Watson. I don't know why. There's a marriage subplot that I found a bit superfluous, and they did their best to turn Holmes & Watson into Oscar & Felix or Riggs & Murtaugh. Rachel McAdams' character is somewhat interesting and plays an important role in the movie, but don't expect much of a character there (in comparison to the other leads). The same goes for the villains. I did read all the Arthur Conan Doyle short stories, and the way things were solved - or resolved - was fairly close...at least as far as a movie adaptation is concerned. I was never really impressed with the books, though. I thought they were kind of annoying in that the so-called clues could have meant one in a hundred different things and so on and so forth. but that makes me not a fan to begin with. the movie handled it well (for the most part - the short stories were like that too; there were some "explanations" that thoroughly defied logic).

overall, it's entertaining enough to pass a couple hours, but it's my least favorite guy ritche movie (I thoroughly enjoyed the underworld criminals movies) and had no expectations for this one (as opposed to a certain other movie this holiday season).
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:00 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Watched jurassic park, 1080p on my projector. I have to say, most of the SFX have really stood up to time, I'm quite impressed.

I mean its got the usual mistakes, here and there, like the background/foreground composition (seen at the boundaries), and where the shadow is wrong so the cgi elements look too bright or blurry, but mostly it fits in... the scene where the T-Rex breaks free still looks fantastic. The mix of puppetry and cgi is spot on too.

As for the film itself, its a good film but I prefer Westworld which is actually the exact same film (same writer too :lol: ).

I'd like to see Speilberg do another horror film, Jaws was great and he seems to be able to walk the genre as well as the best of them (if not better?).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm

i watched all 3 Jurassic parks again recently, and have to agree, Number 1 is my favourite and still looks awesome
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General