Battlestar Galactica (2003-200X)

Scif-fi Series... Farscape, Star Trek, Sliders, etc.

Moderator: Misc Mods

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:14 pm

series 2 is tbc still as far as i know
Series 1 and the movie are obviously out.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer
Rear Admiral Lieutenant General

Postby tiberius on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:26 pm

tbc? "to be concluded"?
Yes, the 2nd season has 20 eps and next on TV is 2x08. But maybe s/o would know if we have to wait 6 months or a year for the DVDs.

By the way, thank you :D :D
To Be Continued...
tiberius
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby spudthedestroyer on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:46 pm

tbc stands for "to be confirmed"
I didn't mean concluded/continued, but thinking about it, have they actually finished filming series 2 yet? I don't think they have, so i guess both are applicable anyway.

I think the purpose of the break is to finish filming, only in the states do they film half the series then film the rest. Probably because of the length of the series and the ability to cancel midseason or something gay.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Blade Runner on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:00 pm

They have just started filming ep 211 and 212
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby tiberius on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:46 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:Probably because of the length of the series and the ability to cancel midseason or something gay.
:-o :-o

It's frightening they could have any reason to cancel a show without finishing the season (for example Odissey 5, it was a crime).
Thanks to both for answering :D
To Be Continued...
tiberius
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:19 pm

or firefly!!!

What is the deal with this show anyway? Are we ment to not hate the cylons? The show keeps going on about how evil humans are but the cylons are just wicked!!

Spoiler:
Like in 2x07 when boomers gose "and you have to ask us why??" Like it is US that is all bad cause we want to kil every cylon we see

Well DIR.... As if those cylons would be given ANY lee way.... they would all be shot on site and that is it... not trying to "under stand" their feelings...

I mean I really like this show but somtimes I just do not understand its angle. I mean they nuked like 12 planets or somthing ....
<---------- Top 20 Scifi Captians -------->
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby mxyzptlk on Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:18 pm

This depends on your point of view.Cylons were created to 'serve' humans so they were basically slaves.Is it that bad to rise up & crush your oppressors?Besides,they have feelings & believe in a god so they can't be all that bad :wink:

kill feed repeat
mxyzptlk
The Ninth Passenger

Postby Blade Runner on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:08 pm

The ratings are better than the Stargates and its making scifi the number one cable channel on Fridays
Blade Runner
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:06 pm

spudthedestroyer wrote:I think the purpose of the break is to finish filming, only in the states do they film half the series then film the rest. Probably because of the length of the series and the ability to cancel midseason or something gay.

in addition to being able to cancel a series w/o having to bear the cost of 10-14 eps that the network will never air (they usually agree with production companies on cost and purchas before the eps are made cuz the net is ultimately responsible for how much people get paid), there is also the planning when to air new eps. for example, you'll almost never see new episodes air during christmas or, more likely, a few weeks after. there's always a lag cuz of college football bowl games, people going on holidays (and therefore not watching regularly scheduled programs), and of course they don't film for a few weeks thereabouts also. not to mention that if they air new eps when school is in session (elementary through university), there's a better chance that EVERYONE in the family will be on a regular schedule and watch the show. thus, they start seasons/series in late august/september and end in april/may. iunno. I guess it makes sense. personally, I'm fuckin' pissed that my goddamn dvr didn't record ep7 this weekend for some reason. that was new this week, wasn't it?

:evil:
Life ducks, and you sigh.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:38 pm

/me puts on duke nuke'm impression
sucks to be you, dink!
:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby tiberius on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:40 pm

dinky, I understand your point of view. The problem is not everybody knows that the States calendar is quite different from Europe.
To Be Continued...
tiberius
Red Shirted Trekker

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:03 pm

mxyzptlk wrote:This depends on your point of view.Cylons were created to 'serve' humans so they were basically slaves.Is it that bad to rise up & crush your oppressors?Besides,they have feelings & believe in a god so they can't be all that bad Wink

What? They nuked like 12 entire planet after 20 years of peace were they were left completely alone!! As for having feeling... that is like saying that Starlin had feelings even though he personally orded like 20 million to death camps... sure they have feelings but WHO CARES!!

Look at the states... those guys blow up a single building of theirs and look wat is happening.... these things nuked 12 planets killed zillions and are hunting down the only free survivors to the "end of mankind".

I just do not get the show... mabey I am stupid or something but I can not figure out the angle that the writers are getting at.. I mean am I supposed to identify with the cylons or that religious freak president? I mean the show is great the scifi it top class but I am just finding it hard to relate to what I think is happening...

Like when you watch Startrek and you love the show but the political correct, bullshit talk kinda makes you gag a little.
1: Capt. Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds 2: Captian Kirk 3: Capt. Matthew Gideon 4: Han Solo 5: Capt. Janeway 6: Admiral William Adama 7: Capt Jean-Luc Picard 8: Dr. Hans Reinhardt 9 Freeman Lowell 10 Zaphod Beeblebrox 11 Capt. Dallas 12 Cpatian Sheredon 13 David Bowmen 14 Admiral Ackbar 15 Capt Begimum Sisko 16 Turanga Leela 17 Capt. McCrea 18 Susumu Kodai 19 Flash Gorden 20 Commander J. J. Adams And the Wrost Capt. Carmen Ibanez
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:20 pm

I think the religious stuff in BG is real. there's the obvious wrinkle that the "good guys" are polytheists while the bad guys are monotheists. of course, they're also portrayed as religious zelot-like monotheists. kinda like "my god is the one true god and you non-believers must die." on the other hand, within the good guy camp, there's the actual, tibetin monk-like true believers who follow "the book" like it's a direct communication from "the gods" and then there's the rationalists like adama who is kinda like the han solo "kid, I've seen a lotta crazy stuff in my life time, but nothin' to make me believe that there's one all powerful force controlling my destiny. it's just a buncha tricks and...." he's got this marxist understanding of religion though, and he'll use it for his rational ends (which was to instill hope and a sense of purpose for the fleet in s1). so here we have these three, very common (in the world today) takes on religion/life/the universe/whatever. and each one is struggling to destroy and/or coexist with the other. that is this world today, right now. it's not about 'oh, I'll side with the cylons' or 'no, it's the humans.' it's more like: they're all basically human. what they're doing is what we do. and of course there's the I, Robot</i>/Bladerunner</i> theme about adroids dreaming of electric sheep and whatnot. anyway, that's the quick upshot of just the show's take on religion imo.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:29 pm

Yea a lot of wat you said makes sense... but it isn't the religion that is confusing me... it is more about the intentions.... I just can not see humans behaving like they are in that show... this introspective live and let them kill us attitude it crazy... we just do NOT act like that.

Look into history... a very famous example was pearl harbour... they bombed the yanks and the yanks decided that the best idea was to simple inprision the entire japaneese imergrant population... . THAT is how we all behave... not falling in love with a robot and then having everyone follow her around and get into arguments about weather her bed is soft and sheets are warm.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby spudthedestroyer on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:11 pm

Actually, if your talking about humans, the only thing thats constant is that we are hypocritical and don't make any sense. We know about the past but we repeat it over and over.

In the miniseries it covers the human intentions; they lost, they are a dispersed population with no chance of fighting or winning, so why not leave? That's whats traditionally happened here, i don't really understand what your getting at with pearl harbour, its seems pretty irrelevant to the series (especially since it was partly setup by the american governement to enter the war in europe, and to prevent japanese expansion... and american forces easily outgunned japan).

Whenever a population has been conquered, which is what happened, this isn't a level playing field, they
a) are imprisoned or exterminated ie. survirors on caprica
b) run away ie. Battlestar convoy. The cylon response is simple, they believe human nature means they can't do this, let it go, so lets track them down and kill them before they regroup and seek revenge.
I don't think your pearl harbour analogy is relevant beyond american nostalgia and association with the 'sneak attack', september 11th being the one i think they were actually going for. The actual scale meant not only was it an attack, it ended the war and the humans lost. Now the cylons are just doing ethnic clensing. The reason they haven't wiped everyone out is because its TV, and there's an angle they seem to be attempting i'll mention in a bit, and secondly, they seem to be dissecting and trying to study humans.

As for the religion, can go one of two ways; 1) its real, which would be the worst and unfortunately seems to be the route the series is taking 2) the cylons have set it all up for an elaborate reason ie. find out what it is to be human, find out if its true, etc.

Now if the cylons are religious fanatics, they can't exterminate all humans since the religious book says this and that about an exodus and finding earth. Maybe the cylons are following to earth to wipe that out too... maybe they already have done. Its only series 2 and its going at a snails pace atm.

Now that covers the plot and story, i don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the cylons though, they make little sense and one week are written one way and the other week are written the other way. This leads onto possible routes for the cylons.

They are completely open in which route they want to take, however knowing TV story arc cliché, I think the ultimate angle its taking is that they are sentient now, they aren't controlled. This means just like humans don't agree, cylons don't agree, and you'll see some of the cylons are merely there, not on either side as well as some of the cylons will betray or side with the humans. its completely open, they could all be "evil", its just this is TV we are talking about. It also explains why they make little to no sense sometimes. Who knows, maybe the cylons will just turn out to be a ripoff of the darleks and god is just some douche with lots of face putty and tinfoil stuck to him. I think its clear that the traditional cylons are just drones.

For an example of cylon behaviour, cast your mind back some episodes to when the different models of cylon are watching the air force navigator on caprica (i can't remember his name). They argue and bicker, and predict which way he's going to go, ie. is he in love with a cylon or not. They are clearly observing the humans so this all ties in to my assumptions about the future of the series above. The different models also disagree with each other, which shows that some of the cylons are likely to switch sides later perhaps.
ImageImage
ImageImage
spudthedestroyer

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:22 pm

I'm not weirded out by the cylons behaviour... it is the humans.... sure they can hunt us down.. I can see your point here ... I just can not understand the behaviours of the humans...

The comments about history (apart from your crazy conspiracy thing about pearl harbour) were just ment to point out how violently humans.. any humans for all of history, react when they are attacked in any major scale.... we get pissed off and we go phyco on anything that represents the enemy... is that "right" mabey not but it is the way it goes in reality.

I just can not come to terms with the way they are treating that Bommer cylon..
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:25 pm

I think he's annoyed that the new boomer wasn't shot dead asap by (1) helo, (2) starbuck, (3) either adama, (4) the rest of the fecking crew. I don't have a problem with it cuz boomer was</i> one of them and coming to terms with her "betrayal" is a murky issue. and boomer 2.0 really did save helo and starbuck and the resistance fighters and adama and hey, she even got them to the tomb of athena thingy. and yes, she could have killed them (and the whole fleet ostensibly) many times. hell, remember the strength of the cylon starbuck was interrogating? now that could be an inconsistency, except the new boomer, unlike the first one, is aware of her capabilities and chooses not to use them. so adama et al. have all that stuff weighing on the their mind, in conjunction with the sentiments toward the first one now clearly associated with 2.0. do they trust her? well...she's in a fecking holding cell, so I'd say no. but the back and forth makes perfect sense at least from the humans' point of view. what remains to be seen is whether 2.0 really does want to be human or if she's just following protocol and trying to produce a hybrid child, which is apparently what ALL of the cylons want, which might explain why they haven't just destroyed the fleet outright already. again, either possibilty works with the current narrative and it seems fairly clear that those are the two rationales that we're supposed to be contemplating.

edit: oops, took me too long to respond. lol
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:28 pm

Dinky wrote:what remains to be seen is whether 2.0 really does want to be human or if she's just following protocol

Damn right how on the 12 colonies could they trust her after wat her people have done so recently?
Jynks
Modding the Machine

Postby dinky on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:30 pm

not all germans were nazis, dude. and the "humanity" of these robots is at major issue in almost every episode.
dinky
"Beyond Simple"

Postby Jynks on Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:38 pm

hmmmm... i guess you have a point... still I have brit war cartoons talking to children to keep tabs on the german decent kids in their class... people are suspicious.

Still my money is on boomer betraying them somehow... most likely in a effort to save her baby or something..... but if you watch that ep when they find all the raped chicks hooked up to the baby makers, boomer says something like "if you humans went willingly we wouldn't need to blah blah blah" so based on that comment I think she is on board with the grand plan.
Jynks
Modding the Machine

PreviousNext

Return to Sci-fi Series