The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:59 am

Just watched:
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy
on bbc2 :)

ed2k: Kids.in.the.Hall-Brain.Candy.1996.DVDRip.DivX-RETRO.avi  [698.14 Mb] [Stats]
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:04 am

lol i saw that film way back in 97 i think, it was a bit shit as i recall, by a bit i mean a lot :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby Jynks on Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:14 am

I just saw "Open Range" a Kevin Costner western...... yes I can hear image your comments but I really enjoyed this flick, while still not a patch on good old clints movies, witch are the DIFINITIVE westerns in my opinion, it was still very good.

It went for a more realistic style and I found it was very enjoyable.
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:45 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:or even worse Tru Calling (low blow :D )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ah...spud, hun. you really ought to get a :rofl: emoticon for situations just like this.

doesn't farscape have that Cats reject who used to be blue and then went (or got replaced by) something from...well...Cats? cuz shit like that is what makes sci-fi channel the disposable waste of bandwidth that it is. and I think maybe they throw too much light on all those alien muppet characters. the one klingon clone looks rubbery (yeah, not a puppet). the other dude is..well...a muppet (rygel). the blue chick looks like she's straight from Earth: Final Conflict. The S & M guy cracks me up just to look at him - Darth Vader mixed with Zed's Bitch. Pilot looks decent enough, and I don't think that's an accident - there's not a lot of ambient light for all his rubberiness to shine through. face it, Farscape looks</i> stupid. so yeah, I can see needing a lot of patience to look past that, but dude: if something looks stupid, it's fair game for the stupid label - dinky quality control code, rule #248, subsection 34c, paragraph 2G. :P
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:36 pm

ah...spud, hun. you really ought to get a :rofl: emoticon for situations just like this

rofl and roflmao or lmao are words i REALLY hate mainly due to the fact that nobody ever actually does them, nobody ever actually decides oh that was funny ill get off my chair lay on the floor and roll around laughing.... and looking like im having a seizure/spack attack
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:37 pm

I fell outta the seat during Big Lebowski. :mrgreen:
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:48 pm

ah but u dindt say rofl to anyone before and i bet u werent rolling around on the floor during the shit lebowski
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:05 pm

@dink, don't quite follow you. There was a blue lass from series one... she was killed off (Zahn). Then there was a grey lass who was in it since she arrived (Chiana)

The only disposable character was the dude with the mask, who pops in and out (Stark). But he wasn't really a part of the central 'crew'.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:08 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:ah but u dindt say rofl to anyone before and i bet u werent rolling around on the floor during the shit lebowski

it's an emote. and I have been doubled over in laughter plenty of times, sometimes rolling on the ground (although never in a theater). I mean...I did go through high school. lots of crazy shit.

but...umm...are you always so literal or, in the immortal words of andy dufrane, "why are you being so obtuse?" I don't say "L. O. L." to anyone either. :wink:

@the spudman: heh. I meant the series (i.e., the show, not a particular season) is disposable, completely and utterly forgettable. yeah, I looked up their names at farscape.com. out with the blue chick and in with the extra from CATS. Hey, didn't she join on right about the time CATS ended its broadway run a couple years ago. :P
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:51 pm

I'm sorry but thats very accurate if I got you right, disposable in what way? Because from series 2 onwards the story ark is huge and it sticks to it on an off. It does have solid storylines and isn't disposable at all. You mean like Sliders / Outer Limits / Star Tek style, "story in isolation" right?

That is seriously not what its about, when it comes to what people love about Farscape, if it was just that I sure as hell wouldn't like it as much as I do. Why do you think everyone is so fanatical about it? Everyone needs closure to the huge story lines that were in full swing (although I loved the cliff hanger because it was such a slap in the face... no writer would purposely be that daring and I love stuff that dares to be different :lol:), because not doing so is like missing the ending from a shakespeare tragedy.

Minor story spoilers:

Series one is pretty directionless until Scorpious appears, then its totally about worm holes. By series 2, Scorpious is hell bent on killing/mind fucking crighton until he gets the technology and the plot revolves round that. By series 3 the Scarrans appear, and you find out more why the peacekeepers want the wormhole technology because they are bluffing the scarrans with weapons of mass destruction (understatement of the century since you get to see one ;) ). Then the scarrans pick up on the bluff, and by the end of series 4, both groups are trying to extract that information. The mini-series is the aftermath by the sounds of it, an all out war of Peacekeepers vs Scarrans. That's why there are so many two-parter (and three parter in regards to the ultimate finale of series 4) episodes, because quite to the contrary, the story is pretty much totally undisposable and an hour isn't enough to get each act of the story hammered out.

Then there's the subplot of getting home (this is present in series 1 if anything), the Crighton / Aeryn romance (which is pretty major to be fair), and what have you.

Series 1 has absolutely none of these to be fair, so that's where your getting it, its all little scifi outting into character and environment, and as far as that goes it still does a decent job at it. However saying its disposable will get you laughed off. There are a number of in isolation episodes, but not more than any other series created todate.

ps. what about:
there's a thread in site development if u have any other smilies you want to suggest. Very simple to upload em now, can do it without ftp :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby spudthedestroyer on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:59 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:lol i saw that film way back in 97 i think, it was a bit shit as i recall, by a bit i mean a lot :lol:

actually as far as stateside (canadian?) comedies go, I thought that was actually pretty humerous. Especially the drugs company boss :lol:

It's very subtle quirks in the middle of the stupidty that made it seem very funny.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:50 am

spudthedestroyer wrote:I'm sorry but thats very accurate if I got you right, disposable in what way? Because from series 2 onwards the story ark is huge and it sticks to it on an off. It does have solid storylines and isn't disposable at all. You mean like Sliders / Outer Limits / Star Tek style, "story in isolation" right?

heh. no. not commenting on the story arcs. more like - this is so fecking plastic, it's funny. how can anyone take these jim henson rejects seriously?

as for the laughing me away, I think a hell of a lot more people would laugh at people for liking</i> the series than not. and before you mention the fact that "the fans" brought the show back, the same thing applies to Roswell, and you don't see anyone going on about how brilliant that show was. that said. yes, the couple episodes I saw after the first season were darker. but then...the big bad guy was the darth vader/zed's bitch reject. you have to *literally* look past a whole lot to really get into this series.

ps. what about:

I prefer this. maybe just used to it. maybe cuz it articulates the rofl action better than the others. but anything that shows a higher degree of laughter from the regular *lol* is great imo.

back on topic: spidey 2...again. there's NOTHING to see. this summer!

old school on cable.

about to see freaky friday.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:33 am

Finished The 5th Element today. Caught a bit of both Pred2 & 1 on FX today. :mrgreen:

Finally caught Smallville on. I used to work Wed nights, so I missed alot. Yes yes, I know it's a comic crossed w/ 'white kids with problems' show, but it's still good minus the music promoting. :roll:

Re FarScape: I'll join Spud on this choice. I like it. Great quirky characters, cool space scenes, new shit around every corner, guns, a love story, space ships, and fucked up villians. Somehow I think you liked at least 1 of the Star Wars movies, yet I don't believe you gave the aliens in that shit like you do FS. I think you're trying to nitpick it for fun. If you want to nitpick, try Star Trek. Tons of inconsistancies & horrible stories/characters there. :twisted:
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby dinky on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:57 am

I'm with you on one count: Farscape is preferable to most Star Trek in the past 15 years.

side note on Smallville: the guys behind it did the story (as opposed to the script) for Spidey 2. unfortunately, Smallville is an ongoing series, which means they try to string it along as long as the network will pay for it. spidey is a movie. it's more or less one shot (of course, it's also a franchise). but the revelations that happened in Spidey 2 were essential to the emotional progression of the movie. It makes me kinda sad that Smallville can't make those moves. it's always going to be a tease, and the show will be stuck in this loop of perpetual "adolescence" until, if they're lucky, the show comes to an end, and they are given the opportunity for a finale. then they'll finally put some resolution on the lana-clark fiasco. on the other hand, Lex's character seems to be going places (inevitably Supe's arch nemesis). still, I'm getting really tired of this "I can't keep lying to Lana. I can't tell Lana the truth" syndrome. Thank GOD the Spidey franchise is moving past that with MJ.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:31 pm

Thank GOD the Spidey franchise is moving past that with MJ

now thats a funny concept, Michael Jackson as Spidey, id watch it for sure :lol:

incidently dinky, the lana clark thing was resolved kinda towards teh end of season 3 when she left for paris forever and ever never to be seen again with her horrible fucking face :matrix:, i did find it most amusing what happened to chloe tho, and petes just a whiney bitch who wants to desperately be a regularly involved character like how chloe and lex were used a lot more in season 3 but thankfully petes bitchness was just too annoying so he hardly appears in season 3 thankgod

with regards to the cant lie to lana cant tell her the truth thing i think he should just get rid of the ugly bitch and get himself some proper fit pootie tang
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:30 pm

no comment on smallville (I hated it but haven't seen it to be honest).

Finished The 5th Element today

No comment on that? People seem to love or hate it, and there's a couple of people that are non-commital like me :lol: Then again Chris Rock is in there, so it falls out of favour fast if you think of it like that :mrgreen:

Spiderman is erm... special. I'd say it a better attempt at a comic book, but I'd back the 1988 Batman over the first one (haven't seen the second yet).
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:14 pm

maxpayne2409 wrote:
Thank GOD the Spidey franchise is moving past that with MJ

now thats a funny concept, Michael Jackson as Spidey, id watch it for sure :lol:

did you just look at the SW re-edits thread? :lol:

incidently dinky, the lana clark thing was resolved kinda towards teh end of season 3 when she left for paris forever and ever never to be seen again with her horrible fucking face

imma go out on a limb and say that won't last long.

with regards to the cant lie to lana cant tell her the truth thing i think he should just get rid of the ugly bitch and get himself some proper fit pootie tang

:lol:

RE: 5th Element. imma bruce willis fan. mostly cuz of last boy scout, but everything he does is joe hallenback. so I could watch it just for that attitude. best lines in a movie ever</i>: "I spilled my warm cup of piss." "the screaming part, I believe." "water's wet. the sky's blue. i still love me wife." great shit. I don't remember Chris Rock in 5th Element though. There's Chris Tucker....
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:58 pm

same shit lol

i dunno where chris rock came from... he's that annoying comedian whatever his name is. chris rock is that other annoying comedian isn't he? :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby mw2merc on Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:48 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:No comment on that? People seem to love or hate it, and there's a couple of people that are non-commital like me :lol: Then again Chris Rock is in there, so it falls out of favour fast if you think of it like that :mrgreen:

You do mean Chris Tucker as DJ Ruby Rhod don't you?

Shit, if I based watching a movie just by who's in it, I'd have never watched Blade. After Passenger 57, I swore not to watch another Wesley Snipes movie, till I saw the trailer for Blade.
"I put the KILL, in SKILL!!!"
"faecs occurrere"
"Better you, than me!"
mw2merc
The Ninth Passenger

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:53 pm

lol chris tucker makes me laugh in small doses, and certain films, 5th element and money talks, other then that i cant stand him, whereas chris rock is just a black rascist who isnt funny, unlike richard pryor whose hilarious

i liked 5th element, blade im not really bothered about, i dont hate it but its a watch once then discard forever kinda film for me, i just couldnt be bothered watching blade 2
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

PreviousNext

Return to General