The last movie you saw...

Sci-fi related and off-topic banter can go here. All posts allowed unless specified otherwise in the rules. Please refrain from posting flames, personal information, using this board as a private message system or help questions

Moderator: General Mods

Postby dinky on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:35 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:well it is 3 hours of the best cinematic specticle you'll have seen in years, you don't want to be tired for that... nor have adverts in it,

premium cable (hbo, cinemax, showtime, encore, the movie channel, etc.) is uneditted and no commericials (you pay extra to have it added to your channel lineup). unfortunately, they usually pan & scan'em.

@max - blasphemer. :matrix:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jim123 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:18 am

id much rather spend 3 hours watching gb&u then lord of the rings, ill give it that

I would just about do anything than watch LOTR.
Jim123
42?

Postby maxpayne2409 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:15 pm

im guessing dinky likes Gay Lords of The Ass Rings?, lol well dinky im always one to court controversy, take it out for a meal and get ti a box of chocolates lol

jim dont let dinky here you say you would do "anything" then watch lotr, dinky would force u to watch it while being his bitch, what do u think happened to paulscream22 :lol:
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Location: Sliding To Different Worlds, Same Planet, Different Dimension

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:56 pm

I have no strong dislike of the LOTR movies, but the reason g,b&u should be a more preferable movie is because its significantly better in every possible conceivable way.

I think the quote from tarantino is the best summary:
"Cinematically Perfect" :)

I watched Young Frankenstein last night, since i got it on DVDr. I had only seen it once a long, long time ago, its a good film parody, but wasn't as funny as i'd hope from movies with that kind of reputation. Good though :)
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby dinky on Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:27 pm

star wars anh
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:06 pm

i'm always dissapointed when i rewatch the star wars movies, well actually Empire Strikes Back doesn't dissapoint and Return of the Jedi is always far better, its just ANH that does it... Phantom Menace is far worse on repeat viewings, I haven't been brave enough to watch Attack of the Clones again for quite a while. :(
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jim123 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:32 am

This is what I do in order to enjoy Star Wars.

1. I watch The Phantom Menace.
2. Next I watch Attack of the clones, after watching The Phantom Menace anything looks good.
3. After watching the first two, The New Hope seems like the best movie
ever made.

Just kidding I enjoy 4, 5 and 6; I just have a hard time with the first 3. Lucas had an opportunity to make a classic but slid into (I was going to say B-movie, but even that is to good for the first 3) mediocre status with the first 3
Jim123
42?

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:24 pm

I gotta say, I know the dialogue is cheasy in ep4, and I kinda understand people bashing mark hamil for not being able to act. but I think he carries himself well. much better than his counterpart in ep2 - but then again, hamil's given lines weren't nearly as bad.

gotta agree with spud though, rotj gets better upon repeated viewings. the ewoks have always been a distraction, but even there, they die too. TPM gets worse and worse. AotC is cool in the arena battle scene. that was done pretty well. but I think the "love story" on naboo was the low point of the series - still a better movie than TPM though.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:19 pm

I saw RotS again today since people were off to the cinema. Was a mild improvement, might have been just because it was a better screen than the last cinema i went to, but everything that I said sticks i think. I still can't remember many scenes from it.

There were adverts for chronicles of narnia that looked really shit, Batman Begins that looked poor (but i saw a ten minute preview that made it look much, much better, even if his voice makes me laugh :lol: ), and Mr and Mrs Smith which looked turd too.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jim123 on Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:27 pm

I watched All Quiet on the Western Front last night. I have to say that it did certainly open my eyes to the fact that you can convince people to do just about anything by repeating a patriotic slogan, show soldiers with girls, promise them land or low interest loans.

Luckily in our times war is not as glorified as it used to be, for most countries at least.
Jim123
42?

Postby spudthedestroyer on Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:28 pm

oh damn, forgot to mention League of Gentlemen: Apocalypse is out at cinemas today... I have to see that sometime!
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:30 pm

what is that? nothing to do with the allan moore comic, I think.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:24 am

lets jsut hope the log movie isnt crap like the third series of the tv show
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:52 pm

The third series of the show was ace, it wasn't as funny as the previous ones but it was really great, excellently well made and very horror oriented. Far sicker than the previous series, but I guess people just need 'stand on rake' humour and since it didn't have a laugh track too I can understand why people don't like it.

My little brother saw the movie today and says its brilliant so hopefully when i get round to seeing it it won't dissapoint.

@dink, no totally unrelated. Just like Allan Moore comic has nothing to do with the film "The League of Gentlemen" from way back in time, which they both stole their name from.

You really have no excuse for not seeing the League of Gentlemen:
http://www.dead-donkey.com/modules.php? ... ent2&id=12

Recommended watching it in order, series 3 is pretty brutal for the unknowing.

Incidently, fans of the new doctor who should note that:
This fella wrote a butt load of episodes for it
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby dinky on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:09 pm

ooo. I like the water paint flag. looks interesting. doesn't sound like horror. :?
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:27 pm

make sure you watch series 3 and the xmas special eventually then, but watch s1,2, xmas special, 3 and then live and the movie :)

Just watch it anyway, its very macabre.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:30 pm

papa lazerous is brilliant, one of the best characters in my opinion, by crap i didnt mean the third series was crap in general, just crap compared to the other series, it did have some better episodes then the other series like the one with legs akimbo theatre group ("put yourself in a child") and the sex mad woman and her timid husband, and i did like the way it focused a lot more on more of the lesser featured characters, the bit with the fiat panda as kitt was great "hello dave lets solve some crime" was genius.

anyway ill prolly see the movie too, the trailer looks pretty funny, the bit with tubs on the toilet "ive just made a little brown fish" had me laughing

just watched Mean Guns (really good film)
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:36 pm

Yeah series 2 was amazing, but i really do like series 3, people give it stick for being a lot darker and its a more dry comedy style since its like they were making a movie for each episode.

The way everything merges into one, the storylines, the film making techniques of that last series of superb.

Oh and the best episode is the xmas special, I hear they are making another one so that's great news (for me at least).

@dink, the film:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435687/
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby maxpayne2409 on Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:48 pm

cool glad to hear theres a xmas special, i loved the other xmas special, especially the part with herr lipp when he "closes" his dressing gown because its cold by swinging it widely open first so the lodger bloke can see him in his pants

incidently the guy (mark gatiss that one i think) didnt jsut write episodes for this new dr who, hes written loads of dr who books and i think he wrote a few of the later mccoy eps (but i might be wrong in that one) but i know he did loads of who books, mostly the missing episodes book and the newer old dr storys
maxpayne2409
Hacked the Mainframe

Postby dinky on Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Empire.

started jedi. decided to stop after luke killed the rancor. wasn't going to be able to stay awake. didn't wanna miss the barge scene.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

PreviousNext

Return to General